black and tan

castle milk ,dumfries and galloway hunted with very uniformal black and tan fox hound i think they were french oregan,what happened to them as far as i was to beleve they stopped hunting with them after the ban,did hunts around the country pick them up and what were they like compaired to the fell and welsh hounds

Edited by darren67

As far as I know there were other reasons than the ban that caused them to disband. But I believe the new pack has a massive country and a keen following, I hope to have a day with them this next season.

You sometimes see the black and tan hounds as odd drafts at other packs. I believe some of the Dumfrieshire hounds that you are talking about went as drafts to ireland and some to france but I may be wrong. I think some are also used as out crosses in blood hound packs.

They are reputed to have a grand cry.

the new dumfrisshire hounds are tri colour i think ,i wrote this post because i have never see a pack like them before and never seen any pictures up on this forum many thanks Darren

im sure i saw in the stud book that some hounds of the beaufort used a dumfrieshire stallion once not sure wether it wasnt in the line of mostyn todhunters hounds also carry lines back to studbook hounds but were based n john peels old lines there was two hounds bought from him by squire crozier originaly that most of barrys stuff are bred back to i cant remember the names of em sorry thre is a touch of tan in his stuff but they are predominantly black and white hence the local nickname of todhunters freisens you could ask of the breeding but i would say you would struggle to get the truth there like a secrtet society especially the cathra as you will know topscaff lol.

the picture i posted of the hounds in the trailer all carry cathra blood originally when disbanded the hounds from the dumfrieshire went to american and france and the old id say would of been pts

i just spoke to a mate from that way who is well informed on hounds and he said that unless todhunter wanted to walk foxes to death he definalty wouldnt of used any of em they were far to slow

as for the new dumfrieshire pack im sure the man that hunts em know fetch some with him and they took some form the bucluech and other packs to get going again

Some hounds did come to Ireland. Not to the scarteen though, they hunt a pack of kerry beagles all black and tan. We had a bitch from the Dumfries. The mink hounds in cork also had a few. They were sent everywhere. The new dumfries are no longer black and tan