• GSD
    • Other

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

FACT, pure salukis are capable of EASILY, and regularly, taking a wide variety of game, mice, rats, squirels, rabbits, hare, pheasant, fox, deer, they will work with falcons, guns, ferrets, either

Hes not asking whos got the best fox dog, to which you would get dozens of idiots replying. If you thought before you typed you would have no need to be careful of anyone.

What exactly are you asking ? Are you asking what would be the best CROSS with a Whippet or Greyhound; or, as the title to the post suggests, are you asking what would be the best pure bred, WITHOUT Whippet or Greyhound in it ? Very confusing !!

Cheers.

Sorry lad. what I am asking is what is the best all round pure bred dog in your opinion. if a pure grey and a pure whippet is not an option. that help?

Well in that case, the best "all rounder" in my mind would be a Saluki or a Deerhound, but neither would make a good allrounder.

Cheers.

Can a greyhound though in your opinion? :drink:

What exactly are you asking ? Are you asking what would be the best CROSS with a Whippet or Greyhound; or, as the title to the post suggests, are you asking what would be the best pure bred, WITHOUT Whippet or Greyhound in it ? Very confusing !!

Cheers.

Sorry lad. what I am asking is what is the best all round pure bred dog in your opinion. if a pure grey and a pure whippet is not an option. that help?

Well in that case, the best "all rounder" in my mind would be a Saluki or a Deerhound, but neither would make a good allrounder.

Cheers.

Can a greyhound though in your opinion? :drink:

No Dan, I don't think a Greyhound can make a good "allrounder", but, to me, they have to be the base blood in any running dog, and I personaly like about 50 percent Grey in a running dog :thumbs:

Cheers.

the best pure bred for me is the greyhound in its many forms and close by the saluki then maybe whippet and scottish deerhound ,saw and had some greyhounds as good as some people call lurchers , killed foxes roe hare and rabbit, she was a handy dog in her day there the spanish galgos goood dogs and some pure saluks if you get the [bANNED TEXT] ones that are good dogs ,twice ive saw greyhounds kill hares single in style , only fault was they didnt jump ,,but you realy need to no what to look for and check feet etc

Guest 2GOOD

those who voted for non sight hound breeds like collie bull and gsd do you think any of those could kill hares the way a saluki could?

no ,but they could fetch the news paper for you :D

those who voted for non sight hound breeds like collie bull and gsd do you think any of those could kill hares the way a saluki could?

Possible case of thinking with the heart and not the head, Some people are what you might call breed loyal especially with a certain breed that has become quiet a cult following. Its like when you support a football club, they might not be the best team in the world but they will be in your eyes. but to suggest a pitbull is a better allrounder than a deerhound or saluki is like saying that england will win the world cup :clapper: but I guess even the sun shines on a dogs ass some days :thumbs:

I would of thought the Borzoi and Irish wolfhound might have made this list certainly rate them alot higher than Australian cattle dog's or Collie's. I'd say the Bull arab is not a bad choice either though like the lurcher it is not really a pure bred though the originator of them is trying to make them one. This list is however a Uk based hunting one which sort of limits the choice to dogs that are good on Rabbits and hares. So i'd probably lean towards virtually any of the sighthounds as they would easily fit the bill. There are many other dogs i'd pick though for an allpurpose hunter in other countries where the game can be a bit more aggressive.

no ,but they could fetch the news paper for you :D

:clapper: :clapper: not many breeds can match a saluki on hare and the 3 breeds you mentioned would not even come close!! :thumbs:

FACT, pure salukis are capable of EASILY, and regularly, taking a wide variety of game, mice, rats, squirels, rabbits, hare, pheasant, fox, deer, they will work with falcons, guns, ferrets, either single handed or as part of a pack, they hunt, jump, kill and carry, and they can be used to hunt anywhere,

salukis only being good for hares on big fields is a load of absolute rubbish,

cocker

• Like 1

I would of thought the Borzoi and Irish wolfhound might have made this list certainly rate them alot higher than Australian cattle dog's or Collie's. I'd say the Bull arab is not a bad choice either though like the lurcher it is not really a pure bred though the originator of them is trying to make them one. This list is however a Uk based hunting one which sort of limits the choice to dogs that are good on Rabbits and hares. So i'd probably lean towards virtually any of the sighthounds as they would easily fit the bill. There are many other dogs i'd pick though for an allpurpose hunter in other countries where the game can be a bit more aggressive.

I've allways thought the 'arab would make a good addition to lurcher blood, also the catahoula, pity we don't have them here in the UK. The Borzoi we have here have more or less been ruined by the KC and the Wolfhound would add nothing at all to the lurcher, they are not the same dogs as you have down there, unfortunately.

Cheers.