• Bull
    • Deerhound
    • Saluki
    • Beddie
    • Wheaton
    • ACD
    • GSD
    • Other

A lot of people seem to ask the same question quiet a lot on this forum. What is the best all round lurcher. It would be interesting to know what people think is the best allround pure bred dog and see would this effect their choice on what they cross into a greyhound or whippet or not. for example a pure deerhound will probably be a better fox dog than a pure bull. but bull x owners will argue that a bull x is better than a deer x. I just want to see is there any correlation between the actual tried and tested working ability of the pure dog used and the cross bred lurcher or is it all about what coat, drive, strength,brain, feet etc the pure dog can add to the greyhounds speed.

cheers.

PS im un-biased as ive only ever ran pure greys.

Edited by Countryboyo

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

FACT, pure salukis are capable of EASILY, and regularly, taking a wide variety of game, mice, rats, squirels, rabbits, hare, pheasant, fox, deer, they will work with falcons, guns, ferrets, either

Hes not asking whos got the best fox dog, to which you would get dozens of idiots replying. If you thought before you typed you would have no need to be careful of anyone.

are whippets and greyhounds not purebeds aswell??

Ya but what im trying to look at is the breeds crossed into greyhounds and whippets to make lurchers. and see is there any correlation between the actual working ability of the pure bred or is it just what they can add to the grey

Ya but what im trying to look at is the breeds crossed into greyhounds and whippets to make lurchers. and see is there any correlation between the actual working ability of the pure bred or is it just what they can add to the grey

i understand that but theres lads that run whippet x greys that wouldnt be able to vote on this if you get what im saying like the whippet adds brains and stamina to the greyhound thats why they cross them!!! lol i found this out from a thread i started ages ago :thumbs:

Thats a hard one mate as different pure breds will be better on different game like a whippet would be better on rabbit than a deerhound would be. and the deerhound would be better on fox The beddy would be better at bushing ect ect ect thats why we have lurchers bit of this bit of that and try and get a good all round dog :thumbs:

I voted saluki because apart from the deerhound there are no other pure breeds on that list that I would want for hunting edible quarry rabbits hares deer thats the reason hunting began to get meat to eat and the saluki has stood the test of time as a dog that can do all 3 and some of them will take foxes etc in too the bargain :thumbs:

i understand that but theres lads that run whippet x greys that wouldnt be able to vote on this if you get what im saying like the whippet adds brains and stamina to the greyhound thats why they cross them!!! lol i found this out from a thread i started ages ago :thumbs:

I know you have a point there pal but im just trying to find out about the dogs that are added to the whippet or the grey as there is almost always one or the other in the makeup of a lurcher anyway. Just for the purpose of the pool we will leave them out this time. ;)

I know you have a point there pal but im just trying to find out about the dogs that are added to the whippet or the grey as there is almost always one or the other in the makeup of a lurcher anyway. Just for the purpose of the pool we will leave them out this time. ;)

:victory:

A lot of people seem to ask the same question quiet a lot on this forum. What is the best all round lurcher. It would be interesting to know what people think is the best allround pure bred dog and see would this effect their choice on what they cross into a greyhound or whippet or not. for example a pure deerhound will probably be a better fox dog than a pure bull. but bull x owners will argue that a bull x is better than a deer x. I just want to see is there any correlation between the actual tried and tested working ability of the pure dog used and the cross bred lurcher or is it all about what coat, drive, strength,brain, feet etc the pure dog can add to the greyhounds speed.

cheers.

How many pure greys have you run ?...any pics?

are you on about pure non sighthound breeds as i would be undecided on the pastoral breeds like the collie/shepherd and cattledog or kelpie.

My friend I am on about any of the dogs that are commonly crossed in to the whippet or grey in the creation of a lurcher. be they dogs whose ancestors were originally bred for the purpose of hunting, guarding, herding, fighting or sitting in their owners handbag. :thumbs:

What exactly are you asking ? Are you asking what would be the best CROSS with a Whippet or Greyhound; or, as the title to the post suggests, are you asking what would be the best pure bred, WITHOUT Whippet or Greyhound in it ? Very confusing !!

Cheers.

cheers.

How many pure greys have you run ?...any pics?

Mainly track/ex track greys lamping couple of coursing greys. not mine my cousins. Dont have pics of them, Il see what he says then i might get a few. Yourself?

What exactly are you asking ? Are you asking what would be the best CROSS with a Whippet or Greyhound; or, as the title to the post suggests, are you asking what would be the best pure bred, WITHOUT Whippet or Greyhound in it ? Very confusing !!

Cheers.

Sorry lad. what I am asking is what is the best all round pure bred dog in your opinion. if a pure grey and a pure whippet is not an option. that help?

Cheers.

Sorry lad. what I am asking is what is the best all round pure bred dog in your opinion. if a pure grey and a pure whippet is not an option. that help?

Well in that case, the best "all rounder" in my mind would be a Saluki or a Deerhound, but neither would make a good allrounder.

Cheers.