Stamina bull/greyhound vs collie greyhound

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i hunt big big fields.and my opinion is collie.x Gray x salukie.and for fcuk seak stay away from anything with bull in it.

Fitness is fitness whichever way you look at it... a 100% fit bullx will go all nite.. and put more determination in than any colliex will... colliex,s are well known for preserving energy by doing ju

i dont understand this run till it drops bit?? will they be running fast enough to catch a fresh rabbit then drop in full flight or will they not be anywere near the rabbits pace but still trying till

i would say the collie cross has more stamina i have seen a couple of bull cross owners having to carry there dogs on a good nights lamping havent seen any collie crosses being carried yet.

if i could have caught your man eater after he stoped chewing on me that night ,you would have had to carry him , : :laugh: :if you could have seen your face when i set of after him ,

but i forgive him , : :yes:

your face was a picture when you was telling me what had happened. i bet my dog still remembers it like it was yesterday as hes got a good memory.

Edited by Trigger

There are different types of stamina too. Are you talking about run after run like on a lamp, which they would have done for rabbit coursing back in the day? Or long runs a la hare coursing? A lot to do with recovery rates as well as actual physical stamina. I’ve seen a collie cross take a puncture through the throat, one through the chest, suffer a broken shoulder, broken leg, get an 8 inch gash in it’s flank and have it’s guts half hanging out, and still not let go of a wild boar. It certainly didn’t demonstrate some of the qualities that have been attributed to a collie cross in this thread. And I’m from a bull background and love them dearly. Not everything is black and white guys.

you sure that was a wild boar and not a challenger tank that dog ran into did the dog live thats some list of punishment for a dog to be still holding something

Go hog huntin half a dozen times and you will see just this. Its a rough deal, I know.

There are different types of stamina too. Are you talking about run after run like on a lamp, which they would have done for rabbit coursing back in the day? Or long runs a la hare coursing? A lot to do with recovery rates as well as actual physical stamina. I’ve seen a collie cross take a puncture through the throat, one through the chest, suffer a broken shoulder, broken leg, get an 8 inch gash in it’s flank and have it’s guts half hanging out, and still not let go of a wild boar. It certainly didn’t demonstrate some of the qualities that have been attributed to a collie cross in this thread. And I’m from a bull background and love them dearly. Not everything is black and white guys.

you sure that was a wild boar and not a challenger tank that dog ran into did the dog live thats some list of punishment for a dog to be still holding something

Go hog huntin half a dozen times and you will see just this. Its a rough deal, I know.

i have a saluki bull grey and a saluki whip grey with 1/8bull as the bull suits me but from what ive seen with my own eyes the more bull you add the less stamina you have but with collie ive seen the more collie you add the more stamina you get so that tells you which as the most stamina.you just have to use your brain collie dogs work every day day in day out i think people are always going to stick up for the cross they run but 90% of lads with dogs will of never had chance to do a hard night with the dogs :thumbs:

Fitness is fitness whichever way you look at it... a 100% fit bullx will go all nite.. and put more determination in than any colliex will... colliex,s are well known for preserving energy by doing just enough to get the job done.. sadly doing just enough doesnt do it any favours on certain quarry... atb stabba

:thumbs: true mate atb andri

sorry but i think were all getting our wires crossed as to what the topic and stamina is all about!! are we talking fighting stamina in that case bull x 99% of the time!! running stamina collie x 99% of the time!! theres going to be exceptions in both crosses but were as i dont doubt the bull xz NATURAL fighting stamina and its spirit and grit!! you should not doubt the collie xz NATURAL running stamina!! they dont compare end of!! :bye:

A collie was bred for out and out running stamina in the days when you had to walk your sheep for miles at a time, to keep all those sheep tight in is a lot of running, bulls have more mental stamina as someone has already said "I can't give up" but thats only really good for 1 quarry.

and don't call me biased I have a bull blooded dog.

sorry but i think were all getting our wires crossed as to what the topic and stamina is all about!! are we talking fighting stamina in that case bull x 99% of the time!! running stamina collie x 99% of the time!! theres going to be exceptions in both crosses but were as i dont doubt the bull xz NATURAL fighting stamina and its spirit and grit!! you should not doubt the collie xz NATURAL running stamina!! they dont compare end of!! :bye:

:clapper::clapper:

• 7 months later...

no i cant see a collie going 3 hours in the pit but i can see a collie going 3 hours on the hills theres no lurchers bread out of fighting dogs now but theres a lot of lurchers bread from working collies in stead of haveing a nice looking bull lurcher that might jack because is great great grand pareants went 3 hours in the pit but they do look nice dogs

no i cant see a collie going 3 hours in the pit but i can see a collie going 3 hours on the hills theres no lurchers bread out of fighting dogs now but theres a lot of lurchers bread from working collies in stead of haveing a nice looking bull lurcher that might jack because is great great grand pareants went 3 hours in the pit but they do look nice dogs

:thumbs::)

We’ve probably all heard the argument; collies are smart and bull terriers are dumb. Or should that be collie crosses are smart and bull crosses are dumb? They are both bandied about quite regularly and argued passionately on various internet hunting websites and (no doubt) beer tents the length and breadth of Britain. Both crosses possess drive aplenty and can’t be criticised for heart. There’s also the argument that both types are trainable, although there’s a certain element of “Pavlov’s Dog†to some collies I’ve seen. Some collie aficionados clearly see the bull as just a brute, rather like The Hulk – all brawn and no brains – only able to destroy things regardless of the damage done to themselves while they do it. I would be foolish to deny that there’s an element of that to their psyche, but there’s far more to it than that.

A collie is more of a natural dog in my opinion. What I mean by that is that like most animals, a dog will attempt to avoid injury when faced with danger. Fights between animals in the wild are generally a lot of posturing and threat, with very little actual sustained physical contact. A little like the Maoris and their Hakka – a display to intimidate with a view to avoiding physical confrontation. I guess that this is due to the fact that even the slightest injuries in the wild can mean death due to the risk of infection. It’s the natural order and dogs are no different. Bull terriers are a bit of an exception though. They possess an attribute that very few other animals have – gameness – that ability to “over-ride†that natural desire to avoid confrontation and push on despite receiving punishment themselves. Not all have it, and the ones that don’t are not fit to carry the name of the bull terrier. This is a peculiar trait that acts as an “over-ride†button when it comes to perceived intelligence. Certain people I have spoken to over the years have said that their (non-bull blooded) lurchers are too intelligent to get punished on their quarry and invariably this is down to some conferred ability or “knack.†Fair enough. I own non-bull blooded lurchers myself, but to put the bull crosses down for a perceived lack of intelligence is unfair. Let’s take a human analogy – it’s like saying that all rugby players are the equivalent of Neanderthals; or that all boxers are brain dead. It’s simply not true. They know they might get hurt by following their vocation, but that doesn’t stop them doing it. Does it make them stupid? I had a little bull terrier that I trained as a quasi gun dog. She would obey hand commands and was a lovely, well mannered dog who was a joy to own. Put her to her quarry though and she was a demon. I have said many times before it was as if she loved being bitten. She was brutal and driven and unflinching, and if she wanted to, she could have stayed out of harm’s way. She never did. Does that mean she was dumb? Well the same dog was still my gun dog and she would invariably do both tasks within hours, if not minutes of each other. It’s the “over-ride†switch. If you have a dog that knows when this switch is needed and when it isn’t, then you have the makings of some tool in your yard. Does this make bull crosses dumber than collie crosses? No, but it doesn’t make collie crosses smarter either. Accept that you’re dealing with different things and move on. I personally don’t keep a bull blooded dog of any kind anymore, although I probably will in the future. Many of you will know that I keep collie crosses now, as they suit the work that I do. It absolutely boils my piss though when I hear other lads who run other types, especially collie crosses, talk down to bull cross lads. They might not suit the work that you do, but they are far from stupid. They can be intelligent, trainable and sociable, but they can also possess a fury that has to be seen to be believed when on their quarry. At the end of the day, what do I care what type of dog another man uses to run at game? I won’t tell a bloke what he should and shouldn’t be feeding and I’ll expect the same courtesy in return. Good luck to them all.