khan or mallignaggi

..Joe Calzaghe will go down as one of the all time great British fighters,you wont find a more protected fighter than him yet he was loved for it !

You're right, I followed Calzaghe's career, first time I seen him was against Delaney for the British title. I didn't believe he had what it takes to win the world title, until he put that great performance on against Eubank, he really won me over in that bout. Like you said though the many fights that followed that were a disgrace - Sobot the robot, Giminez, Thornberry, Veit (twice) Will "On Fire" McIntyre (or what ever it was he called himself), That Peurto Rican when Calzaghe came into the ring in a suit of armour (Can't remember his name), Mger something or other, Ashira, Salem, Bika, Manfredo :icon_eek: They were all CAT!!!!

He did have quite a few decent bouts and IMO did beat everyone at Super Middleweight worthy of challenging him, but the Super Middleweight division around that time was infamously low on the ground for talent. Bar Ottke who like Calzaghe was reluctant to leave his own country there was no one else left to beat.

Reid wasn't a bad opponent at the time, Woodhall wasn't great but wasn't bad, Starie (probably the worst title fight I've ever seen) Sheika, Brewer, Mitchell, none of them super stars but at least were dangerous. Then he ruined Lacy's career, had a cracker against Kessler (which I attended) and although it was a shit fight still got the win over Hopkins. They were all decent opponents at the time I think.

The Jones Jnr bout wasn't the best for him at the time because Jones Jnr was past it, but fighting Jones Jnr was something he always dreamed about so I wont be too harsh on him for that.

• Like 1

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You're right, I followed Calzaghe's career, first time I seen him was against Delaney for the British title. I didn't believe he had what it takes to win the world title, until he put that great perfo

if he's not untouchable he's going to get ktfo,his talent is not as far reaching as rjj or hearns,look at what happpened to rjj when he his speed dissipated.....

even if he becomes defensively sound as you put it he will get hit still,khan's defence was bettter than feather fisted willie limmond's offense,yet he still got tagged,he will never be good enough to be unhittable like rjj in his prime

what im saying is to neutralize his chin khan needs to be untouchable

Why are you making comparisons to all time great fighters ? nobody is saying Khan will ever be an all time great....from his third pro fight i had bets with about 20 people,even 4 or 5 off this forum that Khan would win a version of a world title inside 3 years...most people laughed at me !....what i also said was he would probably lose it soon after.....so as you can see i have never claimed he was a great fighter or ever would be.....your comparison to Hearns is not accurate,he had a far worse chin and far worse powers of recovery than virtually any other fighter of that magnitude.....again,its maybe a little before your time but look at what happened when journeymen like James Kinchen or Roldan caught Hearns with even scuffs,he would be hanging on for dear life,it was part of the excitement around a Hearns fight as it was do or die....but it still didnt stop him from making the most of his talent and ability....on a smaller scale it wont with Khan either.....

I say again,if you honestly think you know better than Freddie Roach then maybe he could benefit from a phonecall from you,save wasting his time and all that :thumbs:

if he's not untouchable he's going to get ktfo,his talent is not as far reaching as rjj or hearns,look at what happpened to rjj when he his speed dissipated.....

even if he becomes defensively sound as you put it he will get hit still,khan's defence was bettter than feather fisted willie limmond's offense,yet he still got tagged,he will never be good enough to be unhittable like rjj in his prime

what im saying is to neutralize his chin khan needs to be untouchable

Why are you making comparisons to all time great fighters ? nobody is saying Khan will ever be an all time great....from his third pro fight i had bets with about 20 people,even 4 or 5 off this forum that Khan would win a version of a world title inside 3 years...most people laughed at me !....what i also said was he would probably lose it soon after.....so as you can see i have never claimed he was a great fighter or ever would be.....your comparison to Hearns is not accurate,he had a far worse chin and far worse powers of recovery than virtually any other fighter of that magnitude.....again,its maybe a little before your time but look at what happened when journeymen like James Kinchen or Roldan caught Hearns with even scuffs,he would be hanging on for dear life,it was part of the excitement around a Hearns fight as it was do or die....but it still didnt stop him from making the most of his talent and ability....on a smaller scale it wont with Khan either.....

I say again,if you honestly think you know better than Freddie Roach then maybe he could benefit from a phonecall from you,save wasting his time and all that :thumbs:

gnasher khan has talent know doupt , he will be steered by roach , he will avoid certain people,

to amass a fortune for him and his managment but he is chinny and if and when he meets a power

puncher it will be good night ,khan

..Joe Calzaghe will go down as one of the all time great British fighters,you wont find a more protected fighter than him yet he was loved for it !

You're right, I followed Calzaghe's career, first time I seen him was against Delaney for the British title. I didn't believe he had what it takes to win the world title, until he put that great performance on against Eubank, he really won me over in that bout. Like you said though the many fights that followed that were a disgrace - Sobot the robot, Giminez, Thornberry, Veit (twice) Will "On Fire" McIntyre (or what ever it was he called himself), That Peurto Rican when Calzaghe came into the ring in a suit of armour (Can't remember his name), Mger something or other, Ashira, Salem, Bika, Manfredo :icon_eek: They were all CAT!!!!

He did have quite a few decent bouts and IMO did beat everyone at Super Middleweight worthy of challenging him, but the Super Middleweight division around that time was infamously low on the ground for talent. Bar Ottke who like Calzaghe was reluctant to leave his own country there was no one else left to beat.

Reid wasn't a bad opponent at the time, Woodhall wasn't great but wasn't bad, Starie (probably the worst title fight I've ever seen) Sheika, Brewer, Mitchell, none of them super stars but at least were dangerous. Then he ruined Lacy's career, had a cracker against Kessler (which I attended) and although it was a shit fight still got the win over Hopkins. They were all decent opponents at the time I think.

The Jones Jnr bout wasn't the best for him at the time because Jones Jnr was past it, but fighting Jones Jnr was something he always dreamed about so I wont be too harsh on him for that.

Im not clever like you i dont know how to highlight didfferent things you said :icon_redface: ....so

As regards Khan....is he doing anything different to Calzaghe ? no.....so why is he getting slated for hand picking fights.

As regards Benn/Eubank...i cant say i remember the deal with King you are probably right though,i know Frank Warren was keen to keep him on the outside so it would make sense what you say i just cant remember it to be honest.

As regards Calzaghes career,i was at that Delaney fight also as the family were from my manor so to speak,you probably remember the intense atmosphere,Calzaghe later said it was the most hostile arena he ever fought in :whistling: ....have you ever read Calzaghes book ? he makes reference several times to the fact he never took a fight he thought he might get hurt in....he referred to the Benn/Eubank/Watson series of fights as " fights i wanted no part of ".....ok honesty is great but its not something that went down well within the sport,gym talk and what not.

I would be harsh on him regarding the Roy Jones fight,ok fine he always wanted to fight him,but when you decide early in your career that your not willing to leave Wales to fight the big names,yet later in your career do a 360 turn and announce your joy at fighting in America when it just so happens these great fighters are way past their best.....leaves a sour taste in the mouth of most.

The same as 95 % of pro fighters gonetoearth....some have no power,some have no endurance,some are 1 dimensional...most fighters have faults and at top level its a chess match of avoiding certain styles no matter what fault any fighter has....Khans fault is a poor chin,it wont stop him doing exactly what you describe,the same as it never stopped any other fighter doing exactly what you describe.....the idea is to ride the wave as long as it lasts Khan will be no different.

Edited by gnasher16

The same as 95 % of pro fighters gonetoearth....some have no power,some have no endurance,some are 1 dimensional...most fighters have faults and at top level its a chess match of avoiding certain styles no matter what fault any fighter has....Khans fault is a poor chin,it wont stop him doing exactly what you describe,the same as it never stopped any other fighter doing exactly what you describe.....the idea is to ride the wave as long as it lasts Khan will be no different.

:yes: , by the way great manager for the hammers

Is it f**k :censored: ....I didnt want the first foreigner let alone this one....the Hammers have a long tradition of bringing through young talent,like Zola did this prick will forget about youngsters and buy average foreign players instead.....besides which,what exactly has he done apart from take Portsmouth to a cup final....he aint good enough for West Ham mate. :icon_redface:

Edited by gnasher16

Not above comparison :blink: ...according to you Nigel Benn is above comparison yet now your on about Roy Jones !

Styles make fights mate,always has done and always will....every fighter alive picks the fights that will suit them stylistically its nothing new......sooner or later most fighters will have to face a fighter who does not suit them and thats the proving time.....but very often thats not till later in their career ( like hatton ) or in calzaghes case,never :D

well khan's chin is comparable to rjj's is it not?and look at what happened when he lost his speed.khan does not have that speed to lose nor has he through his talent been able to gain the wealth of experience did.

the version of jones without his super human speed is not at all a great fighter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sVMrmTBKlQ&feature=player_embedded

Khans chin is comparable to Roy Jones,what on earth are you talking about....so apart from Khan being wobbled by a Limmond jab and getting knocked cold by Prescott....exactly what have you based this conclusion on about Khans chin ?....also,with your theory about Roy Jones,are we to believe that it is BECAUSE he lost speed he also lost punch resistance ?.....the clip you posted was the type of thing a kid would put together who has no real idea about the game of boxing,why didnt you go all the way and put Muhammed Ali on there seeing as Joe Frazier,Henry Cooper and a couple of others decked him.

My guess is you have never been in or near a ring in your life have you blan.

jeeesus! i didnt make the clip i just thought it was funny,

no i believe jones' punch resistence was always poor just he was near untouchable at his best when his speed was there

khan hasnt got the speed but he has got the chin or lack of it.

yes i have boxed since i was little kid ive had to give up because i broke my wrist and 3 metacarpals in my right hand in a fight about 2 years ago,before that i boxed for a local club and later my regiment.

what gym did you or do you box for?

You need to make your mind up lad,apparently a fighter with no punch resistance cant make a top level fighter,thats what this whole debate is about !!!...now your saying Roy Jones,arguably an all time great fighter,always had a poor chin !

Roy Jones had fantastic timing,ring presence,speed and general boxing ability....plenty of fighters over the years have had a poor chin but still made it big,thats my whole argument that you was saying is impossible !...talk about going round in circles.

As for what ive done,a long time ago and not being one to big myself up i,ll simply say i boxed at decent level in good company....but a long time ago.

As for what ive done,a long time ago and not being one to big myself up i,ll simply say i boxed at decent level in good company....but a long time ago.

getting a 7 year sentence for importing 1 million quid of cannibis is what finised your career was it not gnasher lmfao not a injury like most people

at least you got your own gym out of it and your mock tudor mansion brand new maseratti sports cars and range rovers

who said crime does not pay

your still lowlife money or not

getting a 7 year sentence for importing 1 million quid of cannibis is what finised your career was it not gnasher lmfao not a injury like most people

at least you got your own gym out of it and your mock tudor mansion brand new maseratti sports cars and range rovers

Now i don't know this fella,or if what your saying is true, but calling a man lowlife for bringing in a bit of puff seems a bit harsh. there's far worse a man can do in life.

Guest eastmids

Now i don't know this fella,or if what your saying is true, but calling a man lowlife for bringing in a bit of puff seems a bit harsh. there's far worse a man can do in life.

this is purley related to your post,in my book you import weed, crack, coke your scum theres no difference, dirty scum.

Calling names from a keyboard,grow up !

Look.....next time your passing stop by and i,ll make you a nice cuppa rosey and we can discuss whatever issues you have,but if i ever catch you peeking over my fence im going to crush your larynx with my boot ;) ....a stalker i can handle but i draw the line at peeping toms !

Edited by gnasher16

no i never said a fighter with no punch resistence cant make it but they need to have something to stop them getting hit i.e incredible speed,i do believe roys chin was never good he didnt prove otherwise imo and when he became hittable he was no longer a great fighter.

khan can not become unhittable (to a good fighter) and he has no chin

No fighter is unhittable....herol graham was elusive and hard to hit but he was never unhittable as styles make fights....

We,ll agree to disagree Blan and leave it at that,good to hear your thoughts though,all the best :thumbs: