Training to Point

Hi there,

Our GWP has finished her first season on pheasants, coming onto her second, we hope to have her pointing. We've already tried a live pigeon after i read in an old book of my dads, but with little success, she just picked it up and retrieved it, it was well hidded and tucked away on all times.

Could anyone give me some advice on training her to point, or is it just a natural thing.

Kind Regards

jack

Hi there,

Our GWP has finished her first season on pheasants, coming onto her second, we hope to have her pointing. We've already tried a live pigeon after i read in an old book of my dads, but with little success, she just picked it up and retrieved it, it was well hidded and tucked away on all times.

Could anyone give me some advice on training her to point, or is it just a natural thing.

Kind Regards

jack

Hi jack. Yes some pointing instinct should already be apparent. With some Wirehairs, it develops later than others. Mine was pointing out of the box. Others took as much as two years. I don't know why.

One of the keys to bringing it out. Is to not let the dog catch any birds. So, if your going to plant birds. Don't dizzy them up very much. pigeons are good because they are strong flyers. But they have to be freshly caught. I might try resting the dog from birds for a little while after an incidental catch.

How did she do on pheasants? Was she pointing them? if not, a more basic approach may be required. Perhaps bringing her in on birds with a check cord. Sometimes bringing the dog in across the scent cone will help to trigger a point. When she points. Go to her, say a couple good girls in a soothing voice than pick her up and carry her back away from the bird. repeat a couple times then stop. Go again in a day. It takes alot of bird contacts to anchor pointing. If you can work her on wild birds. your way ahead of the game. Guide her in with your whistle so she cuts across the scent cone. If she bust in on the bird anyway. The bird should be able to get away. Just walk away without taking any notice. If she chases the bird will leave her far behind. This way she'll teach her self that she can't catch birds. When she'll hold the point is when you want to shoot birds for her. This way she learns that the way to get birds is to stand there while dad shoots them for me.

Thats kind of it in a nut shell. Some dogs are easier on this than others. if your GWP has alot of pray drive. Your going to have to be a little patient with her. Like anything else make it as fun as possible for her and always end on a happy note.

I hope this helps.

ATB

it will/should happen naturally, the best way to encouage it is to give the dog the birds to do it, dogging in at a shoot for instance or planted pigeons in a trap or dizzied, alot also depends on the training so far, if your dogs has been allowed limited free hunting then that may the problem.

i would combine the above using a "check cord" or "hip lead" to take her to the birds she is interested in and holding the point/lay with her. if you have traps/cages you can release the bird and shoot( not at that bird but a dead one your helper has behind you which he throws out to be retrieved) that way you will always have sucsess and she will alwys be picking up(positive experiance). any birds she does not point will not be shot at(wild birds while free training) this way she will soon catch on that quarry can be bagged ONLY with you and ONLY when pointed out by her.

it can take a while but its great fun to see them coming on.

i have only seen gsp/gwp not point if allowed to hunt up too early with other dogs.

how old is she and when did you start her out of interest?