yapping

has it just started doin it, if so have you looked at feet or legs for injury`s etc,

was the ground soft or hard with frost etc, try it on a good soft field on a cupple ov easy rabbits and try to end the night on a kill keeps the dog keen for next time it goes out,

never give up on a dog till you have tryed every thing you can, if still no good use it for ferretin or bushin, just a few things i would try befor rehomein

hope all turns out ok mate.......lamp

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

here listen u set of fukin divs, "22" what a load of shit why should you shoot your dog just because it yaps, il tell you something if i seen you with a gun raised at your dogs head u wud be in a early grave pal trust me

totaly agree, dont think theres any need to shoot any dog. was at the local dog obediance class with me new pup and me mam and her pup working lab. there was a bloke there with a russel x lakey dog that got burned all over with tabs when he was a pup, he now three and will atack anything or any one, except his new owner. the bloke says the dog is gradually improving but still needs to be , mussled when out. when practicing his retrieve his mussle is removed but kept on a long lead. was watching the dog doing his retrieve and he loved every minute of it, really enjoying his self. the bloke who took him on wasnt what i would call a full shilling but i have great respect for what he done and the effort hes putting in to this badly abused dog.

has it just started doin it, if so have you looked at feet or legs for injury`s etc,

was the ground soft or hard with frost etc, try it on a good soft field on a cupple ov easy rabbits and try to end the night on a kill keeps the dog keen for next time it goes out,

never give up on a dog till you have tryed every thing you can, if still no good use it for ferretin or bushin, just a few things i would try befor rehomein

looked at what ,there is a big difference to a injury and a yap ,and has for hard ground and soft and frost ,your fecking kidding of course :D

Edited by 2GOOD

Does it matter?

if you like the dog just work him anyway and if your hunting is legal why get yourself tied up in knots about it.

i worked a terrier as a bushing dog for the gun and lurchers and she yapped like a b*****d but we knew what was coming and where it would break cover.

who knows it might even stop with enough work and a few of the tips given here.

Good luck with it and try not to get to stressed the dog wil be picking up on that as well

Very good points -If you like your dog and can live with the yapping, keep it .

If the sort of work you intend to use him for will be seriously affected by his noise you might have to think again of course ,not an easy descision if you've put a lot of effort into his training and have built an otherwise good relationship with him. Not many dogs are perfect in every way it just depends on the sort of hunting you do as to the effect of these percieved faults . Some classic rabbiting dogs like Pharoah/Ibizan types and Podengos tend to yap when working and it is considered a usefull trait as it makes it easier to follow the progress of the dog when it is out of sight .

Not so usefull of course when you are trying not to disturb the peace on a small patch of land here in Britain though.

Yapping does seem to be caused by excitement but it is also a natural trait that is used to call other members of the pack to assist in the chase . Just watch how when two dogs are working and one gives a yap the other dog will usually rush to join its companion in the hunt .

looked at what ,there is a big difference to a injury and a yap ,and has for hard ground and soft and frost ,your fecking kidding of course :D

my bitch never yapped but started 2 a few times couldent figer it out looket at her feet and she had a rip between her toe`s and when she turned she yapped but on wet soft fields was fine

lamp

Like others have said, check for even the slightest injury, such as a small thorn embedded somewhere that maybe "nicking" as she turns, take it back to basics and re-train, only enter on easy and not too far away quarry, loads of time on a flirt stick witha skin, then try again after a long long walk etc..

If nothing happens then use the dog in the daytime for ferreting/bushing etc.. if not then either keep as a pet or rehome as a pet, but definately no PTS as some have said.