a good first lurcher???

am lookin for some help as to what a good first lurcher would be, a small 1 though as too the big crosses, mainly for rabbits, but with the capability for other things!! done shooting and ferreting most of my young life only 23 but want to get into the dog side of it,

any advice cheers :)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

collie x greyhound mate good first dog. Ive got one myself and she is my second lurcher they are all you need no other x is better as my dad as had collie crosses most of his life.here is a pic of mine she is first x she stands 23tts 2cfe06h.jpg atb minzy :toast:

Edited by minzy

I would say collie/greyhound for a first dog at your age there quick learners and decent all rounders,but may be to big if you wanted a smaller dog maybe a bedlington whippet, that was the first running dog i had when i was a kid and i had some great times with him and i learnt alot from that little dog ive never owned the cross again not through any fault to the dog just because as i got older my interest in bigger things pulled me to other dogs

thanks for the replies fellas, i live in leicestershire and that would be excellent if i could go out with a few different dogs to get me goin!!

i was thinkin along the lines of a whippet x collie or something similar as only got a small house and things

cheers

With my first lurcher being a bitza thats the route i would go down just look for a litter thats been bred worker to worker and if you want a smaller cross maybe a bitza with beddy.whippet or collie that can throw pups under wat we used to call the ideal measurement 24 inch to the shoulder.atb dell

With my first lurcher being a bitza thats the route i would go down just look for a litter thats been bred worker to worker and if you want a smaller cross maybe a bitza with beddy.whippet or collie that can throw pups under wat we used to call the ideal measurement 24 inch to the shoulder.atb dell

Yep :thumbs: , worker to worker and [might] not be to hard to train. 1/4 collie is more than enough for most game, that you might tackle.