What is the weight of these compacts? I'm in the market for a new mod but want something lightweight, with the Wilcats tipping the scales at nearly 1kg I had discounted them. but if the compact makes a considerable difference they might be back in the running.

Ok, I have just weighed it on a set of Salter 1036 WHSSDR 3309 Electronic scales, and it came back with 590g every time!

:thumbs:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best I could do quickly, I don't have a camera, these are with the phone...

My T3 Lite .223 Predator 8 Compact

My T3 Hunter .243 Predator 8 Compact

My 700SPS .308 Predator 8 Compact

The tube you can see just below the T3 Lite at the top is the sleeve from a Full length P8 and fits about where it would, the baffle stack at the front is identical, so this shows how much longer (and heavier) the mod is in full length version!!

Edit....Balance wise it took me about 2 years to sort the T3 Lite, that's what led me to the Compact P8 to start with, the T3 Hunter is straight out of the box and the 700SPS had about 3" cut off the barrel, the balance on all 3 is VERY good now!!!

I've got the full length wildcat and it really does make the rifle front heavy. Deker how much does it cost to get it converted to a compact model?

Thanks

Ben

You would have to check with them... http://www.wildcatrifles.co.uk/

I think it cost me about £80, but don't quote me, it must have been 18 months back.

You need a new shorter sleeve, new shorter internal tube and probably a new bush if your barrel tapers.

got teh ase and its superb. not big like the over barrel mods. dont mark the barrel like most of them do. and there really soild build. ive had mine close to 3 years now and not a mark on it. it fixed so cant strip it down. but you look down the baffles and there is never any gunk in the way.

Quite heavy though I seem to remember, not that you'd notice it on your cannon 8)

they are not the lightest but there compact. i wouldnt swap for any other mod out there. those over barrel ones look like coke bottles ha ha

I had the ASE S5 on my .223 to start with and it was the weight that made me dump it, certainly not the build or the sound suppression which was definately good, but the balance of the P8 COMPACT, being over the barrel rather than out front was definately better!

But all my guns are "light", so it is difficult to get something that does not screw up the balance completely!

:thumbs::thumbs:

cheers for the info deker!! I think im guna get rid of my PES and try the P8 compact cheers again

Don't forget to make sure you get the right Calibre Inserts, they are availlable in all these sizes, .17, 22, 243, 25, 27, 30 , 338, 375, 44.

When I first got my .223 Wildcat P8 they had a much smaller selection of sizes, and I ended up with the .243 size, when they introduced the .22 size, and I heard the difference it made, I saved some more pennies and bought that, it does make it a bit quieter again, so I have quite a lot of spares for the P8 now!!!

...But all my guns are "light", so it is difficult to get something that does not screw up the balance completely...

This is the thing, I have a T3 shortened to 20" and my current mod, which is 700g isn't helping on the balance front, one of a couple of reasons I want to get a lighter mod that so that my rifle doesn't feel like there is a bag of cement hanging on the end.

Ase S5 is 600 grams and the compact is 555 grams .

I seem to recall (it was a while ago now) my S5 was 660g, and the Compact IS 590g (don't believe the hype), the S5 hangs off the end of the barrel and The Compact is an over barrel version!

It makes a lot of difference to the balance!!

...But all my guns are "light", so it is difficult to get something that does not screw up the balance completely...

This is the thing, I have a T3 shortened to 20" and my current mod, which is 700g isn't helping on the balance front, one of a couple of reasons I want to get a lighter mod that so that my rifle doesn't feel like there is a bag of cement hanging on the end.

This was the problem I had with my T3 Lite, the barrel is 19.5 inches now and it also has about 150g of lead fixed just inside the butt plate, the balance is the best of all my rifles now...just :thumbs: .

My T3 Hunter is straight out of the box (but it is the new, shorter barrel, pre threaded version), the Compact went straight on it and balance just isn't an issue!!

"My T3 Hunter is straight out of the box (but it is the new, shorter barrel, pre threaded version), the Compact went straight on it and balance just isn't an issue!!"

My hunter is 20inch barrel, .243, carries a PES mod and the balance is dreadful. I'd like to feel Deker's hunter with the compact on. More Importantly, I'd like to shoot it because I'm assuming that it is the extra weight of the mod soaking up that recoil that has transformed it from an unmoderated animal into the joy it is to shoot now.

"My T3 Hunter is straight out of the box (but it is the new, shorter barrel, pre threaded version), the Compact went straight on it and balance just isn't an issue!!"

My hunter is 20inch barrel, .243, carries a PES mod and the balance is dreadful. I'd like to feel Deker's hunter with the compact on. More Importantly, I'd like to shoot it because I'm assuming that it is the extra weight of the mod soaking up that recoil that has transformed it from an unmoderated animal into the joy it is to shoot now.

I thought those PES were meant to be OK!!

Don't know what makes it good and easy to shoot but with the 90/100g it is easy and with the 58g it is a pussy cat!!

Mr L has used mine on several occasions and on the strength of that has just bought a Tikka!!

Anyway, my club season starts soon, I'll be up at Bisley a bit in the weeks and months to come, you can't be all bad if you have a Tikka, give me a shout some time and we'll see what we can do!! :thumbs:

Edited by Deker

I seem to recall (it was a while ago now) my S5 was 660g, and the Compact IS 590g (don't believe the hype), the S5 hangs off the end of the barrel and The Compact is an over barrel version!

My S5 IS 600g and is 3 years old well used , don't think 60 g has fallen of it though . Says 580g on ASE site but is deffo not 660g.

I have not got a compact but would look at one when my old T8 starts to show its age.

Compact is shown as 540-570g on the site so allowing for their tollerance i would say 560-590g depending on caliber so the smaller caliber is still lighter than the p8 and got better results in sporting rifle .

i suppose its a bit like the go-kart/ f1 analogy ?

My S5 IS 600g and is 3 years old well used , don't think 60 g has fallen of it though . Says 580g on ASE site but is deffo not 660g.

I have not got a compact but would look at one when my old T8 starts to show its age.

Compact is shown as 540-570g on the site so allowing for their tollerance i would say 560-590g depending on caliber so the smaller caliber is still lighter than the p8 and got better results in sporting rifle .

i suppose its a bit like the go-kart/ f1 analogy ?

Cant argue with the S5 weight, it was from memory like I said!!

But the Compact I just weighed tonight on a brand new digital scales..so I hope it is right at 590g.

It's also the way it sits on the rifle, but as I also suggested earlier I was very happy with the build and moderation on my S5, I actually changed it originally for the full length P8 and that made the gun better balanced, so when I found a way to reduce the weight of the P8 even more by converting it to a Compact I did it, a great success, so much so they are on all my guns now.

I do not, and never have suggested these are the best (define best :hmm: ) moderators going, but they provide a package of sound moderation, price, weight, ease of maintenance, spare part availability etc that I can live with!!

Oh yes...and they are British made, if anyone cares about such things any more!! :thumbs: