long net

Hi all,

trying to make my own long net (25 yrd to start) :):cry:

i need some help as to the height

i.e. how many meshes high from top to bottom or how many meshes do i start on a ring/stick ?

any pointers what so ever would be great also how to get bagging in it. is this taken from the length ?

i know that i can do it with sheet netting but this is a project for me and my lad (keeps him off the

Playstation :laugh: )

cheers

anton

hi mate, start it off with 14 or 15 meshes. Use a 2 1/8" mesh board, this will give you a full mesh size of 4 1/4"

For a 25 yard net, you want to knit 850 rows. This is 50 yards stretched. When you put the lines onto the net, your lines will be 25 yards long.

Therfore by threading 50 yards of net onto 25yards of line, you get your bagging.

Im currently knitting a 50 yard net (100 yard stretch) and i have only just past half way mark. It takes time, and it is a labour of Love.

good luck

The correct killing mesh of a long net should be 4 1/2 " full stretched diamond mesh so you can achieive a good killing net of only 12 mesh deep provideing there is plenty of running slack, the smaller the mesh size I would advise to make the net a mesh or two deeper, I.E. 4 " 15 md 4 1/4 14mesh deep but your net must have plenty of running slack I.E. 50yrds set lenght you must at the least knitt 100yrds of net, these sizes are for tradditional long net set ups, Ive never used the quick set method of long netting but I doubt if there is mutch difference in the make up of the nets , mesh sizes depth E.T.C. REGARDS :drink:

cheers rabbithunter

this bit demoralised my lad "For a 25 yard net, you want to knit 850 rows" :blink::blink::cry: :11:

he is quick though, ......bit more practise won't hurt. :11:

james b ..... we are doing it in hemp as i have found nylon can cut hands and fingers i know it will be abit heavy if wet etc but i like hemp more that nylon for purse nets so i thought we would give it a try on a long one

any suggestions for cheap poles ?

cheers lads any more tips are welcome

cheers netrigger

now managed to suss "bag" out thanks and there was me thinking it was in the height :icon_redface: :whistle: bloody hard when you have nothing to go on :(

Hand made Hemp Nets are great to work with in the field, there heavy going when wet so I would advise making your net with 3ply hemp. As for nylon thers plenty of good spun types of twines that handel like Hemp but are less weight when wet so a lot kinder on your arms when picking up.

Hand made Hemp Nets are great to work with in the field, there heavy going when wet so I would advise making your net with 3ply hemp. As for nylon thers plenty of good spun types of twines that handel like Hemp but are less weight when wet so a lot kinder on your arms when picking up.

Take heed of this man chaps,.. ;)

Edited by CHALKWARREN
Wish you luck if your going to try making your own longnet ,i use bought nylon longnets easier and cheaper i reckon

yes bob, they are easier, but i'm sure lads that have hand knitted their own longnets, have been that extra bit happier when using them in the field, with some factory made longnets, the net is quite deep, leaving an enourmous tail when picking up.

As mentioned, im only half way with mine, but im sure that once it is finished, and i have used it, i will want ALL my nets to be spun nylon.

cheers lads

thanks for all of your tips we will see if we get to the end before the seasons over :11:

Was out today checking my permisions and as there are a lot of hedgerows i thought i

would use longnets (prob brought nylon ones) with purse nets on some holes

dogs were marking like crackers wish i'd taken a ferret along :cry:

still, plenty of time yet.......

once again lads thanks for all your help :clapper::clapper:

cheers rabbithunter

this bit demoralised my lad "For a 25 yard net, you want to knit 850 rows" :blink::blink::cry: :11:

he is quick though, ......bit more practise won't hurt. :11:

james b ..... we are doing it in hemp as i have found nylon can cut hands and fingers i know it will be abit heavy if wet etc but i like hemp more that nylon for purse nets so i thought we would give it a try on a long one

any suggestions for cheap poles ?

cheers lads any more tips are welcome

cheers netrigger

now managed to suss "bag" out thanks and there was me thinking it was in the height :icon_redface: :whistle: bloody hard when you have nothing to go on :(

Hi Anton, i also make all my own nets, from purse to stop nets and also long nets. My son has also just finished a 50 yard hemp long net which as previously advised should contain 100 yards of net to 50 yards of line.I f i may be so bold as to offer further advice concerning net making .Firstly on the actual making of nets, Anton you mention both cut hands and pinkies when using nylon...now i assume that you mean 4z which as rabbiters is pretty much the min we would use. The only way [other than having furnace hands] to avoid said problem is to realise this..and read this carefully.. all ..ALL the strain of biting up the knot is done on the needle.You must get this right if you wish to use thin twines. I have made several hundred yards of 4z longnets. Also when using nylon [ you will love this bit] most times it will need to be double knotted.The key to both good net making and fast net making is to [assuming that you,re right handed] clamp with the thumb of the left hand the last mesh made, but as you come up through the next mesh keep it a quarter inch away from the last mesh, this gives space for needle to come through, form the knot as normal, and using a short length of twine off the needle, bite the knot up in just the one pull and immediately head for the next mesh[for hemp].Slip knots are the beginners occupational hazard, if you [snigger snigger] manage to get one keep the mesh clamped with the left hand and pull hard in an upward motion with the needle to bite the slip underneath the mesh and then make a complete new knot on top as per normal, if you slip that as well.....consider buying your net!! sorry to get longwinded all the best Maps. Over and out :yahoo: