Ferreting season in the uk ?

Hi all :thumbs:

I share a shoot with a couple of ferreters and i was just wondering if there is a closed season for hunting rabbits with ferrets.

The reason i'm asking is because i've being going to a nearby estate for about a year and have been mainly shooting rabbits from a highseat on certain warrens. I have noticed that on the days when the rabbits are few and far between , the ferreters have loads of Rabbits hanging from their land rovers roof racks , and have clearly had a good day.

As a non ferreter i was just wondering if there is a closed season in the uk which would then maybe give me some decent sport lol ,

Many thanks ,

John :hmm:

Edited by mjr88

as the rabbit is classed as a pest species there is no "season"

but you'll find you get two different answers, those who ferret for sport/pleasure will only ferret in the winter months

those of us that ferret as pest control, will do it all year round if asked

yes most bunnys are below ground in the day so ferreting is best way. we pack in ferreting when the weather changes. as the rabbits start to breed. and the ferrets kill the young below ground. and then its stop start all day. isnt worth the bother