50g/ 1¾oz sweet potato, peeled and cubed

2 baby leeks, chopped

4 tbsp red wine

1 lime, juice only

For the parsnip crisps

vegetable oil, for deep frying

3 parsnips, peeled and cut into long thin ribbons

1 tbsp clear honey

small handful of each fresh flatleaf parsley, mint and coriander, plus extra to garnish

75g/2½oz Greek yoghurt

Method

1. For the curry, heat one tablespoon of oil in a frying pan over a high heat, add the venison and fry for two minutes.

2. Add the curry powder, turmeric, cumin seeds, bay leaves and chilli flakes and cook for a further three minutes. Remove from the heat and keep warm.

3. In another frying pan, heat a tablespoon of oil over a medium heat and add the sweet potato and leeks. Cover with a lid and cook for five minutes.

4. Add the venison to the sweet potato and leeks and cook for three minutes.

5. Add the red wine and lime juice and cook for two minutes. Remove from the heat, and keep warm.

6. For the parsnip crisps, heat the oil in a deep heavy-bottomed saucepan, until very hot or until a breadcrumb sizzles in it (CAUTION: Hot oil is very dangerous. Do not leave unattended). Carefully lower the parsnips into the hot oil, and deep fry for six minutes or until golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.

7. Transfer the crisps to a serving plate, and drizzle with honey.

8. To serve, stir the herbs into the venison curry, reserving some coriander for garnishing. Arrange the curry on top of the crisps with a spoonful of Greek yoghurt on top and garnish with the coriander,try this mate just put tiny pinch chillie,curry powder is medium one,just use a mild one instead, job done :thumbs:

Edited by watchman

hi mate this is my mothers recipe - she was born in india. Its pretty labour intensive but its the real deal....just change the rabbit for venison. :thumbs:

Rabbit legs and saddle enough for 6 people

1 cup oil (Veg or Olive)

2 Large Onions

6 Cloves

6 Cardamoms

2-3 medium pieces of cinnamon bark (Or powdered cinnamon)

Fresh coriander (Optional)

2 tsp (tea spoon) Ginger (can be bought pre-blended in jars)

4 cloves Garlic (can be bought pre-blended in jars)

1 ½ tin chopped tomatoes

2 tsp sugar (Optional)

1-2 tsp Salt

3 Over heaped desert spoon Curry powder by "BOLST’S"

1 desert sp powdered coriander seeds (Indian name is Dhanya)

1 desert sp powdered cumin seeds. (Indian name is Jeera)

2 tsp Garam masala (Optional)

Preparation

Joint the rabbit as you see fit

Chop onion some fine and some course

Chop coriander - fine

Grate Ginger & Garlic

Method

Heat the oil (Heat till it smokes a little if using olive oil, has funny flavour if not)

Fry onion till golden brown

Lightly fry Cloves, Cardamoms (Pop open cardamoms), medium pieces of cinnamon bark (Or powdered cinnamon)

Add Curry powder & Guram masala, then powdered coriander & powdered cumin. Fry really well until brown but do not burn the paste.

Lightly fry ginger and garlic

Add the Rabbit and stir fry for about 10 mins making sure the paste has coated all the meat.

You can leave it to marinate for a while at this point by covering the pan and simmering slowly till some juices come out of the meat.

Add the chopped tomatoes, Chopped Fresh coriander, sugar, Salt. Occasionally stirring gently until meat is cooked on a very low heat until the rabbit is tender (could be up to 3 hours if old rabbits)

Remember to tell your guests not to eat Cloves, Cardamoms & cinnamon bark… I try to pick out as much as I can before serving.

Enjoy with lots of beer or white wine !!! :boogie:

here is also the recipe for hoem amde pilau rice...again VERY labour intensive and hard to get right but its amazing once you have got to grips with it.

Pilau Rice

Use BASMATI rice ONLY (none of this American long grain stuff !!)

Work on basis of 1 cup dry rice for 2 people (2 cups for 4 etc)

Water - use 1 ¼ times the amount of water as you do rice.

So 2 cups rice = 2 ½ cups water

1 medium onion finely chopped

3 Cardamoms

½ tsp powdered cardamom

2 medium pieces of cinnamon bark

6 Cloves

Large knob of butter

Salt

2 Bay leaves

Sliced almonds

½ level tsp cumin seeds

¾ cup oil

Method

Wash the rice well in cold water drain out as much white starch as you can.

Put rice in a Strainer and leave to drain off

Heat the oil (Heat till it smokes a little if using olive oil, has funny flavour if not)

Fry onion till brown

Take onion out of oil and put aside to use later

Lightly fry Cloves, Cardamoms (Pop open cardamoms), medium pieces of cinnamon bark (Or powdered cinnamon) & powdered cumin.

Fry the washed strained rice in the oil for a few mins. Don’t stir too much, only about twice and very gently. Don’t fry for too long or it will not absorb the water later

Pour in the water (can be hot or cold)

Bring to boil, but do not continue to boil

Put in a large oven proof pan with lid.

Add the Large knob of butter, Salt, 2 Bay leaf & ½ tsp powdered cardamom

Put on the lid and place in oven on low heat (160 deg - gas No 2) for about 20 mins. Once rice has soaked up all the water, take out of oven, slightly open lid and leave to stand for about 10 mins

Now grill/roast the sliced almonds till golden brown (Not sure if you call it grill there, but what I mean is place on a tray and put under heat like you would toast or pan fry with NO oil)

Gently tease up rice with large fork, adding half the fried onions (and some boiled peas if you like) as you do so.

Place in serving dish & sprinkle rest of onion on top with grilled sliced almond

here is the recipe for home made pilau ruce - VER labour intensive but once you have got to grips with it, its easy. :yes:

Pilau Rice

Use BASMATI rice ONLY (none of this American long grain stuff !!)

Work on basis of 1 cup dry rice for 2 people (2 cups for 4 etc)

Water - use 1 ¼ times the amount of water as you do rice.

So 2 cups rice = 2 ½ cups water

1 medium onion finely chopped

3 Cardamoms

½ tsp powdered cardamom

2 medium pieces of cinnamon bark

6 Cloves

Large knob of butter

Salt

2 Bay leaves

Sliced almonds

½ level tsp cumin seeds

¾ cup oil

Method

Wash the rice well in cold water drain out as much white starch as you can.

Put rice in a Strainer and leave to drain off

Fry onion till brown

Take onion out of oil and put aside to use later

Lightly fry Cloves, Cardamoms (Pop open cardamoms), medium pieces of cinnamon bark (Or powdered cinnamon) & powdered cumin.

Fry the washed strained rice in the oil for a few mins. Don’t stir too much, only about twice and very gently. Don’t fry for too long or it will not absorb the water later

Pour in the water (can be hot or cold)

Bring to boil, but do not continue to boil

Put in a large oven proof pan with lid.

Add the Large knob of butter, Salt, 2 Bay leaf & ½ tsp powdered cardamom

Put on the lid and place in oven on low heat (160 deg - gas No 2) for about 20 mins. Once rice has soaked up all the water, take out of oven, slightly open lid and leave to stand for about 10 mins

Now grill/roast the sliced almonds till golden brown (Not sure if you call it grill there, but what I mean is place on a tray and put under heat like you would toast or pan fry with NO oil)

Gently tease up rice with large fork, adding half the fried onions (and some boiled peas if you like) as you do so.

Place in serving dish & sprinkle rest of onion on top with grilled sliced almond

a had a pheasant curry last week. a got two jars of tikka massala sauce from the local supermarket. took the breasts out the pheasant and cut them up in to reasonable chunks and maranated them in a hot and spicy powder then fried it in the wok for a about 15 mins then added the massala sauce and let it simmer for another 20mins. it was brillaint and the brother loved it aswell. could try that with the venison, just a idea for ye

atb poacherman

We have venison curry often and agree completely with Langouroux about the Basamati rice. It's the only way to go.

I like the dry mixes you combine with yogurt.

I make what I call "white boy" curry so the rest of my family will eat it.

I use about 1/3rd the dry mix with the full amount of yogurt.

Toss in a handfull of diced carrots and green peas.

Be sure to get naan (the proper bread) when you're at the store.

Cheers,

Mark

hi mate this is my mothers recipe - she was born in india. Its pretty labour intensive but its the real deal....just change the rabbit for venison. :thumbs:

1 cup oil (Veg or Olive)

2 Large Onions

6 Cloves

6 Cardamoms

1 ½ tin chopped tomatoes

2 tsp sugar (Optional)

1-2 tsp Salt

Preparation

Chop coriander - fine

Grate Ginger & Garlic

Method

Lightly fry Cloves, Cardamoms (Pop open cardamoms), medium pieces of cinnamon bark (Or powdered cinnamon)

Add Curry powder & Guram masala, then powdered coriander & powdered cumin. Fry really well until brown but do not burn the paste.

Add the Rabbit and stir fry for about 10 mins making sure the paste has coated all the meat.

You can leave it to marinate for a while at this point by covering the pan and simmering slowly till some juices come out of the meat.

Add the chopped tomatoes, Chopped Fresh coriander, sugar, Salt. Occasionally stirring gently until meat is cooked on a very low heat until the rabbit is tender (could be up to 3 hours if old rabbits)

Remember to tell your guests not to eat Cloves, Cardamoms & cinnamon bark… I try to pick out as much as I can before serving.

I made this, this morning whilst waiting in for Parcel Force and have just eaten a plateful, absolutely lovely. Thanks for posting.

1 cup oil (Veg or Olive)

2 Large Onions

6 Cloves

6 Cardamoms

1 ½ tin chopped tomatoes

2 tsp sugar (Optional)

1-2 tsp Salt

Preparation

Chop coriander - fine

Grate Ginger & Garlic

Method

I made this, this morning whilst waiting in for Parcel Force and have just eaten a plateful, absolutely lovely. Thanks for posting.

good stuff mate! gald you liked it...what meat did you use? my mum uss chicken things alot of the time...we prefer meat on the bone. mmm mmm