growling spaniel

Started a few months ago my dog would growl at my mum or dad but still come over to them and have his head scratched my mum just even has to say his name and he can start it it can get quite loud but he wouldnt bite he has started doing it to me the odd time is he trying to speak!!!! :) not sure why he has started doing it

Edited by Blakloks

Started a few months ago my dog would growl at my mum or dad but still come over to them and have his head scratched my mum just even has to say his name and he can start it it can get quite loud but he wouldnt bite he has started doing it to me the odd time is he trying to speak!!!! :) not sure why he has started doing it

could he be in pain when moving get a vet to have a look at him

The strain i have are known to do it but its a freindly growl wile at the same time showing their teeth as if they are smileing but never have their hackels rose or tried to bite i have often wonderd if its to get attention as its puzzeld me a bit.atb dell

What strain is yours?? When he does it his tail goes down and he creeps slowly towards you others times the tails wagging away and he comes charging in hes a strange wee chap but an absolute joy to have and to work as he rarely misses a bird and is steady as a rock

What strain is yours?? When he does it his tail goes down and he creeps slowly towards you others times the tails wagging away and he comes charging in hes a strange wee chap but an absolute joy to have and to work as he rarely misses a bird and is steady as a rock

Mine are mostly gwibernant quarry brae and rytex robbie way back.atb dell

could be talking to you in a friendly way, my cousins dog does it, but could be mistaken for nastiness, only you can judge though mate,

All my dogs do this in different ways to greet and sing. Usually with any dog you can tell the intentions from the sound/pitch of the bark/growl (like human voice tone) and the body language combined. If you think it is being dominant show it who the gaffer is. If it's being aggressive I'm sure you know what needs to be done :hunter:

my cocker does it all the time to my misses telling ehr he likes her but done not toch him haha when she does he shows his teeth grows a lot and after he is all over her to say sorry with me he never does it because i never take nothing off him he does what he wants at home when he is out he is a diff dog does what i say every time

could be springer rage,my mates just had his put down at 8 years old.it started like yours a couple of year back then it started biting and then snapping at people and the last year it got really bad going for everyone even kids locking on and going for the throat and it wouldnt know it even did it tail wagging and all that,might not be like but thats what happend to his,so i googled it and it said springer rage.

It may be trying to express dominance and assert himself as pack leader. There are certain things you should do to counter it such as never allowing it to go through a door in front of you. The dog whisperer on tele is good to watch.

Springer rage is more of a complete transformation from normal behaviour to a raging mad dog in a split second with no warning.The eyes glaze over and there is nobody home if you know what I mean.

Edited by welshboy454

cheers for the info guys when he does growl my dad can put his hand in his mouth and he doesnt even look like biting when he goes under the kitchen table and you look under it he can start it as if to say this is my area he tends to do it more after periods of rest or at night like today he had been left for a couple of hours and i came in he growled a bit then we were rolling about playing but when he comes over for a clip the tail can go down submissevly and he can come over growling abit talking to him makes him do it more or when he sneaks up on my bed someone just crosses the door way and he can let off a low growl he may just like some alone time :blink:

starting to sound like dominance pal, you need to show him its not acceptable.

It could really get out of hand mate, I wouldn't go the heavy heavy approach though...ignore him, at first and if it persist I'd have a squirty water bottle & squirt him for the growling with a firm no, it sounds like he thinks he's boss.No dog should be growling at there owner on a regular basis.

I definitely don't thik he is communicating as first thought :thumbs:

• Like 2