Tikka what twist rate

most shooters go for the 1 in 12 twist, but if you want solely to shoot the heavier range of bullets in the .223 range, then you will need the 1 in 8 twist..

the reason you need the faster twist for the heavier bullets is because heavy bullets always tend to be longer in length and require a faster twist rate to stabilize the bullet as it travels down the barrel....

ATB.

Snap.

Cheers Bob

I still have the problem of which twist rate you get the option of the 8 or 12.

The rife would be ordered with the muzzle already threaded so barrel lenght would be 1020 mm

Cheers

Harry

I would opt for the 12 just for the fact of more bullet options,some lighter bullets can rip themselves apart in tight twists and if you only want it for hunting or out to 300yrd 50 or 55gr are plenty

Hello Gents

Thinking about getting a Tikka Lite SS in 223, just wondering which twist rate would better there is an option of two.

Cheers

Harry

The Tikka .223 was 1-12 up to about 4 years back when they changed it to 1-8. About 2 years ago they went back to 1-12 but seem to have kept up the 1-8 as well (either that or they just have a lot of 1-8 stock)

My .223 T3 Lite stainless is 1-8 and it handles everything from 40-75g no problem at all, they all group very well and in a test at Bisley at 200 yards they were all in a neat verticle line dictated by the bullet weight.

To be honest I don't know why it handles them all so well, the maths would suggest it shouldn't, but is does!!! :hmm::hmm:

Edit, Target wise I tend to use 62g and out in the field 50 or 55g and they work!! :thumbs:

Edited by Deker

I'd get the 1:8 personally, I think it's more versatile - they often work with a lot of different bullets. Ric - No, they do 1:8 or 1:12, so you gotta pick one.

My old Remington was 1:9, and that worked nicely too, I just wished it stabilised 75gr A-max - if it had I would still have it.

get the 1 in 8 why limit yourself to the lighter bullets if the 1 in 8 shoots them well.

only thing i will say is your find it hard to get a 1 in 8 twist in the moment there waitng on them over here and they have been waiting for months

Many thanks for all the replies it's appreciated. I will have a call about to see if I can get one worst case is I will have to order one but that's no big deal.

Cheers

Harry

You obviously haven't had any dealings with GMK before then!!!

I have three Sako's so yes I have dealt with GMK

Just spoke to one of there reps this morning no chance of getting the 1:8 for a minimum of 9 months but can get a 1:12 end of next month.

Some things are just worth the wait.

Cheers

Harry