Rabbit Hounds.

Tyla and I had a day with the Pevensey Rabbit Hounds yesterday.

8 1/2 couple of mixed hounds. Bassets, Griffon Vendeen bassets and one pure beagle.

This pack was formed 2 years ago but due to one thing and another havent done much until this season.

They started with some drafts from another pack but have recently imported some hounds from France and have more on the way.

We were hunting a wooded area, lots of rabbits which mostly went to ground but there were one or two nice hunts with successful conclusion! The hounds to my mind did not hunt as a pack very well, prefering to do their own thing but did go to cry fairly well. I should imagine in time they will pack together, but as a relatively new pack they need more work put into them.

If I had a serious rabbit problem this wouldnt be my first choice for controlling them but I very much enjoyed the day with this pack and will certainly go with them again.

Hopefully the hound who decided he would rather hunt than box up will be rather better behaved next time!!post-19946-126444419688_thumb.jpg

post-19946-126444412132_thumb.jpg

post-19946-126444414497_thumb.jpg

post-19946-126444415978_thumb.jpg

post-19946-126444418064_thumb.jpg

8 1/2 couple of mixed hounds. Bassets, Griffon Vendeen bassets and one pure beagle.

This pack was formed 2 years ago but due to one thing and another havent done much until this season.

They started with some drafts from another pack but have recently imported some hounds from France and have more on the way.

We were hunting a wooded area, lots of rabbits which mostly went to ground but there were one or two nice hunts with successful conclusion! The hounds to my mind did not hunt as a pack very well, prefering to do their own thing but did go to cry fairly well. I should imagine in time they will pack together, but as a relatively new pack they need more work put into them.

If I had a serious rabbit problem this wouldnt be my first choice for controlling them but I very much enjoyed the day with this pack and will certainly go with them again.

Hopefully the hound who decided he would rather hunt than box up will be rather better behaved next time!!post-19946-126444419688_thumb.jpg

looked like fun i do the same thing with a couple of beagles am now starting their pup. 10 weeks old so long way to go.

[

Always liked the look of the griffons, are they based in Northern England?

Having never been out with rabbits hounds I didnt really know what to expect. We had a really good day, the little hounds really worked hard and there were plenty of rabbits above ground. Alot of rabbits were hunted and sighted and one was killed. There were some exciting chases and we were lucky enough to be in the right spot for several of them

Thanks to herdwick for the Invite and Ian for the days hunting :thumbs:

post-10910-126445249531_thumb.jpg

nice pics mate,did they not riot in those woods ;)

They seemed to take notice of the horn well, they were spread out at times but worked steadily. Im no expert though, only followed hounds a handfull of times!

Leveller.

I have just spoken to the master of the rabbit hounds about Milo, the teckel cross.

He did have this hound when he first started his pack some 2 years ago but he no longer has him.

He did have a hound from the Ryford Chase recently but I dont know what its called.

As for them packing together, iv seen packs of beagles ruined through being allowed to hunt rabbit, I wonder if any packs of rabbit hounds will ever really hunt steady as a pack? Im not trying to be clever and hope someone can tell me different as we are thinking of starting a basset/beagle pack next year to hunt all quarry that runs (within the law).

Hi DIDO. I only have half a dozen little Rabbit Hounds and they pack together well but I think because of the fact its rabbits we are hunting we will often get a loose Hound or two depending on how many rabbits are on the ground. Just my findings! Regards Warren

post-11010-126501281732_thumb.jpg