landrover defender 110 hard top td5

Hi folks

I am looking for some advice on the landrover defender 110 td5 as i am looking to buy one but the problem is i have went through 4 4x4s this year, form 2 pajeros that wernt that bad apart form being guttsy but i didnt really like automatics, had l200 warrior it blew up on me conrod through the bottom of the engine,also had a disco and that didnt last to long tho it was a banger when i got it, i want somthing that will last, heard the hiluxs have got good engines but are weak at the back end so been looking at the defender can anyone give me some info on them and do they last the course and what like are they for long distance driving and off road. do the defenders ever have common engine faults or have any major problems. dont want to be buying anymore crap, need somthin strong for long distance and off road.

And you think your going to get over all mechanical problems getting a landrover, do they have common faults, ha, ha, ha...get a landrover, get a pair of overalls to go with it mate

Hi folks

I am looking for some advice on the landrover defender 110 td5 as i am looking to buy one but the problem is i have went through 4 4x4s this year, form 2 pajeros that wernt that bad apart form being guttsy but i didnt really like automatics, had l200 warrior it blew up on me conrod through the bottom of the engine,also had a disco and that didnt last to long tho it was a banger when i got it, i want somthing that will last, heard the hiluxs have got good engines but are weak at the back end so been looking at the defender can anyone give me some info on them and do they last the course and what like are they for long distance driving and off road. do the defenders ever have common engine faults or have any major problems. dont want to be buying anymore crap, need somthin strong for long distance and off road.

And you think your going to get over all mechanical problems getting a landrover, do they have common faults, ha, ha, ha...get a landrover, get a pair of overalls to go with it mate

So what you saying pal, do you not rate them, what faults do they carry seen you know a bit about them

youre talking rubbish mate and no im not going to start spouting about jeremy clarkson and his old hilux that started after getting dunked in the sea. I have a ford ranger and find it very comfortable on road, good on fuel (if you get more than 25 to the gallon from any landrover then you are a liar) and perfectly competent off road for what the vast majority will use them for, granted it isn't as good off road as a defender but as the chap says if he is going to do long journeys then i could think of no worse a vehicle to be contemplating that in than a defender. I won't just slag landrovers because i like them and if i didnt do alot of road miles and had a couple of socket sets gathering dust then i would have one but for a comprimise work and play vehicle then the ranger and the hilux take alot of beating. please justify your comments on the ranger being a gas guzzler, how? Mine is a 3 litre tdci and i am yet to return a consumption figure of less than 30 to the gallon. Shoguns are poo, this is correct, as are all mitsubishis for that matter. To say the hilux has a gearbox looosely based on a series 1 is utter claptrap and about as appropriate as saying that the boeing 747 is loosely based on the spitfire in that they both fly! defenders will always have their die hard fans but i think they seriously lag behind in reliability, fuel consumption, comfort, refinement and power

:clapper::clapper: classic...the ford ranger!!! now i do know a little about them as we were very seriuos about getting one as a tow vehicle to replace the mitsy...you havnt mentioned the piss poor steering lock.and its common knowledge that they are SHITE on fuel...they are cheap for a reason..you mention comparing a 747 against a spitfire..thats like a model t and a ranger but i guees they were both shite on fuel and both had a shite steering lock :boogie::boogie::tongue2: it would be a boring world if we all liked the same.but ££ for ££ landrover cant be beaten.i will say the new defender's have gone through some cost cutting and even the LR bulkhead has had the air vents blanked and it looks bloody awful.tight feckers... also the paint is crap and on our 08 90 the bumper started going rusty after four months...

Common knowledge that they are shite on fuel? Have you any evidence to back this up? I've owned landrovers (defender, series 3 and discovery) an old range rover, toyota hilux, mitsubishi shogun and l200 and i had a new navara on loan for a little while so i know a bit about trucks too. Out of all of the above the ranger is the best on fuel, fact. Granted they have a turning circle of a supertanker but if you look at figures the turning circle is actually tighter than the new 110. Have you worked out what any of your landrovers do to the gallon? Because i did, Scotland and back in a 110 td5 manual fully laden returned 23 to the gallon on road tyres properly inflated and vehicle recently serviced inclusive of new air filter. My truck again fully laden with tonneau cover on road tyres averaged 35 to the gallon all the way to the south of france and back. That is not bullshit. When i bought my truck last year i didn't do so on a whim, i could have bought a brand new defender or any of the pick up trucks for similar money. I went for the ford because it has the longest service intervals, has the best fuel consumption, most horse power, not an inordinate amount of creature comforts to go wrong and parts are easy to come by should i ever need them (i didn't need them for 180,000 miles in my old ranger) and last but most importantly not least is that the ford ranger is infact not a ford which i think is its strongest selling point as it is merely a Mazda with a ford badge on. It all depends what you need a vehicle for, if i were purely going off road then the ruggedness and low gearing of a defender would be my top choice, however, for jumping in and doing 300 miles without complaint, towing a 3.5 ton trailer to yorkshire and back, moving the horses around, loading up with wheat and driving around the shoot, standing in the back and crawling round the orchards lamping bunnies i personally cannot knock my ranger at all.

Common knowledge that they are shite on fuel? Have you any evidence to back this up? I've owned landrovers (defender, series 3 and discovery) an old range rover, toyota hilux, mitsubishi shogun and l200 and i had a new navara on loan for a little while so i know a bit about trucks too. Out of all of the above the ranger is the best on fuel, fact. Granted they have a turning circle of a supertanker but if you look at figures the turning circle is actually tighter than the new 110. Have you worked out what any of your landrovers do to the gallon? Because i did, Scotland and back in a 110 td5 manual fully laden returned 23 to the gallon on road tyres properly inflated and vehicle recently serviced inclusive of new air filter. My truck again fully laden with tonneau cover on road tyres averaged 35 to the gallon all the way to the south of france and back. That is not bullshit. When i bought my truck last year i didn't do so on a whim, i could have bought a brand new defender or any of the pick up trucks for similar money. I went for the ford because it has the longest service intervals, has the best fuel consumption, most horse power, not an inordinate amount of creature comforts to go wrong and parts are easy to come by should i ever need them (i didn't need them for 180,000 miles in my old ranger) and last but most importantly not least is that the ford ranger is infact not a ford which i think is its strongest selling point as it is merely a Mazda with a ford badge on. It all depends what you need a vehicle for, if i were purely going off road then the ruggedness and low gearing of a defender would be my top choice, however, for jumping in and doing 300 miles without complaint, towing a 3.5 ton trailer to yorkshire and back, moving the horses around, loading up with wheat and driving around the shoot, standing in the back and crawling round the orchards lamping bunnies i personally cannot knock my ranger at all.

we had a ranger on demo and it was to be used soley as a tow vehicle and the best we got out of it was very low 20's.hence with the piss poor lock we didnt have it.i didnt like it at all.granted the tall service intervals and lower price £4000 cheaper than a landy we would of had it..we did ask if it was a bad one and even the sales man said the fuel economy was correct for what we were doing..going slightly

off track i used the shogan today and needed 4wd and the feckin thing is now stuck in 4wd and wont come out..piece of junk!!!!!! it'll sit were i dumped it until the weather pics up so we can get it sorted....the pics i posted of the 110 crew cab is returning a very easy 30mpg day in day out with my heavy footed mrs driving,it has a hybrid turbo,pump has had some major work, bigger intercooler and produce's a genuine 163bhp at the wheels it was on the rollers in the summer..im not looking for a fight and what i am saying is fact made up of opinion's based on my own expieriance's not idol pub banter...

i have a 110 double cab, 55 plste,done 72k miles,I have had it for 7 month and have had absolutely no problems.

I had a ranger before, was a fine enough machine, was the previous 2.5 model. found it did around 25mpg to the gallon. Also found my back hurt like buggery after a long journey, aberdeen to skye or aberdeen wick.

I find my defender comfier although would prefer more right elbow room.

If i fill it usually put in around 60 quid of fuel and get about 450 miles before i refill it,that is made up of commuting, shooting and generally just running around.

I love my landrover, but will consider a hilux when it is up for change. I may stay with LR and am looking forward to seeing what they come up with for the new defender in 2012 or I may go to a disco again.

My mitsi SWB was pants and I couldnt kept in fuel. My disco was fine until i wrote it off. My ranger was fine as well, but see above.

For me I like my 110 double cab, other folk prefer theres. Looked after I have never had any problems with any of my landrovers and I have had 2 x discos (wrote one off, sold one) a 90 ( upgraded to the swb mitsi, mistake) and 2 x double cabs.

Different strokes for different folks is the most appropriate saying i can muster! Like i said before, if i were purely off roading then defender would definately be my no. one choice. Mitsubishis are shit, agreed. The new rangers are leaps and bounds ahead of the older mark ones and twos. I was going to get a hilux but i just cannot get along with that new shape, they just dont seem like a hilux should.

Guest alastair

ive had quite alot of 4x4 mostly whilst abroad,mitus were shit ,rusted out,nissans better,hilux good also isuzu,this was afwe years back,had 99 plate l200 which was thirsty,a mate got the new one blew the diff lock while pulling a van out.the new navaras had problems to with conrod and safety issues,the hilux are tempting,all pick ups got a shit turning circle and light back ends,i had6 isuzus and find them ultra reliable,but am liking the 110 pickup,but just heard about the new vw amarok pick up which could just piss on all the jap stuff.

the td5 will lack the power, its fly by wiring and all computer driven, you can notice the computer driving it when ye put ye foot down, try get a 200 or 300 tdi, much easier to work on IF they need it and a lot more guttsy engine, mate of mine does the offroad challenges and had the 200tdi in his 90, he changed the lump to a td5 which was put back to a 200tdi within 3 months, so judge for yeself,

just go and get a 4.2 landcruiser nice and comfy good on the road bloody awesome of the road and comes with front and back /centre diff locks as a standard fit no optinal extra s and 30 -31 mpg , i have a 92 model 80 with 377,000 on the clock and the lumps never been touched in fact ive just done the front wheel bearing s but its had very little done to it and its just flew through it mot