Got the all clear from the missus

I've made a couple of posts asking some questions and done a fair bit of research. Badgered the missus left right and center and she's finally ok'd getting a dog. We have decided we'll probably go for a Labrador although there are a couple of other types I fancy (springer still isn't off the list).

Now as I've never ever had a dog I'm quit nervous about getting the basics right. My main concern is whether a pup is best or should i try to get a slightly older dog. With a pup It's going to be a fair while before I can take it out for walks which I am really looking forward to, but then I supose bonding with a pup is easier? Is it common to try and get a dog that is say 9 months old? While the dog will be getting walked in the morning and evening (when it's old enough) it will need to be left alone in the day when I am away at work (half the year). Can you leave a very young pup alone or would it be better to have a slightly older dog 6-9 months?

Sorry for the daft questions.

For a 37 year old I'm well excited ha ha!

Cheers

I'd say a pup, Lab or Springer, you can get the bond right with a pup, getting something a bit older is risky, it may already have problems set in, if your new to training you may not spot these and this is where problems snowball. Theres plenty of books, dvds, and gundog trainers/clubs out there for info and advice.

Whatever choice you make, i hope it turns out well.

Baz

ps above is only my opinion :thumbs:

good sound advice Baz, Nik I am with Baz on this you get a strong bond with a pup, you want to tie getting a pup in when you are at home for a lengthy period, that bond will never be broken, with a older dog you are miles behind, you have missed all the excitement and going from scratch, someone will have already been the dogs world or on the other hand it could be riddled with problems.

I think for your needs a nice well bred lab will be ideal, springers in my opinion need more than that walk around the block when you can't be bothered, they need 100% commitment.

You have every reason to be extremely excited when i was awaiting my first springer, i couldn't attend work with excitement haha i couldn't function. stay intouch and let us know how it goes, I CAN ASSURE YOU everything will be fine, you seem very committed.

Ricky

The longest time I get at home is 4-5 weeks, I could try to time it for when the missus is off school during the summer hols but aat some point after that we'd both end up at work at the same time. I do have a 17 year old who I could ask to come home from college at lunch to check up on the pup?

I recon with all hands on deck we'd be able to keep it busy but the first few months might be tricky....do they keep themselves fairly well occupied during the day if they ahve toys etc?

Also would a pup be ok outside in the day once the weather gets a bit warmer? I would imagine that the extra room for running about would be good, or should I wqit till it gets to a certain age?

Cheers to both of you !!

Edited by Nik_B

the best time to get the pup would be when you have the four weeks off,you can bond and spend time with it( still leave it alone for a while during day to get him used to being alone).

there is lots of good advice to be had from the lads on here but use the time you have to get a good training book,arrange puppy class etc.

a lab is a good choice imho.good friendly,family dogs who produce some amazing work :thumbs:

a pup will be ok outside( i think "harry the cat" had a thread on kennel building etc with some good tips).

even if kept outdoors i would get it clean in the house( for after work,weekend treats etc) it makes life alot easier if you are visiting friends and take the dog with you etc.

let us know which dog you choose and how you get on.

atb and have fun

Cheers!

I'm still away but will be coming home in just under two weeks. I found what looks to my untrained eye some pups coming from good parents. This is the advert, is there something else I should be asking about?

"Drakeshead Working Bitch x Greenbriar Field Trial Champion. Kennel Club Registered. Fantastic Pedigrees, Hips and Elbows Scored Eye Test Clear"

Also what will I need to have at home for when we bring it home? As its freezing I don't mind leaving the pup in a basket in the kitchen at night and can worry about kennel later. Toys, bowls, food?

Also I read they get enough exercise just by running around in a garden...what age can you take them out for a little walk to the park?

that is terrific breeding in the advert and all health tests are done so a pup from there would be ideal, my only reservation would be this pup is bred to work. You want one which can switch off when your away and be a good sedate family pet/ A pup from this litter could potentially be like a ferrari. In my opinion I would go for something a little less well bred. "Get Ready for a big debate on this"

A pup will definitely be fine in a kennel in the day and even so at night if made correctly, my kitchen is colder then my kennel! I have always done 5 mins to every 4 weeks of age exercise, but you can defintely walk around the local park for a stroll with the pup, it will be good socialization, which cannot be done in your back garden.

Nik i get the impression your fancying a lab, what colour do you like, and dog or bitch??

Right more food for thought...Cheers mate

If we get a Lab it will be Black. No ideas on bitch or dog...I'm thinking dog as it wont come home pregnant one day? Also I am totally out numbered in my house with a wife and two daughters. What conciderations are there for deciding sex?

as my wife has actually had a dog at some point in her life I have given her the lofty title of Dog Expert :laugh:

We're going for it!

Wifes going to phone up to reserve a black dog pup so she can collect the day before I get home.

I can't bloody wait to get home now :boogie:

To get started what esentials will we need?

bowls, basket/box?, blanket, collar? lead?

I got 10 days till I get back.

I'm not going to get kennel till the weather gets better and I feel more confident that I know what I am doing.

Well done Nik, i think you will do well with the breeding you stated.

Labs have different strains, some more highly strung than others and some are real laid back pure retrievers, personality the more highly strung the better for me as i like a real fast hard hunter which can still be controlled but are very active and athletic, but most are easy going and as long as they get out twice a day will give you no trouble.

Good luck with your pup and let us know how you get on.

Dave.

Deposit paid, missus will pick him up the day before I get home.

Highly active is good for me, when I am off I just rattle round the house for weeks untill I go back. Everyone else is at work. This will be perfect for me and I look forward to many long walks and also us learning to hunt together. Missus will get a fair decently bit of excercise which isn't going to hurt either :tongue2:

Only bad thing is that we've already started arguing about names :doh:

I have some pics that the breeder sent us, I'll put them up if I figure out how to. We're not sure which one it will be for sure but they pretty much look the same anyway. They look amazing and last night I was like a 6 year old the night before Xmas. I desperately want to go home but I'm stuck here till the 17th .

My wife suggested casper and Kia or something...

I prefer good normal manly names. Bob, Bill, Dave....ok not Dave. Actually I am struggling but I want to name him! Childish I know but there you have it ;)