Advice with Paterdale & lakeland[size="4"][/size]

I have had a simlar problem with two bitches that I own (the only two bitches I may add as I'm a DOG man through and through)one is a bull terrier and the other is a pattedale x parsons russle that is far to hard for her own good.

When it first happend around five years ago after a couple of times we decided to have the bull terrier spayed thinking this would do the job but no such luck.

We carried on having the problem for the next three years until my wife got bitten trying to split them up,I must tell you now that the dog didn't mean to bite her it was striking at the other dog and she put her hand in between them :wallbash: . The trouble was this only happend about twice a year and as I have 10 dogs its not always possible to keep them apart especialy as they are usualy the best of friends most of the time.

We had got to the stage of re homing one of the dogs when it all kicked of again and this time my wife wasn't going to get bitten again so fight on they did.They were both payed very hard but both got over it in no time and since that day 18months ago we've had no trouble at all

I'm not saying that you should do this but letting them form a pecking order was the only thing that worked for my two.

ATB

I appreciate what your saying, I have only had these dogs now four three weeks since my brother in law passed, unfortunatley I don't know their history.

At his funeral his friend had mentioned to me that they had occasional problems still I wasn't sure if they were always fighting with each other or if it is a result of their sudden change in environment.

I'll keep trying with them ... they have great personalities and are really nice dogs.. hopefully i'll be able to renew a pecking order... if not they may have to be left to it... time will tell

you can just leave them to it,,they will fight till one of them is dead...

If you had read my post properly you would have seen that I advised against it but purley stated that this was the only way my particular dogs found harmony.

It was the Patterdale x russle that would inveriably start the trouble and when a bull terrier is attacked it will usually see its attacker as quarry during conflict.If this bull terrier had wanted to kill the terrier then trust me she would have done.

It depends on the severity of these outbursts as to the possible solution but how many times have you heard proper working dogmen state "they'll sort it out" when dogs get into scuffles.You must bear in mind that "shoot" is not talking of hardend working terriers but pets that have always lived together with the odd falling out

ATB

Fensaluki, I did take on board what you were saying, I do not intendto intentionally allow the dogs to fight. I appreciate that this just happened to work in this instance.

Others have commented on 'if youleave them alone they will fight'.. the odd thing is they have been great when alone together and the only times I am awar of them falling out is in my presence.

With regards to their past I suspect that they are hardened working dogs, my brother in law lived on dartmoor and worked his dogs regularly, unfortunatley I have'nt any experience with this type, I only ever accompanied him when out with his gun dog's.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 x 4 shed split into 2. sleeping boxes inside couple of inch of wood shavngs on the floor , plenty of bedding . 6 x 3 runs added they`ll be fine outside get em out it in the field mooching about as much as you can-they`ll soon settle ..

I have had a simlar problem with two bitches that I own (the only two bitches I may add as I'm a DOG man through and through)one is a bull terrier and the other is a pattedale x parsons russle that is far to hard for her own good.

When it first happend around five years ago after a couple of times we decided to have the bull terrier spayed thinking this would do the job but no such luck.

We carried on having the problem for the next three years until my wife got bitten trying to split them up,I must tell you now that the dog didn't mean to bite her it was striking at the other dog and she put her hand in between them :wallbash: . The trouble was this only happend about twice a year and as I have 10 dogs its not always possible to keep them apart especialy as they are usualy the best of friends most of the time.

We had got to the stage of re homing one of the dogs when it all kicked of again and this time my wife wasn't going to get bitten again so fight on they did.They were both payed very hard but both got over it in no time and since that day 18months ago we've had no trouble at all

I'm not saying that you should do this but letting them form a pecking order was the only thing that worked for my two.

ATB

I appreciate what your saying, I have only had these dogs now four three weeks since my brother in law passed, unfortunatley I don't know their history.

At his funeral his friend had mentioned to me that they had occasional problems still I wasn't sure if they were always fighting with each other or if it is a result of their sudden change in environment.

I'll keep trying with them ... they have great personalities and are really nice dogs.. hopefully i'll be able to renew a pecking order... if not they may have to be left to it... time will tell

you can just leave them to it,,they will fight till one of them is dead...

If you had read my post properly you would have seen that I advised against it but purley stated that this was the only way my particular dogs found harmony.

It was the Patterdale x russle that would inveriably start the trouble and when a bull terrier is attacked it will usually see its attacker as quarry during conflict.If this bull terrier had wanted to kill the terrier then trust me she would have done.

It depends on the severity of these outbursts as to the possible solution but how many times have you heard proper working dogmen state "they'll sort it out" when dogs get into scuffles.You must bear in mind that "shoot" is not talking of hardend working terriers but pets that have always lived together with the odd falling out

ATB

Fensaluki, I did take on board what you were saying, I do not intendto intentionally allow the dogs to fight. I appreciate that this just happened to work in this instance.

Others have commented on 'if youleave them alone they will fight'.. the odd thing is they have been great when alone together and the only times I am awar of them falling out is in my presence.

With regards to their past I suspect that they are hardened working dogs, my brother in law lived on dartmoor and worked his dogs regularly, unfortunatley I have'nt any experience with this type, I only ever accompanied him when out with his gun dog's.

Put up some pics mate :yes:

6 x 4 shed split into 2. sleeping boxes inside couple of inch of wood shavngs on the floor , plenty of bedding . 6 x 3 runs added they`ll be fine outside get em out it in the field mooching about as much as you can-they`ll soon settle ..

Thanks for advise stig... and everyone else!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I month later and the dogs are now fine.... I guess they just needed to settle and sort the pecking order out.

A month ago I saw a thread on here which showed a ford ranger with a gun cabinet/dog kennel fitted in the rear seat area. Does anyone know where I could get one of these?