Advice with Paterdale & lakeland[size="4"][/size]

had the same problume with my two patterdales, i changed there food to harringtons complete, its got no artificial colours or prosevetivs or flavers,,,touch wood they been ok for last 2 month...but you must walk them every day or they get frustrated and board......get my food from asda £6.99 for 5kg...all the best.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I took these dogs out with me for a day last wednesday, they worked well and hard all day, they have been fine with each other since.

Tonight the patterdale had a ball as soon as the lakeland saw it they were at each other.

I threw a nearby blanket over them and set about splitting them up, unfortunately the blacket just confused them next thing I had the lakeland clamped on my hand whilst i was trying to seperate the patterdale with my free hand.

Three or four kicks up the arse later and they're as good as gold again and Iv'e got four puncture holes some lossof blood and a swollen hand

.... Bugger theyr'e strong little dogs!

:icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek: and you put your hand in there :hmm::rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Sorry for laughing mate I know that had to hurt..............

but you put your hand in there :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yeah Yeah OK I Know NOW!

Like I had said before Iv'e never owned working dogs before... Looks like I'm gonna learn a lot more from them than they are from me!

had the same problume with my two patterdales, i changed there food to harringtons complete, its got no artificial colours or prosevetivs or flavers,,,touch wood they been ok for last 2 month...but you must walk them every day or they get frustrated and board......get my food from asda £6.99 for 5kg...all the best.

I hear you, but we tend to cook fresh food for the dog's most days... they tend to eat what we eat....

Guest ROUGH COATED

build two kenells for them one will kill the other in time if you dont the minute your backs turn they go at it

If I were yto build a kennel for this breed what size would they need?

Would they need a heater?

I THINK YOUR ACTING THE CCUNT NOW ARENT YOU.

I have had a simlar problem with two bitches that I own (the only two bitches I may add as I'm a DOG man through and through)one is a bull terrier and the other is a pattedale x parsons russle that is far to hard for her own good.

When it first happend around five years ago after a couple of times we decided to have the bull terrier spayed thinking this would do the job but no such luck.

We carried on having the problem for the next three years until my wife got bitten trying to split them up,I must tell you now that the dog didn't mean to bite her it was striking at the other dog and she put her hand in between them :wallbash: . The trouble was this only happend about twice a year and as I have 10 dogs its not always possible to keep them apart especialy as they are usualy the best of friends most of the time.

We had got to the stage of re homing one of the dogs when it all kicked of again and this time my wife wasn't going to get bitten again so fight on they did.They were both payed very hard but both got over it in no time and since that day 18months ago we've had no trouble at all

I'm not saying that you should do this but letting them form a pecking order was the only thing that worked for my two.

ATB

build two kenells for them one will kill the other in time if you dont the minute your backs turn they go at it

If I were yto build a kennel for this breed what size would they need?

Would they need a heater?

I THINK YOUR ACTING THE CCUNT NOW ARENT YOU.

Sorry rough coted .... I don't follow...

I have had a simlar problem with two bitches that I own (the only two bitches I may add as I'm a DOG man through and through)one is a bull terrier and the other is a pattedale x parsons russle that is far to hard for her own good.

When it first happend around five years ago after a couple of times we decided to have the bull terrier spayed thinking this would do the job but no such luck.

We carried on having the problem for the next three years until my wife got bitten trying to split them up,I must tell you now that the dog didn't mean to bite her it was striking at the other dog and she put her hand in between them :wallbash: . The trouble was this only happend about twice a year and as I have 10 dogs its not always possible to keep them apart especialy as they are usualy the best of friends most of the time.

We had got to the stage of re homing one of the dogs when it all kicked of again and this time my wife wasn't going to get bitten again so fight on they did.They were both payed very hard but both got over it in no time and since that day 18months ago we've had no trouble at all

I'm not saying that you should do this but letting them form a pecking order was the only thing that worked for my two.

ATB

I appreciate what your saying, I have only had these dogs now four three weeks since my brother in law passed, unfortunatley I don't know their history.

At his funeral his friend had mentioned to me that they had occasional problems still I wasn't sure if they were always fighting with each other or if it is a result of their sudden change in environment.

I'll keep trying with them ... they have great personalities and are really nice dogs.. hopefully i'll be able to renew a pecking order... if not they may have to be left to it... time will tell

I hear you, but we tend to cook fresh food for the dog's most days... they tend to eat what we eat....

Dont think you should be feeding them the same food we eat, that not going to help atall,,the only food my dogs have that we eat is rabbitt chicken and fresh veg,,,all the best with them.

To me you sound like a WIND UP MERCHANT ,1st this happend,then this, and then that, just sounds like a load of BBOLLOCKS to me

All the best in your story's

I have just joined this community to seak advice from my pears, If you are capable of reading my thread fully, you will learn that I have just unexpectantly taken these dogs on after the passing of my brother i law. They are great dog's, they were going as pets so I took them on so that I may keep them working, I am a shooting man but have no experience with terriers (however I am willing to learn). I posted the thread because I had problems with them fighting with each other, in addition I had hoped to gain some knowledge of how to work them in the hope that keeping them busy will distract them from fighting amongst themselves.

A couple of years ago I used to be a member of moochers, my membership has been cancelled due to inactivity, I joined this site (which is easier to join) to gain advice. I find it dissapointing when as a member of a minority community I seek advice, but instead people such as yourself rather than be helfull and polite choose to assume the worst in others and critise. At the same time I sensitive to the fact that people are cautious of who is on here, I can assure this I started this thread as a genuine request for help from someone who is out of their depth with two dog's that they know little about.

Respectfully Shoot!

ATB

I appreciate what your saying, I have only had these dogs now four three weeks since my brother in law passed, unfortunatley I don't know their history.

At his funeral his friend had mentioned to me that they had occasional problems still I wasn't sure if they were always fighting with each other or if it is a result of their sudden change in environment.

I'll keep trying with them ... they have great personalities and are really nice dogs.. hopefully i'll be able to renew a pecking order... if not they may have to be left to it... time will tell

you can just leave them to it,,they will fight till one of them is dead...

Dont think you should be feeding them the same food we eat, that not going to help atall,,the only food my dogs have that we eat is rabbitt chicken and fresh veg,,,all the best with them.

Jocky, I'm not talking chicken nuggets.... My good lady puts all the peeling's, fat, bones etc and cooks up a stew every mealtime... not much goes in the green bin!...

Surely this type of food is good for them ???

I would keep them seperate mate untill you have a kennel sorted out, they would probably be fine but you are better being safe than sorry.

They dont need massive expensive kennels, some places are very reasonable and they do not need a heater, but if you must get a heat lamp from an agricultural store.

I work 2 male terriers who used to be at each others throats constantly, but i got a kennel box built with separate compartments so they have their own space and there hasnt been any trouble since.

Im sure someone could point you in the direction of a cheap source of kennels, i acnt help you with that as mine were built by a friend.

I have tried to answer all your queries, hope this helps.

Most importantly is keep them separate unless you are present, i have seen the damage terriers can do to each other in a short space of time. Not pleasant.

All the best FTB

To me you sound like a WIND UP MERCHANT ,1st this happend,then this, and then that, just sounds like a load of BBOLLOCKS to me

All the best in your story's

I have just joined this community to seak advice from my pears, If you are capable of reading my thread fully, you will learn that I have just unexpectantly taken these dogs on after the passing of my brother i law. They are great dog's, they were going as pets so I took them on so that I may keep them working, I am a shooting man but have no experience with terriers (however I am willing to learn). I posted the thread because I had problems with them fighting with each other, in addition I had hoped to gain some knowledge of how to work them in the hope that keeping them busy will distract them from fighting amongst themselves.

A couple of years ago I used to be a member of moochers, my membership has been cancelled due to inactivity, I joined this site (which is easier to join) to gain advice. I find it dissapointing when as a member of a minority community I seek advice, but instead people such as yourself rather than be helfull and polite choose to assume the worst in others and critise. At the same time I sensitive to the fact that people are cautious of who is on here, I can assure this I started this thread as a genuine request for help from someone who is out of their depth with two dog's that they know little about.

Respectfully Shoot!

shoot this is my advise! i would eather kennel them seperately and only let them together when your out! or let them go to working homes where they are kept buy someone who noes about working type terriers. you will never trust them together or you will have a dead dog il prommiss you! in my experience working terriers need lots of work to keep them calm, even then your never 100% sure they wont turn on each other (the nature of the beast) hope this advice helps you.

ATB

you can just leave them to it,,they will fight till one of them is dead...

If you had read my post properly you would have seen that I advised against it but purley stated that this was the only way my particular dogs found harmony.

It was the Patterdale x russle that would inveriably start the trouble and when a bull terrier is attacked it will usually see its attacker as quarry during conflict.If this bull terrier had wanted to kill the terrier then trust me she would have done.

It depends on the severity of these outbursts as to the possible solution but how many times have you heard proper working dogmen state "they'll sort it out" when dogs get into scuffles.You must bear in mind that "shoot" is not talking of hardend working terriers but pets that have always lived together with the odd falling out and not scearmonger this chap into getting rid of hid ogs or putting pet dogs that have allways lived in into kennels just because they don't always see eye to eye.I may have got this story wrong somwere and if so so please except my appoligys but I dont think things are as bad as are being portrayed thats all

ATB

Edited by fensaluki