Armed Trespass

Just got back from an eventful evening out shooting. We went to one of my farms tonight for a quick scout for bunnys. As we went to leave, the access road was blocked by a Jeep occupied by an irate older couple whose house is adjacent to the road. Obnoxious is possibly the best word to describe their attitude, along with condescending. It transpires that the old goats have a dispute with the farmer over no less than 4 feet of property and have an injunction against people having access after 6pm to the field. After wasting my breath trying to explain that it was nothing to do with me the chap promptly calls the police claiming armed trespass. While on the phone he asked us to show him our guns. We politely told him that we would not remove the rifles from the car. Leaving their Jeep blocking the road they went back into their house. After twenty five minutes passed I had a call from an unknown number. The caller identified himself as being from the local police station and was very pleasant and polite. He asked for my side of the story and if I had firearms in the car to which I replied yes. I pointed out that we had already been waiting for quite a while and asked how long it would be until they arrived. He dispatched a unit to us then.

An hour had passed when they finally arrived. After checking our tickets and having a word with the owner of the house we were allowed on our way, after the one policeman had swapped shooting banter with us for a while. Turns out he shoots too.

All I can say is I was rather pleased with the professionalism and politeness of both the officers that attended, nice one Staffordshire Police :clapper:

good to hear the police not over reacting and sending an armed response unit :icon_eek:

i guess you were lucky to have a field sportsman come out too, just goes to show that our friend and helpers do use some common :thumbs:

was ther any feedback from the police about further access to the land after 6pm?

merry xmas and a happy new year by the way.

atb

Nice the way the police handled that ive permission where i phone them for a job number and twice somebody phoned them and the armed responce turned out nice to see a bit of common sense for once

There is a long running dispute over the access road between the farmer and the muppet that blocked the road. I was told that the dispute had been to court and had been settled. I won't listen to that particular friend again. About a year ago the same guy called the police and the armed response unit did turn up but again they were very polite and didn't even ask to see our tickets :boogie:

There is separate access to the land albeit bloody inconvenient, so we will be using that in future :wallbash:

waidmann Merry Christmas back :drink:

Just got back from an eventful evening out shooting. We went to one of my farms tonight for a quick scout for bunnys. As we went to leave, the access road was blocked by a Jeep occupied by an irate older couple whose house is adjacent to the road. Obnoxious is possibly the best word to describe their attitude, along with condescending. It transpires that the old goats have a dispute with the farmer over no less than 4 feet of property and have an injunction against people having access after 6pm to the field. After wasting my breath trying to explain that it was nothing to do with me the chap promptly calls the police claiming armed trespass. While on the phone he asked us to show him our guns. We politely told him that we would not remove the rifles from the car. Leaving their Jeep blocking the road they went back into their house. After twenty five minutes passed I had a call from an unknown number. The caller identified himself as being from the local police station and was very pleasant and polite. He asked for my side of the story and if I had firearms in the car to which I replied yes. I pointed out that we had already been waiting for quite a while and asked how long it would be until they arrived. He dispatched a unit to us then.

An hour had passed when they finally arrived. After checking our tickets and having a word with the owner of the house we were allowed on our way, after the one policeman had swapped shooting banter with us for a while. Turns out he shoots too.

All I can say is I was rather pleased with the professionalism and politeness of both the officers that attended, nice one Staffordshire Police :clapper:

The old boy sounds like a bitof a fool, to be quite honest. If he has siiused with people entering the land then why is he blocking their egress from it? Surely, if you don't want people there then you would facilitate their exit, not prevent them from leaving. Besides, how can he claim you e trespassing if he won't let you leave? That being the case, you are probably an invited visitor in the eyes of the law, not a trespasser.

J.