Pirate/private packs

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of my pack at a good strong mark. Mainly Bassets and Basset crosses. Regards Warren

post-11010-126151199071_thumb.jpg

nice little hounds there warren my mates hunt a pirate pack also mixed up bunch

of cross breds hounds with terrier and springer in them there very good on fox

Hi NORTHSIDER, I'm sure I have met you! Mr P Dukes once introduced us to each other, am I correct? As Yet my Basstes arnt the best on fox, funny little dogs they are, they nearly have to have permmission to hunt something new and to be honnest I am not coming accross that many red ones where I can let them go and follow on. After adding that they did well on a Pheasant killer yesterday which should have given them a little more zest for the job. Regards Warren

no warren never met you i think you could be thinking of man from cork area all the best with the bassets what are they like in tight cover

Some of my pack at a good strong mark. Mainly Bassets and Basset crosses. Regards Warren

post-11010-126151199071_thumb.jpg

[

Look tidy little hounds, good strong mark that musy have got the heart racing. had a couple of good marks with my wire pointer over xmas, no working terrier at present though

What are the bassests crossed with, or are they black tan ?

nice to hear of a wirehair out hunting mate.

my wirehair usually puts a fox or two out of cover when i take him out around the local wastelands.infact i took my Dad out this morning just to show him a fox.scent is crap with the conditions were having but after a few minutes the pointer had one running ahead of us and it wasnt long before i found him and my wirehair cross lurcher marking a big earth which seemed to get my retired terrier a bit excitable but unfortunately his working days are over.

i can call the wirehair away easily but the lurcher has to be lead away.

its hard to catch a fox on there with the cover and banksides but ive always enjoyed a hunt on a fox even if its just a quick run around.obviously hounds are the way to go for serious hunting but for what i need the wirehair is shaping up nicely.just a dog that will hunt through cover and push out stuff and mark to ground.all mine does is very basic bushing and nothing of any real quality but good fun all the same...........and he cant get to ground which is a massive advantage over when i used terriers.

my wirehair usually puts a fox or two out of cover when i take him out around the local wastelands.infact i took my Dad out this morning just to show him a fox.scent is crap with the conditions were having but after a few minutes the pointer had one running ahead of us and it wasnt long before i found him and my wirehair cross lurcher marking a big earth which seemed to get my retired terrier a bit excitable but unfortunately his working days are over.

its hard to catch a fox on there with the cover and banksides but ive always enjoyed a hunt on a fox even if its just a quick run around.obviously hounds are the way to go for serious hunting but for what i need the wirehair is shaping up nicely.just a dog that will hunt through cover and push out stuff and mark to ground.all mine does is very basic bushing and nothing of any real quality but good fun all the same...........and he cant get to ground which is a massive advantage over when i used terriers.

[

My pointer bitch does her best to get to ground !!!!! I have never killed fox with her, but she is aggresive with carcass, though after years with terriers I know this can be a false dawn. Not many fox round here to ground, but you can still find odd ones in cover, my pointer is keen hunting them and deer, but very headstrong on scent, like the sound of the terrier cocker crosses they seem popular.

Good luck with your wire hair

tell us more mate.what make price :thumbs: mine are head strong.

Mine too are very headstrong, iv had a couple of collars these have been the best they are 100% waterproof and do the job also they have dual channels so both dogs can be controlled with one transmitter .http://www.mightypets.com/product.asp?3=1418 . The previous one i had the dog went in the river and ruined it :wallbash: .

How do you think your Wire would do with a fox?? I have a mustwork wire and i think he has the heart to get stuck in. Cheers Mart

not being funny lads but im here to talk hounds not gun dogs so please take it where it belongs,feel like im causing trouble now but i aint and soz if i offended any 1.now back to the topic of calling hounds back tell you how we done it was lucky to know a guy,he had a old hound there he offerd it to us bloody grabbed him with both hands lol.beagle he is was used on loads of shoots so every time he hears a shotgun go off he comes back thats how we get ours back,he was the lead dog and the rest followed him still got him now.gave the rest to a mate but now i want more reading this lol all the best steve ps i apologise again to you wirehair fellas.hope you all have a happy new year.

How do you think your Wire would do with a fox?? I have a mustwork wire and i think he has the heart to get stuck in. Cheers Mart