1st Doe of the season

I nearly didn't take the full bore... I went down to Dorset on Friday as a guest of my Godfather who has a half-gun on a small Pheasant shoot. It was only as an afterthought that i put my deer gear in the car as i'd be passing my small patch of permission on the way home. It was 3:45pm and the light didn't have long to go by the time i got to the turn off and the weather was shite... not raining but still shite but I decided to have a crack thinking that i could always look for the 'Phantom Fox's' the farmer is always on about... hey Martin :laugh:

I got to the highest point of ground where the wind was blowing a howler and the field was churned and water logged - this is where i see 90% of the deer on this ground but dedided not to wait for them as it was really exposed and cold and to go to the lower area on the off chance of finding some sheltering. I got to the gate of a large field and decided to have a look in a small neighbouing pony paddock which looked quite cosey compared to the churned pasture on the other side on the hedge. To my suprise there were three Roe couched down at the bottom of the field looking over there shoulder at me - a mature Doe, a young buck and mature buck which has cast one antler who had the makings of a nice six by the looks of him.

Now whether this ground is actually part of my permission is a bit of a grey area... (technicality) :thumbs: I wanted to bump them through the hedge onto somewhere where were no question marks and take things from there so I got through the gate crept up the side of the hedge - they were very alert but seemed to have no intention of moving :wallbash: I got to within 80 yards and got down on the bipod and immediatly got pissed wet through as the ground was soaking (i'd left my sticks by the gate). I was going to neck her but she was bobbing and weaving a bit trying to catch scent or something in the blustery wind. After five minutes i was fecking freezing so lifted my boot and splashed it down in the mud to try and get a rise. They all hopped up with the Doe presenting a shot immediatly and I saw the bullet strike behind the shoulder. She flicked her feet and hopped through the hegde followed by the other two so it all worked out perfectly :thumbs: I haven't weighed her yet but she's in good shape and was well bled out ten yards the other side of the hedge. Not a bad half hour.

post-4425-126021608758_thumb.jpg

Apologies for the Pic quality - taken on my 3 year old mobile

Edited by Local

With a job in the city you can get yourself a decent camera ,tight git .lol.

Make a stalker of you yet :boogie:

:laugh::laugh: You know how it is mate... champagne and cocaine lifestyle doesn’t leave a lot at the end of the month – maybe Santa will get me one for Christmas :hmm: ... I’ve been a good boy this year :yes::angel:

Speak to you soon bud

:victory:

With a job in the city you can get yourself a decent camera ,tight git .lol.

Make a stalker of you yet :boogie:

:laugh::laugh: You know how it is mate... champagne and cocaine lifestyle doesn’t leave a lot at the end of the month – maybe Santa will get me one for Christmas :hmm: ... I’ve been a good boy this year :yes::angel:

Speak to you soon bud

:victory:

You do coke?or just an expression :L

Cheers fellas - The only Charlie i've ever blown are Fox's CK :thumbs: better things to spend my money on (like a camera :laugh:) She weighed in at 37lb clean - always amazed how they can skip off as if uninjured with a big hole in them to then pile up or just lay down and expire.

Edited by Local