Virus's on my computer

Bought a new laptop a few months back

Norton had just run out on it

Downloaded Spybot

Yesterday, bish, bash, bosh, computer went INSANE

Desktop was wiped and a random spyware programme kept coming up telling me i had 45 virus's PLUS 4 trojans and it would only get rid of them if i paid a certain amount.

I couldn't get onto spybot to do a scan, the only thing i could do was go on the internet (it would not let me open up ANYTHING other than the internet, no photos, no music)

TODAY

I have managed to download another scan programme, after i managed that it let me open up spybot, i did a scan and it found 4 trojans, 3 of which it cleared, 1 it couldn't do anything with.

I have since downloaded AVG aswell and ran another scan, this claims to have wiped ALL of the virus's and is now showing nothing on the scan

Spybot is also saying there is no virus's now.

Could i really have cleared them that easily or am i being fooled?

(I need to do some internet banking but i don't know if i dare!!)

AVG's gone right downhill these days. :no: I'd presume the machine was still infected and go from there...

Download THIS and THIS and then install them. Open them one at a time and run their update feature until you get a "no updates available" message. Then:

• Restart the computer, pressing F8 repeatedly as it boots until you get the Windows startup options page
  • Select "Start in safe mode, With networking"
  • Run a Full Scan (Deep Scan?) in SuperAntiSpyware. Reboot BACK into safe mode with networking, and run MalwareBytes, then reboot
  • You should now have control of your PC back once you're back in "normal" Windows

For ongoing protection, if you don't want to pay I suggest Avira Free Edition. If you don't mind paying a few quid, you'll not get much better than Kaspersky 2010.

Cheers. :victory:

You can also do a free Online scan with Kaspersky on their website.

Yep, most of the big AV companies offer this facility. :) I didn't mention it because dedicated malware scanners like MalwareBytes and/or SuperAntiSpyware are MUCH more effective at detecting and removing rogues and rootkits than standard AV suites. Plus, I didn't want the OP to confuse the two and think she could use them instead of real-time protection. :)

AVG's gone right downhill these days. no.gif I'd presume the machine was still infected and go from there...

Download THIS and THIS and then install them. Open them one at a time and run their update feature until you get a "no updates available" message. Then:

• Restart the computer, pressing F8 repeatedly as it boots until you get the Windows startup options page
  • Select "Start in safe mode, With networking"
  • Run a Full Scan (Deep Scan?) in SuperAntiSpyware. Reboot BACK into safe mode with networking, and run MalwareBytes, then reboot
  • You should now have control of your PC back once you're back in "normal" Windows

For ongoing protection, if you don't want to pay I suggest Avira Free Edition. If you don't mind paying a few quid, you'll not get much better than Kaspersky 2010.

Cheers. victory.gif

OK i have downloaded those 2, now gonna restart the computer.....wish me luck, i'm useless at doing this sort of thing, may see you all in a bit tongue2.gif

hehe Best of luck! If you get stuck just give us a shout. thumbs.gif

3 hrs later, i'm done!!!!!

All i have to do now is download the free anti-virus you suggeted and i'm completly done, what a chore lol!!

Do you think it should be completly safe now?

They didn't pick up anything major just cookies....

Thanks

notworthy.gif

Sounds like you're in the clear to me! Just run a scan of Avira (the free antivirus) after updating it to be safe. It's fast so you won't have to wait long, plus you can just run it in "normal" windows while you do other things (i.e. you don't need to boot into safe mode this time) now you're pretty certain you're safe. :) Avira free pops up a single advert for their Professional product once a day whilst updating, but you can disable that if you like (Google will tell you how, it's easy).

I recommend you set Heuristics to "high" and enable Secure Start (rather than Normal Start) when installing. Apart from that you're good to go. Glad you got it sorted.

Sounds like you're in the clear to me! Just run a scan of Avira (the free antivirus) after updating it to be safe. It's fast so you won't have to wait long, plus you can just run it in "normal" windows while you do other things (i.e. you don't need to boot into safe mode this time) now you're pretty certain you're safe. smile.gif Avira free pops up a single advert for their Professional product once a day whilst updating, but you can disable that if you like (Google will tell you how, it's easy).

I recommend you set Heuristics to "high" and enable Secure Start (rather than Normal Start) when installing. Apart from that you're good to go. Glad you got it sorted.

All done toast.gif

Did the scan and yes it is VERY quick (thank god)

All clear, i also set it to 'high' but didn't set it to secure start, might change that if i have any problems

Thanks alot, i REALLY appreciate your help cheers.gif

thumbs.gif

we had the same virus last week, must be doing the rounds, turned the computer off as a mate who fixes them for us, couldent get round for a few days, we managed with a very slow laptop, he came round last night to fix it, turned the computer on, and all was fine :hmm: no pops up, no pages telling us, this,that and the other, well baffled, anyway he put a few anti virus thingys on it, so fingers crossed

hi it Happend to me and i download malwarebytes .com download anti malware then run short scan it should work

ps let me know how you get on

http://www.malwarere...t.com/index.php

you better buy a new 10gb hard drive, of with all this uploading your doing lol

best of luck

sounder

I have been doing some serious downloading icon_eek.gif

I think it is all sorted now though thumbs.gif

• 2 months later...

had the same kind of viris on mine didnt know how to fix it so i thort it was f censored.gif ed left it a while an 1 day i just thorght id give it anuva go at fixing it but it was already fixed an the viris had gone smile.gif

Download the spyware suggested, it worked for me, dont just trust that it has gone, it may act ok but be taking bank details etc, try and clear it thumbs.gif