what do you think of poodle crosses

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No a collie grey and a beddy, i would rather stick with the collie types, for me the original and best.

thumbs.gif stick with them and keep away from poodle xs

So give us a bit of an insight into your experiences with them that brings you to that conclusion.

If the poodle is a standard one from working stock then i don't see what the big deal is.

Nobody would bat an eye lid if we were talking about a Labrador cross, a standard poodle in it's working form is just another retreiver and is possibly the most athletic one.

Not much thought going into the posts on this thread.

Beat me to it.

post-28219-125873639644_thumb.jpgpost-28219-125873643382_thumb.jpgpost-28219-125873655131_thumb.jpgpost-28219-125873665715_thumb.jpgsorry about the pics they are off the phone and he stands at 25 tts

i wasnt taking the pee mate ive seen a bloke yrs ago working a giant standard poodle on a shoot and in water and it showed most of the spaniels up but thats what they were bred for.just remember that poodles are hypo so you might end up pulling your hair out if it wont settle down alb stick with it

ok every one goes mad when this is brought up but the poodle was used as a gun dog years (french water poodle). There easy to train and always do what there told.They have a great coat and can work in the cold or the wet so l dont know what ever ones propley is????. but its ok to put a wheaten or a bull over a greyhound.A poodle would out run any full breed wheaten or bull and be far smarter.When people say poodle every one aways thiks off this dogs at cruffs and not the working strand.My mate goes shooting and got a ( freach water poodle ) out off a dog pound a few yeas back for £50 never seen a dog take to ducks like it he sold it 4 years later after breeding him for £750. Dont judge a book by its cover :feck::feck:

ok every one goes mad when this is brought up but the poodle was used as a gun dog years (french water poodle). There easy to train and always do what there told.They have a great coat and can work in the cold or the wet so l dont know what ever ones propley is????. but its ok to put a wheaten or a bull over a greyhound.A poodle would out run any full breed wheaten or bull and be far smarter.When people say poodle every one aways thiks off this dogs at cruffs and not the working strand.My mate goes shooting and got a ( freach water poodle ) out off a dog pound a few yeas back for £50 never seen a dog take to ducks like it he sold it 4 years later after breeding him for £750. Dont judge a book by its cover :feck::feck:

Spot on mate....at least someone knows a bit about dogs.

They were also used to flush game in falconry, as tracking dogs, sniffer dogs by some police forces and guide dogs.

They were used heavily in the creation of the irish water spaniel too.

Poodles are probably the most versatile of the sporting dogs, able to take on the roles of pointer, retriever or tracker with equal success.

Fantastically intelligent and easy to train.

i bought a 7/8 greyhound/collie x standard poodle pup about a month ago, and he's a little cracker. My parents had poodles when i was a lad, so when my mates had lurchers and i was'nt allowed one, i had to take the poodle with me. he'd retrieve anything i shot with the air rifle, and used to flush out game for the lurchers, had a brilliant nose and athletic enough to clear a 5 bar gate easily.

so after leaving the army and getting my own pad i've had collie crosses, but i've always said if i had the opportunity to get a poodle cross i'd jump at it, now maybe it's sentimental, but after a lot of experience with poodles i seriously feel there under rated. i just hope after all this time i'm proved right :hmm:

post-41719-125875574997_thumb.jpg

post-41719-12590109839_thumb.jpg

post-41719-125901099967_thumb.jpg

Edited by andyrose