pointer labrador crosses

Does anyone have any pics of adult 1st cross GWP X LAB'S?, and are the offspring more likley to resemble the bitch or dog ? or a standard even cross/mix of both, iv been to see some pups from working parents on both sides(both keeper worked and bred)and at the moment they are lab like ! i realy like the thought of the lab calming down the gwp but like the look of the gwp ,im thinking of using it mainly on deer but if i could get something a bit of an alrounder it would be great !

ALL THE BEST

The mating I did was a Lab dog to a Spin bitch. Pups all resembled Spins!

Edited by EskdaleHawks

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone have any pics of adult 1st cross GWP X LAB'S?, and are the offspring more likley to resemble the bitch or dog ? or a standard even cross/mix of both, iv been to see some pups from working parents on both sides(both keeper worked and bred)and at the moment they are lab like ! i realy like the thought of the lab calming down the gwp but like the look of the gwp ,im thinking of using it mainly on deer but if i could get something a bit of an alrounder it would be great !

ALL THE BEST

why not just get a well bred gwp/dd, why bother with a cross bred which could for the most part be a lottery, contary to popular belief a gwp does not need calming down, ya just need to find good deer lines, stay clear of the trials bred shit as they have been bred to run.

Which is opposite to how i like my labs, i like Trial bred Labs as i find them more racy and Athletic and much harder hunting.

As for the Cross, the two i have seen all take on more of the wirehair (it must be a strong gene), they look like Labs while pups until the wirehair comes in.

Dave.

• 3 weeks later...

I was reading an article about the German Short haired Pointer and it described them as the best all round hunting dog with incredible stamina and ability. I would like to understand the difference between the GSP and GWP.

I can't help but think that a cross bred dog must surely produce a 'better' animal, healthier at least. From what I've read it surely refreshes the genes and eliminates hereditary defects. I might be wrong but it seems to make sense to me.

I had two Springerdors from working parents and they were amazing animals. For this reason the other cross breeds interest me also i.e. the GSP or GWP x Lab or ESS.

• 7 months later...

ALL THE BEST

why not just get a well bred gwp/dd, why bother with a cross bred which could for the most part be a lottery, contary to popular belief a gwp does not need calming down, ya just need to find good deer lines, stay clear of the trials bred shit as they have been bred to run.

Of the GWP's ive seen, they like a lot of space to work, and rightly so, by using the wind they quarter wide, shame its a bit too wide for the beating lines here in the UK, and so many keepers have found that the lab crosses are far better dogs in the beating line than most pures, in fact every pure ive seen beating has been too rangy.

This season ive seen loads of gwp/labs, more than ever, they are fast becoming the favourite keepers dog on the moors and surely this is for good reason? Lol you only need to see them go to understand the thinking behind the cross.

I personally prefer the half cross, though one keeper has a cracking 5/8 pointer 3/8 lab.

I like them that much im getting one :boogie: cant bloody wait :toast:

I would rather a good well bred gsp or gwp. Anything like sanjon or birkenwald is good. There is nothing wrong with purebred dogs. The hpr`s as a rule dont start training till 9 months usually anyway. I understand spaniels and labs are introduced to the field younger. Each to there own but thats my opinion.

I would rather a good well bred gsp or gwp. Anything like sanjon or birkenwald is good. There is nothing wrong with purebred dogs. The hpr`s as a rule dont start training till 9 months usually anyway. I understand spaniels and labs are introduced to the field younger. Each to there own but thats my opinion.

I guess it depends on what you want from your dog... your quite right though, the gwp and gsp do a great job, the lab crosses arent bred to compete with the pures, but to be a different working dog all together... for the grouse keeper/beater, the cross bred is the better dog for that line of work. ;)

ALL THE BEST

Of the GWP's ive seen, they like a lot of space to work, and rightly so, by using the wind they quarter wide, shame its a bit too wide for the beating lines here in the UK, and so many keepers have found that the lab crosses are far better dogs in the beating line than most pures, in fact every pure ive seen beating has been too rangy.

This season ive seen loads of gwp/labs, more than ever, they are fast becoming the favourite keepers dog on the moors and surely this is for good reason? Lol you only need to see them go to understand the thinking behind the cross.

I personally prefer the half cross, though one keeper has a cracking 5/8 pointer 3/8 lab.

I like them that much im getting one :boogie: cant bloody wait :toast:

When are you picking it up mate.

I look forward to seeing some good pics and intresting threads in the future.

Good luck with it.

ATB

Dave.

my parents have a gsp x border collie, he came via a gsp bitch handed in to a rescue with her newborn litter, he looks like a heavily built mainly black english pointer. clever dog, as a pup he couldnt seem to make his mind up wether to herd something or point at it, sometimes doing both, wouldve made a decent dog for rough shooting but is unfortunately epileptic, very nice balanced temperament + doesnt mind water either.