heatlamp for kennel during winter

Guest Rod&dog

Im think im going to install a heatlamp into my kennek for the colder weather that will soon be apon us.,,Does anyoe else dothis to ensure that th kennel stays nice and warm.

i use a heat lamp and and an oil filled radiator well i did last winter both were burning 24/7 till i got my elecy bill in of £600 quid in January :doh::cry::cry::cry: had just had 2 weeks off work and the expense of xmas :cry: took a bit of time for my wallet to heal up :laugh: this year i think it will be a delongy heater i will be putting in the kennel as soon as it gets to the correct temp it shuts its self down.

Plenty of grub (warming stuff) and a draughft free kennel is all they should need mate, theyre working dogs after all.

Im all for keeping them comfotable, but i dont think artificial heat helps their constitution,

agree with the above, no need for artificial heat over here. i've double lined my kennels & put celotex in the cavity, does the job if your worried bout the cold...

Yokel

:laugh:

Plenty of grub (warming stuff) and a draughft free kennel is all they should need mate, theyre working dogs after all.

Im all for keeping them comfotable, but i dont think artificial heat helps their constitution,

your probably right my kennels are draught free the dogs are off the ground on a sleep bench with some nice warm blankets to lay on and a nice warm dinner in their stomach and yet we still try and do more for them. talking to the old timers the dogs were kept in the old brick out house with a bale of straw burst open in one corner for the dog to bed down on fed on the scraps that the family didnt eat. the frost was an inch thick on the walls in the inside the dogs were worked hard to keep the family fed.never done the dogs no harm and they recon their were more good working dogs back then than their is now :laugh: maybe we are getting too soft.

spot on , i always give warm [chicken or beef stock =gravy]+food in winter, thats nice and warm in the belly.And the dog i keep 1x colliexgrey,as a great coat on him, and he dont mind cold weather.

i'm useing heat lamps on my two young dogs while they still growing i thought it be a good idea.also got straw in there and the dogs are about 2 ft off the ground in wooden kennels the only trouble the young dogs keep kicking the straw out then ends up blowing round everywhere.

i heat my kennels in the winter all depends what sort of dogs

youve got long dogs havent got as thick of coats as say a collie

greyhound and personaly i woudent want to lie in a cold shed

plus they youse up energy to try and keep warm witch reflects in the field :thumbs:

I agree, good feed and a draught free kennel.

However I do use a greenhouse Tube heater like this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3FT-TUBULAR-HEATER-FROST-WATCH-GREENHOUSE-SHED-LOFT_W0QQitemZ190348018699QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Home_Garden_Hearing_Cooling_Air?hash=item2c51a0440b

just plug it into a thermostat from B&Q and when it's really cold I know the dogs are OK.

Very cheap to run as well.

i heat my kennels in the winter all depends what sort of dogs

youve got long dogs havent got as thick of coats as say a collie

greyhound and personaly i woudent want to lie in a cold shed

plus they youse up energy to try and keep warm witch reflects in the field :thumbs:

i agree mate i wouldnt want to get in a cold shed when i'd been out graftin and i wouldnt expect my dog to do it i run saluki x when its cold i stick heat lamp on nowt soft about it just common sense i dont have it like the bahamas just on low especially as he is kenneled on his own

yep i like the heat lamp, i tried one of those tube heaters , there useless on a kennel the size of mine they dont heat up the space, they may be ok on a 3 foot by 3 foot box.

but in my kennel the heat is just above them , and makes for a comfortable environment

coursing71207004.jpg

only use heat lamps for welping pups and injured or if they are hard run ,mines are in 4 foot by 4 boxes in side another roofed run ,with plenty towling from a factory i get it from they do fine, ill be putting lids back on them as its getting cold but they all seem fine and healthy and are all short coated ,they sleep in pairs and 4 month pup on his own he gets no heat lamp but dry bedding and draught free kennels , hees a tough dog and is as fat as a pup should be with plenty bone , plenty good bedding and clean it regulary , does them if it gets real cold 5 belo they get plenty bedding and i mean plenty ,all you see is there heads outh there box , good grub and plenty bedding is what a good dog desrves , heating well if they are fit and fine no need for it ,

yep i like the heat lamp, i tried one of those tube heaters , there useless on a kennel the size of mine they dont heat up the space, they may be ok on a 3 foot by 3 foot box.

but in my kennel the heat is just above them , and makes for a comfortable environment

Yes I put mine in the box, the box is in a 8 by 7 shed as the box is insulated it soon warms up and then cuts off with thermostat, I tried the heat lamp but I didn't like my electricity bill