Just bought a new rifle and scope combo and out tonight....... :(

As i'm new to the game i've just bought a magtec 7022 .22lr with a 4-9x40 Nikko Sterling

Went out this afternoon to zero the scope an i thought it was pretty good.... SO............... I went out tonight for a quick spin with the lamp.... Lots about but...

I COULDN'T HIT A COWS ARSE WITH A SHOVEL! :wallbash:

I don't know if it's me or the zero ??????? Called it a early night as i was getting annoyed with myself. :censored:

I think i'll spend a little more time tomorrow shooting at a target.....

Sorry guys i'm just having a vent off! :no:

Edited by saxosportsaxo

welcome to shooting on the lamp,its totally different from popping paper,them bloody rabbits keep moving,the problem is you have to get used to

the lamp,and get used to distance judging,as its a lot dif on the lamp.you will probs be shooting high,as you usually get a lot closer than you think on the lamp,especially with a red filter,and will depend on what your zeroed at,just plenty of practice req,so you will just have to stock up and go for it,oki doki,ian

Let me get this right, youve bought a new gun, fired at a fixed target for zero and then went out after live quarry on the lamp :whistling:

You need to get used to the calibre first, firing at targets at different ranges so you get to know bullet drop etc. Then you need to be able to guess the range of your quarry accurately to have a chance of hitting them. Get used to the trigger, the way the rifle handles.

Also if using the .22 after using the likes of airguns etc,make sure you know where your backstops are and whats beyond your quarry, especially in the lamp.

Practice more first, and youl soon be knocking them rabbits over. Patience is a virtue :thumbs:

Try putting some targets up and shooting them in the lamp, at least youlknow how far out you are and where you are going wrong.

As i'm new to the game i've just bought a magtec 7022 .22lr with a 4-9x40 Nikko Sterling

Went out this afternoon to zero the scope an i thought it was pretty good.... SO............... I went out tonight for a quick spin with the lamp.... Lots about but...

I don't know if it's me or the zero ??????? Called it a early night as i was getting annoyed with myself. :censored:

I COULDN'T HIT A COWS ARSE WITH A SHOVEL! :wallbash: LMAO :D (that tickled me, cheers)

Honestly though, as stated practice makes perfect as I had the same problem myself when I first went out with the lamp. Distances and guestimates are all to cock in the dark until you get used to it all. :hmm: I have had more than one round part a rabbits ears :doh:

Also I agree that you have to get to grips with ya combo, put a few hundred through it at various ranges. I mounted a lazer to my scope which falls in the centre of the cross hairs at 60 mtrs which gives me a good reading on distance depending upon whether the dot falls high or low in the scope. :thumbs:

i've started doing alot of lamping lately and at first i was shooting over the top of eveything thing, i then started to use the next mil-dot up on my scope......now all the rabbits are scared to come out and play! :clapper::clapper:

things seem alot further in the dark to me for some reason, especially when shooting from a 4x4 with the head lights on.

Get use to your rifle, does it feel comftable?

What distance did you set your rifle at prior to shooting?

What groupings where you getting before you went out?

Could you of knocked your scope en route to your land?

As someone has said, set up loads of targets and fire away, always aim at the same spot then that way you can adjust your turrets left,right,up ,down to hit that center spot.

Put a fair few rounds through the rifle, and try different makes as well to find which bullet the rifle likes.

Atb.

Thanks for everyones tips..... I've just got back from a target practice... i'm getting a grouping of 3 inches @ 70 yards..... :hmm:

So a little more practice and maybe a change of scope?

An if i can't hit a cows arse....................................... I'LL MAKE THE BLOODY SHOVEL BIGGER! :boxing:

I'm not familiar with that model rifle, is it semi automatic or bolt action? 3" @ 70 yards, something is wrong there :yes:

Try as many different brands of ammo you can.

Check your mounts and that every thing that's supposed to be tight is tight.

Check the crown.

Try a mates scope on your rifle if you can.

Edited by JohnGalway

Try putting out some markers on you permission, so you know how far you are away from the rabbits, or jus measure out distances from landmarks around the fields you shoot, this will help you judging how far the rabbits are from you.

Dont worry to much, it may be that when you get a live target in you sights that you get over exited and start to shake a little,try dry shooting 1st get the rabbits in your sights so you get used to the balance of the gun and looking at quarry with a lamp, remember distance is a lot harder to figure out in the dark, when you are confident with it all get shooting, a couple of hours should do the trick !!!

GOOD LUCK shoot safe

The trigger on New magtech 7022 is like two sheets of 80 grit sandpaper grinding on each other and the pull lasts a fortnight!

You were probably lucky to even hit the paper!

What do they cost now...about £130 brand new last time I looked, seems a good deal on the face of it especially as they are screw cut as well, but I've never known anyone to be happy with one. Last time I looked there was NO trigger adjustment either, is that still the case...just wear it down and hopefully in about 20,000 rounds it will have improved from absolutely dire to just terrible.

Anyway, ATB, I actually looked very seriously at one of these myself a couple of years ago, they even look the part, but the head prevailed! :thumbs:

Give me a heads up on what steered you towards this gun!

Cheers

Get yourself a range finder all day i did' set my CZ .17 up for 100 yards i use remington ammo and i aim for the eyes on a red filter i kill more than i miss. Just to add i changed my ammo because my supplier did not have remingtons and my rifle lost its accuracy find a bullet that suits the gun good luck.