Shotgun certificate

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got this info from BASC guidence notes..

Question 14

For the purpose of the firearms act there is no such thing as a spent conviction. you must include ALL convictions (including ALL motoring offences, wether still recorded on your license or otherwise) wether in britain or abroad. CAUTIONS DO NOT NEED TO BE MENTIONED, BUT CONDITIONAL OR ABSOLUTE DISCHARGES DO) if you have any convictions at any time, including parking or speeding tick the "YES" box....

phone them up and ask to talk to an officer and explain it to them. they dont bite, at least you will know the answer to your question.

I think I will have to do that because I have just remembered I genuinely forgot to mention the fixed penalty i recently recieved for using a mobile phone while driving...

Truthfully, it will be extremely unlikely your application will be unsuccessful. On more than one occasion you have shown poor judgement ie drink driving and assault. END OF STORY. The police are not going to be interested in debating whether you have changed your life, whether you were provoked, whether if was a few years ago, they are not going to be able to monitor your future conduct they can only judge you on your history.

Put yourself in there shoes if you got bevvied behind the wheel with your shotgun in the back, the press would have a total field day!

That said one day the impossible will be possible....good luck.

Truthfully, it will be extremely unlikely your application will be unsuccessful. On more than one occasion you have shown poor judgement ie drink driving and assault. END OF STORY. The police are not going to be interested in debating whether you have changed your life, whether you were provoked, whether if was a few years ago, they are not going to be able to monitor your future conduct they can only judge you on your history.

Put yourself in there shoes if you got bevvied behind the wheel with your shotgun in the back, the press would have a total field day!

That said one day the impossible will be possible....good luck.

But according to the police website.. the only people prohibited from holding a firearm are people who have had prison sentences.. 3 month to 3 years, prohibited for 5 years from date of offence... over 3 years prohibited for life.... Im not in either of them catagories.. So surely that gives some chance....

Edited by Shaunm41
well ummm to be blunt yes...........

its bad enough having history of driving offences but withholding info on assault big no no.you do realise that you are lying to the people that charged you they will check and will find out. you should have told them straight i dont fancy your chances to be honest but hopefully im wrong for your sake.

But it didnt state cautions on the form so i didnt include it.. I wasnt witholding it from them as I know they would find out anyway.. I simply didnt include it as It didnt state cautions.. It just says " have you been CONVICTED of any offence"

Like you, i have just recently sent off my shotgun certificate to west yorkshire police. What i did, as i have previous is i payed £10 to west yorkshire police to send me a list of my previous convictions. It came back with the common assault and a drunken disorderly i had years ago, but it didnt have anything else on there, like you i got done for no license or insurance and a few other minor things. So where do i stand??

I wish I had done that, then could have sent the list back and answered the question with "see attached notes"... i was not out to hide anything.. Did you write these on your form? and were you charged with the offences or cautioned? also when did you send your form off?

I sent mine off about a month ago, i rang first and they send just write see attached notes on application form. I was cautioned for drunk/disorderly and convicted of common assault. This was 11 years ago so hope it still wont count!! i am a member of a clay pigeon club, and got insurance through BASC so really hope i get it, doesnt sound like i will after reading the other posts on here. The cheque has been cashed though.

You sent it a month ago and still not heard anything? Have they not rang to arrange to come see you? Mine is coming up to 2 weeks now.... They cashed my cheque within the 1st week... I heard you get your money back if its refused, although Im not sure about this...

Yes you will get your money back if it is refused, they cash your cheque straight away. They have not rang me but apparently the process

can take upto 3 months!!!

Personally, If you were to write the form again, then i'd declare everything, be it a conviction, caution, fixed penalty notice, anything at least then you cannot called up for hiding things. They will know about your cautions, your driving convictions and every other minor offense regardless of whether you list it.

You are correct in that someone who has served over three years is prohibited and that between 3 months and 3 years banned for five years. However, much is said that the police have to grant you a Shotgun Certificate as it is a "right" but it is also their right to refuse on the grounds that the character of the individual may cause a danger to the public if he is allowed to own a firearm.

So from that definition, you are not prohibited from owning a firearm, but you may be found to be of bad character in the police's eyes. So there is no way of knowing what they will do at this stage and you will have to see what a) your FEO says and b. what decision your licensing manager comes to on the FEO's report and your past.

SS :thumbs:

What i did, as i have previous is i payed £10 to west yorkshire police to send me a list of my previous convictions.

Did you forget what you'd been nicked for in the past?

Forgot the dates maybe? :hmm:

When a person is foolish enough to get themselves a criminal record for whatever reason, they don't often take a note of the date of the offence and carry it around with them for the rest of their lives. They tent to want to forget the sorry episode and move on with their life.

Unless they're an idiot who treats convictions like some sort of badge of honour. :thumbs:

What i did, as i have previous is i payed £10 to west yorkshire police to send me a list of my previous convictions.

When a person is foolish enough to get themselves a criminal record for whatever reason, they don't often take a note of the date of the offence and carry it around with them for the rest of their lives. They tent to want to forget the sorry episode and move on with their life.

Unless they're an idiot who treats convictions like some sort of badge of honour. :thumbs:

I thought you had that Public indecency date tattooed on your arm? :D :D :D

:laugh: It's tattooed back to front across my forehead if you must know! :clapper: I used to have a fringe to cover it, up until a few years ago! :cry::laugh:

:laugh: It's tattooed back to front across my forehead if you must know! :clapper: I used to have a fringe to cover it, up until a few years ago! :cry::laugh:

:cry: :cry: Indeed :whistling:

Personally, If you were to write the form again, then i'd declare everything, be it a conviction, caution, fixed penalty notice, anything at least then you cannot called up for hiding things. They will know about your cautions, your driving convictions and every other minor offense regardless of whether you list it.

You are correct in that someone who has served over three years is prohibited and that between 3 months and 3 years banned for five years. However, much is said that the police have to grant you a Shotgun Certificate as it is a "right" but it is also their right to refuse on the grounds that the character of the individual may cause a danger to the public if he is allowed to own a firearm.

So from that definition, you are not prohibited from owning a firearm, but you may be found to be of bad character in the police's eyes. So there is no way of knowing what they will do at this stage and you will have to see what a) your FEO says and b. what decision your licensing manager comes to on the FEO's report and your past.

SS :thumbs:

I rang the FEO today, there was no answer so left a message for her to call me back.. I'll just explain everything to her and tell her I made a mistake.. Other than that i think i just have to wait and see.. Other that my previous that I have mentioned on here I should be seen as a fit person, I have a license to sell alcohol, Which was a pain in the arse to get, I was refused that by one licensing officer and because of my drink driving and had to apply to south yorkshire police instead to get that granted.. Different from a SC i know but still same kind of principals..