Getting a dog to jump

I know its been asked before but how can i do it? He's 10 months old he'll gladly jump over small obstacles in the garden but when out and about not a chance get to a style and you havent got a chance! As for getting him in the boot........................ i could understand if he was old he just makes it look such hard work! Help.

I know its been asked before but how can i do it? He's 10 months old he'll gladly jump over small obstacles in the garden but when out and about not a chance get to a style and you havent got a chance! As for getting him in the boot........................ i could understand if he was old he just makes it look such hard work! Help.

when out walking him pick him up and put him over a fence that you feel he can jump and walk off and leave him he may cry for abit but he will jump it thats how i taught mine and they are jumping well now. once your dog has jumped it once he will jump obsticlles all the time

when out walking him pick him up and put him over a fence that you feel he can jump and walk off and leave him he may cry for abit but he will jump it thats how i taught mine and they are jumping well now. once your dog has jumped it once he will jump obsticlles all the time

Aye am the same mate, just leave them at the other side of a fence that you think they should be able to jump and start walking away, they'll prob scream the place down but eventully thy will jump it, keep coaxin them over by calling their name, also if it's a wire fence try putting your jacket over the fence incase they get hung up in their 1st few attempts jumping :) atb Darren

No no no...your dog will get distressed by you walking off and leaving him - may cause himself an injury in his panic to get over to you.

Start in the house with a board across the door. Show him his food bowl with his food in it and then put it at the other side of the board so he has to go over the board to get it. Gradually increase the hieght of the board until it is not practical to go any bigger in your house. Then move out to the garden and make a jump out of wood/platic whatever. Make sure it is sturdy and wont fall over. Get the dog excited by playing a daft game with it them run up to the jump if its small enough for you to get over jump over it yourself, hopefully the dog will follow you. If the jump is too high move to the side so the dog goes over it - plenty of praise and a bit of chicken/sauasage/cheese whatever as praise. Keep repeating and persevere.

Adapt your methods to your particular dog - my dog is a greedy beggar and so food as an incentive works great for him, he has been over the board since i got him and i got it up to 2' before doing away with it as he jumps on the settee, bed, into and out of the car no problems, he's 16 weeks old now so i wont go any higher than what he's doing until he's a bit older but yours should be able to jump most things at that age.

hope you crack it soon mate

excatly the same as mine was mate would try and pull his self off the lead [bANNED TEXT] you walked past cars and that and this was about a month ago. now hes been going lampin in the car he must be thinking that [bANNED TEXT] he sees a car boot open hes goin lamping hell just jump in any car now.

If he's doing small jumps in the garden why not build some medium sized jumps in the garden. Them make some bigger jumps and even fake fences in the garden. You can't expect the poor thing to go from little jumps in the comfort zone of his home to menacing fences and stiles out in the big wide world .

Forget sitting him on one side of the fence an letting him squeal and scream himself into a frenzy until he is forced by desperation to try a jump to get back to you. It's not a nice thing to do to a dog you want to build a relationship of trust with and there's every chance the pup will jump badly or get hooked -up which will put him off jumping even more!

Whether training him at home over his garden jumping course or out in the woods give the quiet command ",Over"or "jump", every single time he is about to go over . Guide him over every fallen log or stream when out walking until he hops over obstacles on command without a thought . Then build up slowly .

This may sound a bit strange but if you have a dog that you know is well capable of a doing a jump but that is obviously a bit overawed by say a small gate or even a hop into the boot of a car there sometimes a simple solution .

Assuming the dog has learned basic obedience and responds calmly to its owner you could try sitting the dog behind the car . Then give the command "In ya go ,"(or whatever command you favour ) and at the same time lift the dog in . Then calm the dog and fuss him .

"Hum",thinks doggy , "that was pleasant ".

Don't repeat the exersize just do it every time you genuinly want to take him out. It may take a while but one day he will actually move toward the boot as you give the command and all you have to do is help ease him in rather than lift him in . The next stage is to let him do it all himself when he is ready .

Time taken over training is rarely wasted .And intelligently working through problems with your dog will pay far greater dividends that frightening and confusing it by forcing the pace .

This is stuff that has helped me anyway and I hope it is of some help to you .Good luck .

Edited by comanche

i would put my coat over the obsticle in the garden for a week, then put the same coat over various obsticles you think he could jump while out - slowly decreasingthe use of the jacket.... I did this with a bitch that wouldn't jump over wire fences...worked a treat.... just remembrr to reward qhwn jump has been done.

Once she gained confindence she became a natural

"Hum",thinks doggy , "that was pleasant ".

:laugh::laugh:

That sounds like very good advice to me... im in the process of doing this with a young bitch, and iv taken this onboard... my other lurcher of bull blood took to jumping like a duck to water, not much actual training needed. cheers comanche :thumbs:

regards DnN

No no no...your dog will get distressed by you walking off and leaving him - may cause himself an injury in his panic to get over to you.

Start in the house with a board across the door. Show him his food bowl with his food in it and then put it at the other side of the board so he has to go over the board to get it. Gradually increase the hieght of the board until it is not practical to go any bigger in your house. Then move out to the garden and make a jump out of wood/platic whatever. Make sure it is sturdy and wont fall over. Get the dog excited by playing a daft game with it them run up to the jump if its small enough for you to get over jump over it yourself, hopefully the dog will follow you. If the jump is too high move to the side so the dog goes over it - plenty of praise and a bit of chicken/sauasage/cheese whatever as praise. Keep repeating and persevere.

Adapt your methods to your particular dog - my dog is a greedy beggar and so food as an incentive works great for him, he has been over the board since i got him and i got it up to 2' before doing away with it as he jumps on the settee, bed, into and out of the car no problems, he's 16 weeks old now so i wont go any higher than what he's doing until he's a bit older but yours should be able to jump most things at that age.

hope you crack it soon mate

thats how we trained ours now he jumps of his own accord but he hates the car he still drools all over the place alb martync

some good advice there

i was having trouble doing this myself a few weeks ago, but the best thing to do is take her to a wall or fence that is jumping height which she cant get under, and put her front paws on the fence as your stepping over it, and hopefully she will get the idea it worked for me, and give her a command aswell when she jumps then soon enough your dog will be jumping what ever you need it to

Gripper ;)

i got my pup at 8 month she was jumping but i pushed her too much until she caught her back knee and put a 3"rip down it (not nice) after that it took me ages to get her to jump again starting with small jumps and gradually working them up but even now she is not the best as shes got no confidence and shes always cutting herself through this.my advice dont push the dog too hard