New rifle but witch one ???

Ok lads, im looking at buying a new rifle but im in a dilema as to witch one to buy but i am leaning to one of these rifles in a big way! I recently joined my local gun club so iv been considering on buying a .177 s410 or s510 but the thing is i also like to hunt aswell. I have 2 rifles at the moment, the BSA scorpion T10 .22 & the s410 .22 that i use for hunting & target shooting at the club but all the other lads at the club use .177 this is where my dilema starts as i want the best of both worlds. I want the knock down power of a .22 for if i want to use the rifle for hunting but the flatter trojectory for target shooting at the club, hence .20 springs to mind !! Does anybody use .20 for hunting or target shooting if so tell me what you think of it. Heres 4 rifles im looking at buying at the moment but only one will be joining my armery so what do you think ? s510 .177 , s410 .177 , BSA R-10 .177 , Daystate Huntsman classic .20

Cheers

migmog ( Martin )

There's no real dilema in my opinion. There are enough people who are happy with .177 as there are people who are happy with .22 and they can't all be wrong!

Just go with whichever you are happy with and you'll be ok. Don't go with the 0.20 as you won't have a great selection of guns and pellets in my opinion

my freind has a .20 rapid and he uses logun domenators in his which group well. if it was MY choice in this then i would go for the bsa r-10 because they have a good shot per fill, they look stunning, an are well balanced. but the thing is its not my choice its your so go for the one which handles best. as for calibre, nearly all modern pcps are accurate enough to kill no matter what calibre they are. i dropped a rabbit saturday at 25 yrds without a single kick with my s400 .177 using FT trophy pellets. it just fell over. best shot i've ever done.

Don’t fall into the calibre trap mate.

Both .177 and .22 calibre does the business on vermin every time if the hunter shoots his quarry in the head or worst case the neck.

I strongly believe that if you cant guarantee a brain or at worst a neck shot then I think the range people are shooting at is over estimated and it needs to be brought closer until a humane shot is guaranteed. The things we are shooting are vermin but still deserve our respect and professionalism to kill it quickly and out rightly.

I have a good mate that is a really good shot who uses a .177 BSA Ultra. He can quite happily drop bunnies at 35 - 45 metres with it and they die instantly.

Go with what ever calibre you like the best friend.

Zini

if you buy the huntsman .177 I'LL BE VERY JELOUS!! :tongue2: but to be honest which ever rifle fits you best, caliber dose'nt come in to it as p.o.i should count every squeeze. :thumbs: good luck in your chioce

regards

davy

Well thats the rifle im leaning to in a BIG WAY :11: but just dont know about the .177 but .20 :yes: :yes:

As has been said, don't fall into the .177 vs .22 crap for hunting. They will both do the business if you do...

For the target stuff, yes .177 may be a little more forgieving but in the field over the short'ish ranges we shoot at it really does not matter too much.

I've used .177, .20 and .22 over many years. Started with .22 (30 years ago as that was 'the hunting caliber'), used .177 for a long time after my FAC ran out. Been useing .20 for the past year or or so, as I'd not tried it before and now ended up back with .22.

I think caliber is in the shooter's head for field use but if you're into target shooting big-time, .177 may be the way to go. Most .20 pellets shoot a lot closer to .22 in practice. They tend to have a better ballisitc profile but with the stuff-all power we've got to play with, it's only splitting hairs.

Cheers. :)

Edited by andyfr1968

How long has .20 cal rifles been around and why isnt there much choice in pellets ?

To be honest iv never had a .177 rifle before and for some reason im sceptical about them as a hunting rifle, i think its just the difference in pellet size that always puts me off.

:hmm: F*ck it think il go for huntsman in .177 :headshot::

.20 has been around a long time

the difference between that and a .177 is nothing to be concerned about.

as you know the .177 is faster than .20 and has a flatter trajectory.

but if you pick up either (.177 and .20) and they are both zeroed correctly at say 40yd's and you shoot them would you be able to tell the difference ????

the reason there isn't a lot of pellet choice is they ain't that common, so manufacturers dont need to satisfy that area of the market.

at the end of the day "SHOT PLACEMENT" over calibre................every time !!!!!!

cheers

sean

.20 has been around a long time

the difference between that and a .177 is nothing to be concerned about.

as you know the .177 is faster than .20 and has a flatter trajectory.

but if you pick up either (.177 and .20) and they are both zeroed correctly at say 40yd's and you shoot them would you be able to tell the difference ????

the reason there isn't a lot of pellet choice is they ain't that common, so manufacturers dont need to satisfy that area of the market.

at the end of the day "SHOT PLACEMENT" over calibre................every time !!!!!!

cheers

sean

Cheers sean, im pritty good at shot placment with my .22's at 40 to 45 yard as it is so i can go with that one!

So Daystate huntsman classic .177 it is!

I just put loads of fishing gear up for sale to help towards the new gun so if you like fly fishing lads check out what iv got up for sale through my profile topics!!

You will still be able to target shoot and hunt with .177 . Forget .20 and go with the .177 that way you got the best of both worlds and the huntsman is a quality gun but then daystate do make sum handy kit . I have both calibers but im just greedy :D atb with your choice FV ;)