Mole control on farms

As above basically. I charge by the hour for mole work on farmland but was thinking that some form of "contract" would mean a more reliable income ie so much per month/year for x amount of acreage.

Does anyone do this or know someone that does? Anyone had any experience at all in this type of thing?

Please feel free to pm me any help/advice/knowledge at all. Thanks

As above basically. I charge by the hour for mole work on farmland but was thinking that some form of "contract" would mean a more reliable income ie so much per month/year for x amount of acreage.

Does anyone do this or know someone that does? Anyone had any experience at all in this type of thing?

Hi Trappa I have noticed most most farmers are not willing to be tied into a contract,infact most are so tight with their money for pest control and its not that important to them.

Nowdays ,They get money from Natural England to leave areas unkept to attract wildlife

Mole Catching is undertaken in different ways throughout the country...

The amount of money that you charge your client varies immensely :yes:

I have a couple of 'contracts' with hay dealers and silage producers,.and it is good interesting work on large farms.

However,..although it is useful to know that the contract will yield a definite guaranteed income,..it often comes at a price.

And for me ,..this contract business cuts two ways,..."You have them,.but THEY (own) your arse for an agreed set period of time"....

This I don't like... :no:

It maybe me,.but,.. I am a free spirit and like to come and go as I please,...I hate being tied down for several weeks on the same job,.. or having to work in just one area,.however large and scenic it might be...

I only want the quick 'in and out' of trapping in large private gardens, paddocks,.etc....and in my experience, they are generally far more profitable,..and that really is the bottom line.... :thumbs:

All the best to you,...and good trapping...

Kind regards,.CHALKWARREN... :drink:

Chalkwarren, thanks, i know exactly where you are coming from. This is my main worry. I charge farms per hour and houses have a set fee but was wanting to have a look at someone elses contract before i put pen to paper- being tied via a contract to a farm could be a nightmare if the wording is wrong on the contract and the expectations of the farmer are different to yours.

Im just wanting some form of regular income from the moles.

I can only echo what Chalky has said; contacts work both ways, and farmers always seem to expect that little bit more from you if they are paying out each month/quarter.

I only charge per mole caught, which suits me nicely, as I can then work the mole trapping into my schedule, rather than being told when/where/how by them. It also means that they cannot argue about the cost; "Here are x number of moles, and in this hand is the bill". Amazingly, the only late payer I've had this year is a multi-millionaire racing yard owner, who coughed in the end after I told him that I wouldn't be back until he agreed to pay on time.

You have PM.

Edited by Matt the Rat
I can only echo what Chalky has said; contacts work both ways, and farmers always seem to expect that little bit more from you if they are paying out each month/quarter.

I only charge per mole caught, which suits me nicely, as I can then work the mole trapping into my schedule, rather than being told when/where/how by them. It also means that they cannot argue about the cost; "Here are x number of moles, and in this hand is the bill". Amazingly, the only late payer I've had this year is a multi-millionaire racing yard owner, who coughed in the end after I told him that I wouldn't be back until he agreed to pay on time.

You have PM.

You have one hand spare to hand them the bill???

I thought you was the real deal mole trapper :laugh:

I have to wait till ive pushed the wheelbarrow full of moles home, then send an invoice :tongue2:

You have PM.

You have one hand spare to hand them the bill???

I thought you was the real deal mole trapper :laugh:

I have to wait till ive pushed the wheelbarrow full of moles home, then send an invoice :tongue2:

All my moles go straight into the trailer with the quad bike mate. I haven't found a wheelbarrow big enough yet :whistling:

Chalkwarren, thanks, i know exactly where you are coming from. This is my main worry. I charge farms per hour and houses have a set fee but was wanting to have a look at someone elses contract before i put pen to paper- being tied via a contract to a farm could be a nightmare if the wording is wrong on the contract and the expectations of the farmer are different to yours.

You can bet that the farmers' expectations will be different to yours .When he goes to mow or even for a casual walk across the fields and he spots a bit of moil it is going to touch a nerve if he has a contract with a mole-man to prevent such things . It won't matter to him at that moment that it might be the only bit mole -work on the farm . For a few seconds at least your name will be mud .

Much better for the customer to look out of his window and think ",Tis time I called-in that nice Mr Trappa again as the moles seem to be building-up just as they did this time last year ".

I'm probably on the same wavelength as Chalkwarren when it comes to not being pinned down for too long in the same place .

Mole-work is of a more organic nature than say servicing fly-units or monthly rodent checks and probably does'nt lent itself so well to being pigeon-holed or locked into contracts but that does'nt mean it can't be done as long as the relationship between the parties concerned is a realistic one .

Edited by comanche

You can bet that the farmers' expectations will be different to yours .When he goes to mow or even for a casual walk across the fields and he spots a bit of moil it is going to touch a nerve if he has a contract with a mole-man to prevent such things . It won't matter to him at that moment that it might be the only bit mole -work on the farm . For a few seconds at least your name will be mud .

Much better for the customer to look out of his window and think ",Tis time I called-in that nice Mr Trappa again as the moles seem to be building-up just as they did this time last year ".

I'm probably on the same wavelength as Chalkwarren when it comes to not being pinned down for too long in the same place .

Mole-work is of a more organic nature than say servicing fly-units or monthly rodent checks and probably does'nt lent itself so well to being pigeon-holed or locked into contracts but that does'nt mean it can't be done as long as the relationship between the parties concerned is a realistic one .

Got to agree with comanche and chalky... I have several contracts on small acrages, where regular checks are vital, but for farms its just not worth it.... and like said, if they are pleased, will keep using you year after year.

I agree with everyone, contracts and farmers mix like oil and water.....don't bother I had one with a particular farmer I would clear his moles unfortunately the bloke next door didn't bother with his every other day he was on the phone "ones come under the wall can you call" this farm was 20 miles away from me what a fecking pain it was and a lesson learned. ;) I think it's much better to have them "pay as you go"

Andy

I dont agree with anyone at all, never will do either, cause i am always right! :D

Simple fact is you should stay there until you have killed all the moles regardless of how long it takes you and i also believe you shoudnt be fed until the job is done! even if it takes weeks, months, fecking years... after all, you are being payed for the job you slackers.

if a job is worth doing etc....

Edited by John Keswick

Thanks for the replies lads, some great info , thanks.

I think i will give farmer contracts a miss, it does seem like it could potentially be more trouble than its worth, though there might be something in the domestic contracts.

I will stick with "by the hour" and "one-off fee's" for now i think.

Thanks again for the replies, i appreciate it a great deal.

trappa