complete ferret food

Guest ferret

Guest ferret

we seem to be all of a sudden blaming the ferret complete for various illnesses our ferrets seem to be having,a lot of the time for myself its much more convenient to give the food especially through the summer months i tend to stick to james wellbeloveds it tends to be expensive but the ferrets seem to come on fine with it,the research that has gone into the food seems to be well balanced,compared to the old fashioned bread and milk diet that was given to the ferrets,i give them fresh meat and quite a lot of rabbit and various vermin through the winter,you must be careful for there are like everything cheap and chearfull dried ferret food out there,CRAMP has unfortunately lost a couple of his ferrets lately they have gone down with some kind of muscle problems which have resulted in the back ends going lethargic like the alsation dogs has hip displacior.his ferrets have been fed on rabbit and meat at all times,i think we need to take our ferrets to the vets for sound advice before we all start jumping to the enevitablel conclusion of the ferret complete food,by us in swansea we have a great vet and lurcherman called cambells vets,he is a great vet and because we all take the dogs to him whatever damage they have come across out in the field he never asks questions,again his prices are very reasonable ,all the best

My ferret has not been well of late and i fed it the complete food too.

I have stoped giving them it since and she has improoved a bit, but i was told at the vets it was ring worm. :blink:

The vet did say that their is a posibility that it could be the food, as the relations of my 2 ferrets died of eating comlete dog food. The lab came back with confirmed results to proove this.

The vet said it might only effect certain strains of ferrets.

Frank.

as the relations of my 2 ferrets died of eating comlete dog food.

I think thats your answer, complete dog food is for DOGS not ferrets :blink: They have different nutritional requirements. The nearest thing you can feed in an emergency to feed a ferret is tinned cat food.

MOLL.

Guest wickidweasel

as the relations of my 2 ferrets died of eating comlete dog food.

I think thats your answer, complete dog food is for DOGS not ferrets :blink: They have different nutritional requirements. The nearest thing you can feed in an emergency to feed a ferret is tinned cat food.

MOLL.

Have to agree with molly there dog food is too low in proetein for ferrets the odd bit here and there wont hurt but as a base of the diet its lacking in everything they need most

i bought some iam's cat food 3kg costs £12.99 but it was 1 month past the best before date. so it cost £2.50 i have been feeding it for about 2 weeks and there's a big differencs in the condition of my ferrets. i feed rabbit. raw mackerel. sardines in sunflower oil. and egg once a week. but i can see the difference in feeding iam's ...if i was rich i would feed iam's all the time but at £12.99 for 3kg its a bit expensive for me ...cheers KING

Why are you talking about feeding them cat and dog food? There are quite a few complete FERRET foods out there which have been nutritionally balanced especially for ferrets. Dog and cat food does not have the right amount of protein! If you are feeding your ferrets complete food meant for other animals i'm not surprised they are ill!!!

Why are you talking about feeding them cat and dog food? There are quite a few complete FERRET foods out there which have been nutritionally balanced especially for ferrets. Dog and cat food does not have the right amount of protein! If you are feeding your ferrets complete food meant for other animals i'm not surprised they are ill!!!

Iams has 30% proteen ....perfect for adult ferrets ;)

however you cant beat a proper diet. ie rabbit,pigeon crows ect

Iams has 30% proteen ....perfect for adult ferrets ;)

however you cant beat a proper diet. ie rabbit,pigeon crows ect

Its not just the protein its all the other oils and vitamins etc etc. I feed my dry because it stays fresh for longer they also get a couple of eggs mixed in once a week and a bowl of kitten milk, again once a week and ive never had any health problems. As you said it was cat food not ferret food if it was for both animals they would call it Iams Cat and Ferret Food :D;)

I have a real issue with people just feeding tiny kits ferret complete, its not enough & they dont come on physically & mentally imo.

Ferret kits should have meat raw & plenty of it, i would allow a bowl of complete kibble in the hutch at all times, but its meat for me everytime.

Kits who are just fed on ferret complete food are 99.9% of the time hungry hence the amount of ferret owners cribbing about kits biting & drawing blood, they need meat simple as that, i also think complete food makes them hyper & at times uncontrolable :) , i know a kit who wont play is a sick kit but i have seen the state of peoples hands after wrestling with nippy kits & they wonder why FEED MEAT for christs sake.

My ferrets get meat & dry food they either eat the kibble of they dont, i also think gnoring on bones keeps there teeth nice & clean, i was shocked when i saw the state of an 18 month old hobs teeth who had been fed on kibble alone, they were in a shocking state, discoloured & the amount of plaque that had built up on the back teeth was disguting. :)

Guest Erin go bragh

My ferrets are on that food i was wanting to get them on day old chicks for the winter but i have no transport to the hatchery and i cant drive i am to young lol and it is miles away so i think ill be just keeping them on that with he odd bit of meat now and then

Edited by Erin go bragh