Recommend a winch

Following last nights events .....getting stuck in the mud (luckily a mate came and pulled us out....Thanks Jimmy).I thought maybe I should consider getting a winch. Anyone any recommendations ? Or any 4X4 garages in central Scotland.

What tyres have you got on? This would be the first thing to change for me. Get some BFG all terrains if you use your L200 on the road lots, but still want OK tyres for off road, Or go for any type of Mud Terrain tyre if you are mainly off road. These tyres should stop you getting stuck all the places you go in L200's.

If you are set on putting a winch on, Come up winches are very good for the money. You will also need a winch plate, and get it welded or bolted to the chassis, as well as cutting your bumper and grill up so it will fit. Winches kill batterys too, so you may have to put a Optima battery on.

quote]

What tyres have you got on? This would be the first thing to change for me. Get some BFG all terrains if you use your L200 on the road lots, but still want OK tyres for off road, Or go for any type of Mud Terrain tyre if you are mainly off road. These tyres should stop you getting stuck all the places you go in L200's.

If you are set on putting a winch on, Come up winches are very good for the money. You will also need a winch plate, and get it welded or bolted to the chassis, as well as cutting your bumper and grill up so it will fit. Winches kill batterys too, so you may have to put a Optima battery on.

I have already got some Kingpin AT's (whether they are any good is another debate lol!), what budget do you think I should set for the whole setup?

Land rovers are shit. They may not get stuck much but who wants to drive around in a noisy uncomfortable piece of junk like a land rover. I would rather get stuck now and again but have a bit of comfort.

landrover discovery or range rover?????? i personaly prefer a td5 discovery as a hunting vehicle..my mrs has a 110 double cab.it has air con,heated front screen,heated leather seats,electric windows,central locking,air locker's uncomfortable????? maybe a 1990 110 maybe uncomfy but please post some pics of somthing jap and twenty years old??? oh you wont be able will you they've all rotted away :whistling::whistling:

tintedlandy.jpg

Edited by woz
Land rovers are shit. They may not get stuck much but who wants to drive around in a noisy uncomfortable piece of junk like a land rover. I would rather get stuck now and again but have a bit of comfort.

landrover discovery or range rover?????? i personaly prefer a td5 discovery as a hunting vehicle..my mrs has a 110 double cab.it has air con,heated front screen,heated leather seats,electric windows,central locking,air locker's uncomfortable????? maybe a 1990 110 maybe uncomfy but please post some pics of somthing jap and twenty years old??? oh you wont be able will you they've all rotted away :whistling::whistling:

tintedlandy.jpg

love landys but just no room had 90, defenda's, disco's no room in

the front pity BEST 4X4 BY FAR :notworthy:

you can get a winch called a terfer winch basically a wire rope (length is your choice) and a box with a handle,hook it up and move the handle back and forth,they will dead pull 3 1/2 tons....this would be cheaper than a bolt on vehicle winch......i find the way of not getting stuck is to run the vehicle in normal drive and when you start getting stuck,select dif lock and back out the way youve come.......

you can get a winch called a terfer winch basically a wire rope (length is your choice) and a box with a handle,hook it up and move the handle back and forth,they will dead pull 3 1/2 tons....this would be cheaper than a bolt on vehicle winch......i find the way of not getting stuck is to run the vehicle in normal drive and when you start getting stuck,select dif lock and back out the way youve come.......

I was wondering when someone was going to get this back on topic lol ! Thanks for the advice I will look into these can you suggest any websites etc?

How would this work if you get stuck in the middle of a field with NO anchor points ie: trees or posts, and the ground is to soft for a spike to be hammered in......

the best winch is a TOYOTA HILUX or a TRACTOR i would go for the 1st option not as heavy on the Diesel, double cab is best can get the wife and kids in the cab and the 2 dogs in the tub, its FECKIN hard to do this in a TRACTOR :clapper::clapper::clapper:

ONLY KIDDING DAVE its not worth the expense if you are not out and about every day, best tip is to keep back from lush green grass next to a sheep water trough with no sheep activity around it, usually find that its sodden wet and you are apt to get bogged down LOL.... its maybe your 1st but i can tell you from experience that it wont be the last.