Does anyone feed there ferrets hole rabbits without gutting them ?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always feed mine gutted, but then wether they have been shot or ferreted, if you gut them in the field, makes them lighter to carry, specialy when you'vre got 50 or so,

Ive got a chest freezer in the shed, that will hold approx 55 full size rabbits, when I get the rabbits home, chop all feet off and head, this makes them fit in the freezer better, feet get chucked, but all heads go in a bag in freezer, I put a layer of rabbits in, normal 5 or 6, then cover with a piece of plastic/carrier bag, then another layer etc, this stops then sticking together, as new rabbits are bought home, I'll remove already frozen stuff, put the fresh ones at bottom, and start layering again, this makes sure all rabbits get frozen for a good 2 to 3 weks before being used

I tend to use two rabbits a day (evening) depending how many ferts are in courts or cages, they can either be given whole rabbits/halves or quarters, the dogs normally get the back legs

Same here ive two freezers one hold roughly a 100 rabbits the other maybe 150 i just gut them split the ribs and pelvis and pop them in a poly bag freeze them in layers of 6 and just take them out the day before i feed them

I think it f*****g stinks when you leave them in. I prefer to gut them then I usually cut it up (with pelt on) if its just one so the 3 cages each get some with their dry stuff if not chuck it all in but without the intestines. The kidneys and liver I like to hand feed or give to the dog.

ATB

Jordan

yeah me to , although i don't give them the liver all the time , about once or twice a week, i read that to much is bad for them, kidneys , heart lungs OK. if i get a pigeon or what have you i chuck them in hole and usually there's a toe or a piece of foot left in the morning and the rest is gone

I tend to feed mine whole rabbits three of four times a week. I gut them though, as I find the ferts will leave the grass bag, & as mentioned previously, it stinks (as well as harbouring the majority of parasites) I won't put a freshly-killed rabbit in though, as I don't want fleas in the court (jury's still out as far as rabbit fleas & ferts are concerned, in my view), but I leave the liver & kidneys in.......well, those that the mtt doesn't steal, anyway :D

They always have access to Chudleys though..............I have eight in the court together, & they get through an entire rabbit in a few hours, so I like to make certain they have access to food at all times