How much rib do you see ?

Hello All

Ive been shot gun shooting for 3 years and mainly done rough shooting . Only this year have i bought a over and under and taken the sport more seriously and had a lesson with an instructor.

The question i have is how much of the rib do you see when aiming ?

Ive been told that you shouldnt see any of the rib when mounting the gun you should only see the bead.

My instructor placed a £1 coin on the top of the rib a few inches down from my eye and told me i should see the rib infront of the coin and behind it to the bead.

Im hitting clays comming towards me and over head but struggling on crossers hence my question.

Any advice much appreciated

niffkin

dont aim..........always point a shotgun !!!

where are you missing crossers????

they are usually missed behind.......indicating not enough lead ( in front)

i only see the bead when i'm shooting and normally get reasoable scores..........most o/u shoot high so perhaps you should allow for this next time ( i think thats what your instructor means).

cheers

sean

i only see the bead when i'm shooting and normally get reasoable scores..........most o/u shoot high so perhaps you should allow for this next time ( i think thats what your instructor means).

cheers

sean

spot on mate if you see to much rib then you are looking down onto the barrels rather than along them often resulting in shooting to high this is why gun "fit"is so important imo

cheers

sean

hello mate my advice for you is that you shouldnt see hardly any rib at all. and if you are stuggling on crossing birds a trick i use is to stand behind people if possable and see look down there gun when they are shooting just to get the rough idea on where they are mounting and picking the clay up before they pull the trigger. most clays that are crossing are mist from behind when you mount the gun keep it swinging while pulling the trigger you should have your gun just beneath the bottom of the clay as sporting guns shoot high and try and shoot them in mid flight as if you let them get away or start to loose momentum it will drop like a brick and is harder to shoot. keep up the practice hope this helps mate.atb ps if you can get some i would recomend getting some tracer cartridges they will show you exactly where you are going wrong all so try dry mounting your gun when you are at home sitting in the chair pick an ournamnet or something on the wall and mount your gun the release i found it helped me on my mounting technique. also have you had a fitting for the gun as this can also help alot. sorry about the long post.

no worries i shoot clays with my old game gun 29&3/4" barrels multi choke but i use 3/4 chokes in it a gun is a gun mate just that game guns are a little bit lighter thats all sporters are heavier to take some of the re coil out. persist with it try going to your local gun shop and ask if they can just try a fitting for you may find the gun a little to long/ short in the stock or you may need a little cast on the stock.sure you will get there in time mate takes a while to adjust from game to clay but no better practice than woody's or try a little bit of skeet shooting to sharpen you up this gets you moving and standing correctly also they are all crossin birds near enough.

to see if ya shooting high try it on a pattern plate, most clay grounds have em, if not take some wallpaper and hang it on a fence or from a tree in the field, draw a cross on it then "point and shoot" dont aim, see were you are truly aiming.

More than likely ya not giving them enough lead, that was my biggest problem till i learn to point and shoot, now it comes naturally

cheers

sean

hello mate my advice for you is that you shouldnt see hardly any rib at all. and if you are stuggling on crossing birds a trick i use is to stand behind people if possable and see look down there gun when they are shooting just to get the rough idea on where they are mounting and picking the clay up before they pull the trigger. most clays that are crossing are mist from behind when you mount the gun keep it swinging while pulling the trigger you should have your gun just beneath the bottom of the clay as sporting guns shoot high and try and shoot them in mid flight as if you let them get away or start to loose momentum it will drop like a brick and is harder to shoot. keep up the practice hope this helps mate.atb ps if you can get some i would recomend getting some tracer cartridges they will show you exactly where you are going wrong all so try dry mounting your gun when you are at home sitting in the chair pick an ournamnet or something on the wall and mount your gun the release i found it helped me on my mounting technique. also have you had a fitting for the gun as this can also help alot. sorry about the long post.

Thankyou very much i really appreciate all your advice

cheers

sean

Thankyou very much i really appreciate all your advice

no probs mate try my best i was at your stage once. chap posted about pattern plate good advice once you have drawn a cross then shot at it you sould be able to count the number of shot in each section then place a clay in each section of the target and draw around the clay but only if there is no shot holes in that part of the papper i think you should have no more than 7 whole clays in a half choke and 8 or nine in a /14 choke if you have more shot at the top of pattern plate you shooting high more shot on the bottom shooting low and the same for right and left. so fitting may be in order.and when pattern gun its done about 35 yrds do 1 shot for the top barrel and then chnge board papper. and do same for bottom barrel this should give you some rough idea. the people who done my gun for me had me dry mount my gun at a air rifle target at about 30 yrds or so with a pin hole in the bulls eye i had to mount the gun directly at the target 3 times with out rifleing the gun i/e 1 eye shut and they could tell me if i was high low and what cast i needed this is something you and your mates could try aswell. also what hand are you and which is your strongest eye?

004-1.jpg

place the coin hear

010.jpg

this is how much rib you should see, hitting crosser`s you must give a lot of lead

30 yards away 15 feet high clay, lead 3 feet but when you shoot don`t stop keep the gun going

if you don`t you will always miss from behind

40 yards 5to6 feet and give it more if you need to

hope this helps

Edited by clay man
is it a trap gun, skeet gun, sporter or what?

its a game gun 28inch barrel

if the gun fits you then you shouldnt see any rib with it beign a game gun. sounds like the stock is too high for you. what you need to do is either get the stock altered to fit you or sell that gun and buy one that fits you from the start. have a word with ur coach if you buy a new gun and see if he will go with u and make sure that it fits you.

SEAN

you are right but if the gun dont fit you then it wont shoot where you are looking

004-1.jpg

place the coin hear

010.jpg

this is how much rib you should see, hitting crosser`s you must give a lot of lead

30 yards away 15 feet high clay, lead 3 feet but when you shoot don`t stop keep the gun going

if you don`t you will always miss from behind

40 yards 5to6 feet and give it more if you need to

hope this helps

Hello

Just wanted to say a very big thankyou to you for going to the effort of sending me photos it has helped a lot .

Best wishes

Nifkin

is it a trap gun, skeet gun, sporter or what?

its a game gun 28inch barrel

if the gun fits you then you shouldnt see any rib with it beign a game gun. sounds like the stock is too high for you. what you need to do is either get the stock altered to fit you or sell that gun and buy one that fits you from the start. have a word with ur coach if you buy a new gun and see if he will go with u and make sure that it fits you.

SEAN

you are right but if the gun dont fit you then it wont shoot where you are looking

Thanks mate much appreciated