'house training'

could someone please sort out an argument between my husband and I (no letter bomb will be sent I promise!!!!!)

we are trying to house train our pup she does 'go' when I put her outside,when she wakes up, after eating,after playing...etc but she also goes inside at other times too.I just remover her quietly put her outside and clean up the puddle.My thinking is that sooner or later she'll get it and as she gets more control over her bladder she'll be ok.

My husband on the opther hand is one of the 'rub their noses in it' brigade, this horrifies me and I think she'll just start going out of sight to do it instead.He says I'm too soft and I say he's too harsh......what do you think??????? :hmm:

i go for the rub the nose in it as they will learn if they do there business inside they will be punished for it

i use a combination of both i dont exactly rub there nose in it but show what they have done make them aware they have done wrong and take them outside you need to whatch the pup and you will soon see the sign of when its about to pee or poop usually they kinda start to sniff a particular spot quite often where they have done it indoors before and mabye take a few steps either side of the spot watch for this and get it outside dont carry it out get it to follow you quickly and before it knows its outside doin a pee this worked for my last few pups some learn quicker than others. be patient and firm.

Edited by Steve McHardy

stargazer you are not being too soft, just be that bit more vigilant, never ever should you chastise a dog for making a mistake, perserverence is the key..like everything else with training.

its sounds like your half way there, just keep an eyey on the dogs movement, when the nose goes doen and they more erraticly thats your time to get them out, the business will soon follow and then its time for lots of praise. i'm currently going through the same process.

you will get there but never be harsh.

regards RS

stargazer you are not being too soft, just be that bit more vigilant, never ever should you chastise a dog for making a mistake, perserverence is the key..like everything else with training.

its sounds like your half way there, just keep an eyey on the dogs movement, when the nose goes doen and they more erraticly thats your time to get them out, the business will soon follow and then its time for lots of praise. i'm currently going through the same process.

regards RS

^^^^^^^^^

Agree with this, been through it a few times, you will soon suss out when it needs to go outside.

i go for the rub the nose in it as they will learn if they do there business inside they will be punished for it

I'm just worried that she'll think it's her doing it in front of me thats upset me and then she'll just start doing it out of sight?because if she does it might be hours before I find the 'accident' and I'll have no chance at that point of getting her to admit ownership!!!!

regards RS

regards RS

^^^^^^^^^

Agree with this, been through it a few times, you will soon suss out when it needs to go outside.

Both these are correct ! If your husband did some thing wrong at work how would he like some giant coming over and giving him a thrashing.

Take the dog out Very frequently and make a big fuss when it do's the biz !

When it makes a mess indoors make sure you clean up well and use some deodorizer as if it can smell the mess it may well use the same spot again.

You only get out of a dog what you put in ! Good luck .

Guest MIST NET

I'm just worried that she'll think it's her doing it in front of me thats upset me and then she'll just start doing it out of sight?because if she does it might be hours before I find the 'accident' and I'll have no chance at that point of getting her to admit ownership!!!!

We have a 13 week old lab bitch which we bought at 8 week old, from day one we always say "toilet" every time she goes..and guess what this little pup will now pee and poo on the comand "toilet"...persistence pays and yes they do have accidents but dont kid who are being potty trained.

same here, my terrier pup( 14 weeks or so) is around 90% clean in the house,he has accidents but they are mostly my fault( not being vigilent enough while busy).

he has not had a rollocking yet.a no if he wants to chew something i'd prefer left in one piece and down if he begs( doesn't bother now as he never gets anything :thumbs: )

i don't like to put too much pressure on the pup at a tender age,call me a softie if you will but i know it works in the end. positive impressioning.

good luck with the pup.

Rubbing their nose in the mess is really very uncalled for! Maybe the husband needs to read a few modern puppy training books! Dinosaur! :wallbash:

Would you rub shit on a childs nose for messing it's nappy??? I doubt it, you teach the child about using the toilet...same for dogs, repitition is the key watch the pup and once it starts running round with it's nose down looking to go you gotta get it outside and use the same word each time it goes outside(toilet, go pee, go poo or whatever you want). Punishment will NOT work only stress it more :thumbdown:

Rubbing their nose in the mess is really very uncalled for! Maybe the husband needs to read a few modern puppy training books! Dinosaur! :wallbash:

Would you rub shit on a childs nose for messing it's nappy??? I doubt it, you teach the child about using the toilet...same for dogs, repitition is the key watch the pup and once it starts running round with it's nose down looking to go you gotta get it outside and use the same word each time it goes outside(toilet, go pee, go poo or whatever you want). Punishment will NOT work only stress it more :thumbdown:

I agree with this, especially with regards to stressing it more. It just makes the dog scared of taking a crap and scared of you, Not the way to build a good bond with your dog. I hope you manage to agree, its not easy when you have conflicting views.

I agree with this, especially with regards to stressing it more. It just makes the dog scared of taking a crap and scared of you, Not the way to build a good bond with your dog. I hope you manage to agree, its not easy when you have conflicting views.

thanks all for your comments and advice,shes pretty good in the 'poo' department and almost always goes outside.Unfortunatly she hardly ever pees out there unless she already outside.I'm just going to keep at it with her and I'll continue to leave the door open (for as long as I can stand the cold!!)as I'm sure it's because she's just too busy playing when shes inside and she just forgets.Husband still isn't convinced but is under threat of death if he shouts at her!

• 2 weeks later...