.22 WMR or .17 HMR

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have to suggest that WRF is a bit of a non starter, it is very difficult to find and is all but dead in the water....

http://www.chuckhawks.com/22WRF.htm

difficult to find yes - but it means you can fire LR power rounds in a 22mag gun. So less noise and meat damage making it a very useful all round gun

Don't get me wrong, I love my WMR and it is a cracking calibre, but I also have a .22lr and HMR so I select as appropriate, I do not know any local dealers who stock WRF and it isn't a problem for me, but many others will struggle to find it as well...inevitable there must be some in the country (I guess):hmm:

Hi Guys

To say I am P****d off is an understatement....I have been eagerly awaiting the arrival of CCI 0073 .22WMR 30G V-Max ammo from GMK.

I got fed up with the wait and have contacted GMK about the ammo, unfortunately they have lived up to their normal reputation, ..after a couple of emails and me telling them I was told on THEIR stand at the CLA Game Fair this year they had some on order, the following response has been recieved about this ammo......

Unfortunately you have been given incorrect information.

No dealers have ordered this round via GMK, the only way you would obtain this round in the UK is to place a special order with your dealer for a minimum order of 2000 rounds. Delivery 2-3 months!

Apologies

So...we are all f****d unless you want to order 2000 or more (and wait 6 months at least..that's what GMK 2-3 months means)...

ANY suggestions???? :doh::hmm::hmm:

A while back I started a thread on "Ammunition . . ." about reloading WMR. General opinion varied from "No point" to "Yer daft sod". Now let's see. The only point might be to change the bullets, OK?

WMR is .224 calibre. There are a LOT of 30gr .224 bullets on the market. If you want to find out how they perform in the field just do it, OK? DON'T moan. Buy some Berger 30gr Moly disulphide coated bullets, pull the dodgy bullets from the WMR factory rounds, reload 'em with 30gr ballistic tips and get out there and shoot the fu**ers.

He who laughs last laughs longest.

Ric

Hi Guys

To say I am P****d off is an understatement....I have been eagerly awaiting the arrival of CCI 0073 .22WMR 30G V-Max ammo from GMK.

I got fed up with the wait and have contacted GMK about the ammo, unfortunately they have lived up to their normal reputation, ..after a couple of emails and me telling them I was told on THEIR stand at the CLA Game Fair this year they had some on order, the following response has been recieved about this ammo......

Unfortunately you have been given incorrect information.

No dealers have ordered this round via GMK, the only way you would obtain this round in the UK is to place a special order with your dealer for a minimum order of 2000 rounds. Delivery 2-3 months!

Apologies

So...we are all f****d unless you want to order 2000 or more (and wait 6 months at least..that's what GMK 2-3 months means)...

ANY suggestions???? :doh::hmm::hmm:

A while back I started a thread on "Ammunition . . ." about reloading WMR. General opinion varied from "No point" to "Yer daft sod". Now let's see. The only point might be to change the bullets, OK?

WMR is .224 calibre. There are a LOT of 30gr .224 bullets on the market. If you want to find out how they perform in the field just do it, OK? DON'T moan. Buy some Berger 30gr Moly disulphide coated bullets, pull the dodgy bullets from the WMR factory rounds, reload 'em with 30gr ballistic tips and get out there and shoot the fu**ers.

He who laughs last laughs longest.

Ric

Pray tell, from where can we buy the .22 30gr V-max heads?

Much easier if GMK weren't such a bunch of useless pillocks...

Not a bad idea to reload,but,what powder,amount of powder,and where to get the dies? I've got the press and all the bits to reload my hornet and .223,and would definitely have a go using 35gn v-max bullets that i've got for the hornet.

Alan

Not a bad idea to reload,but,what powder,amount of powder,and where to get the dies? I've got the press and all the bits to reload my hornet and .223,and would definitely have a go using 35gn v-max bullets that i've got for the hornet.

Alan

I was thinking in terms of replacing the standard bullet with a ballistic tip. You can't actually reload rimfire because the brass is very soft. I realise it would be a pricey exercise buying ammo and throwing half of each round away but it might be worth it.

Ric

Alan

I was thinking in terms of replacing the standard bullet with a ballistic tip. You can't actually reload rimfire because the brass is very soft. I realise it would be a pricey exercise buying ammo and throwing half of each round away but it might be worth it.

Ric

Ric

I think I know where you are coming from but some smart arse is always going to pick you up on terms/info.....first off let me say I do not reload and only wave a basic knowledge of the process...BUT reloading Rimfire is a much bigger problem than the Brass being soft!!!

Is this a silly question.....Can you get a bullet puller for a WMR (perhaps you can, I just don't know)? Or is there another sensible way to do it, again, I don't know!! :hmm:

Can you buy .224 30g V-Max heads, if so, where please??

If you can answer yes to all the above I may just be able to get someone to try and make up an appropriate load.

Cheers

Edited by Deker

Alan

Ric

Ric

I think I know where you are coming from but some smart arse is always going to pick you up on terms/info.....first off let me say I do not reload and only wave a basic knowledge of the process...BUT reloading Rimfire is a much bigger problem than the Brass being soft!!!

Is this a silly question.....Can you get a bullet puller for a WMR (perhaps you can, I just don't know)? Or is there another sensible way to do it, again, I don't know!! :hmm:

If you can answer yes to all the above I may just be able to get someone to try and make up an appropriate load.

Cheers

Alan said that he would try 35 gr V-Max. Wouldn't be as fast as the 30gr obviously. I haven't the faintest foggiest fugh of a notion about the bullet puller!

I raised this in the first place because the WMR entry in Wikipedia states thet some reloading fanatics in the states had tried it. Might be worth having a trawl round the reloading sites on the web. And yes, I do realise, even from my armchair, that there is more to the problems reloading rimmy than the brass! Mr Logic got it right for me when he said that with the 30gr BT on the way it wasn't worth the effort but circumstances alter cases. (Groan.)

Berger bullets sell a 30gr .224 bullet, and they could, I believe, be delivered to you direct. At least it would help you decide whether to take a deep breath and order from GMK!

Ric

PS I used to "reload" 22 shorts. Yank the bullet with pliers, fill the case with sand, drop a blob of candlewax on top to seal it. Death to rats indoors! Bloody silly TBH but I was only about 14

Edited by RicW

Alan

Ric

Ric

Cheers

Alan said that he would try 35 gr V-Max. Wouldn't be as fast as the 30gr obviously. I haven't the faintest foggiest fugh of a notion about the bullet puller!

I raised this in the first place because the WMR entry in Wikipedia states thet some reloading fanatics in the states had tried it. Might be worth having a trawl round the reloading sites on the web. And yes, I do realise, even from my armchair, that there is more to the problems reloading rimmy than the brass! Mr Logic got it right for me when he said that with the 30gr BT on the way it wasn't worth the effort but circumstances alter cases. (Groan.)

Berger bullets sell a 30gr .224 bullet, and they could, I believe, be delivered to you direct. At least it would help you decide whether to take a deep breath and order from GMK!

Ric

PS I used to "reload" 22 shorts. Yank the bullet with pliers, fill the case with sand, drop a blob of candlewax on top to seal it. Death to rats indoors! Bloody silly TBH but I was only about 14

I bet your Mum loved you.. :whistling:

Anyway...I think we are struggling to find a 30g V-max bullets, all I can find on Berger is a 30g HP which is rather missing the point of the CCI 30g WMR V-Max, Hey Ho!

I am trying to find a dealer to order me GMK minimum quantity of 2000 of CCI 0073 30g V-Max WMR, that really isn't that many, I could handle that lot myself if they work ok! :thumbs:

Alan

Ric

Ric

Cheers

Ric

I bet your Mum loved you.. :whistling:

Anyway...I think we are struggling to find a 30g V-max bullets, all I can find on Berger is a 30g HP which is rather missing the point of the CCI 30g WMR V-Max, Hey Ho!

I am trying to find a dealer to order me GMK minimum quantity of 2000 of CCI 0073 30g V-Max WMR, that really isn't that many, I could handle that lot myself if they work ok! :thumbs:

Federal also offer a 30gr BT. As for me mum, she used to fire 4.5" Vickers AA at Heinkel bombers. Credited with a share in two kills. She was on the radar and told the gunners where to shoot. Bit like the guy holding the lamp . . .

• 2 weeks later...

While I haven't had any experience shooting fox with my 17HMR, I will say that it has packed enough punch to take down raccoons, and bobcats so I wouldn't know why it would not have enough power to get the job done on fox. I would also say that I would go with the 17 HMR over the 22 WMR, just because you can get better accuracy with the 17, and if you ever do any close range hunting of small fur I don't believe the 17 will damage the pelt or meat as bad as a 22 WMR will.

I'm heading in to my dealer on saturday to pick up some 30gr BT Hornady WMR rounds for £23/100. He tried to get the offerings from CCI, Remingtion, Federal and maybe one other but all were either not availbe, the company couldn't sort their life out, or too expensive. So will report on these Hornadys

While I haven't had any experience shooting fox with my 17HMR, I will say that it has packed enough punch to take down raccoons, and bobcats so I wouldn't know why it would not have enough power to get the job done on fox. I would also say that I would go with the 17 HMR over the 22 WMR, just because you can get better accuracy with the 17, and if you ever do any close range hunting of small fur I don't believe the 17 will damage the pelt or meat as bad as a 22 WMR will.

Especially if you use the full metal jacket bullets at close range (I use CCI Full metal jackets). They work very well for close range hunting of small animals such as muskrats, and they don't make a real big mess of them like a CCI TNT hollow point will.

I have the 22 mag&17hmr , The 22mag was my first rifle it did for charles at short range . As said in earlier threads I think this round is better for fox ,but 17hmr is better at longer range rabbit crow ,etc.It shoots flatter.

each round has its pluses and minuses . And to our American cousins ,unfortunatly there is no Market for Charles coat so the damage does not matter just the humane kill.