1st snare, 1st rabbit.

Guest whippet

Guest whippet

I got bored yesterday so I decided to make a snare, I used 7 strand picture wire, an eyelet from a guitar string and some stiff many stranded silvery wire stuff to attach the whole thing to a fence. Went out to a field really close to my house that is next to a motorway that has massive bramble covered siding, looked along the fence line and found a perfect place in the fence that was obviously used as a regular runway. Set the snare how I best thought (about 2 inches off the ground and the same again from the fence).

Checked it this morning and found one perfectly snared 3/4 grown in it :yahoo: , it was a bit awkward getting it back through the fence but I managed fine, broke it's neck and slung it in the bag. There's now one tasty looking rabbit in the fridge for tea tonight (dad was happy, the cat looked interested too). Looks like I'll be making an order for some proper wire and eyelets when I get my 1st paycheck from the job I start next week. :)

Guest whippet
That'll be you hooked!

Damn right, ensnared even. :laugh:

Not sure how I'm gonna cook it, I forgot we had summat planned for tonight so I'll do it tomorrow. I think there's a bit of pigeon in the freezer so I might make a pie of some kind. Mmmmmm, pigeon, rabbit and bacon pie, sounds good. :)

Guest whippet

You read my mind, that's just what I was thinking of adding.

Speaking of mushies I hope we get a good crop round here like we did 2 years ago. Went out with a neighbor and in 1 field and less than an hour we had filled up 2 buckets full. Lots of the magic 'uns available too... :whistle:

i agree mate can not beat mushrooms out the fields,i was on hoilday in deven last year,uffculme(spelling)and a bloke walk in the pub with a basket full,i said how much mate for a few and he said help your self free of charge :yahoo: , top bloke bought him a pint.Do you get bluestalks(blueies)round your way?they are better than mushrooms.

Guest whippet

Not sure what blueies are mate, sound good though. My mate lives up right at the edge of the moors and his mum knows this secret spot where you can pick edible mushrooms that are about 10 inches wide, no joke.

And the rabbit is being cooked as I type, wish I could post the smell for you lot. Couldn't be arsed with a pie so we've made a caserole type thingy instead

Nice 1 whippet,

I made a rabbit stew for 5 of us at the station last night (fire station)

It went down a treat, didn't get to eat till late as we were dealing with a lightening strike from 6pm till 12,

a couple of converts though and some of the guys want to place orders, ;)

well done mate, enjoy, :good: :good:

Guest whippet

Blue Morell does ring a bell, I think I may have seen the type you describe but couldn't be sure. A quick google search only revealed 'morels' which are a weird honeycomb-like fungi, I think we've got a book on native fungi so I'll have a look tomorrow.