Leupold or Burris optics advise please.

Hi All.

I am looking for some advice please. I am looking to mount a new scope onto my 6.5x55 Tikka and have narrowed my choice down to two scopes.

Either Leupold VXIII 4.5-14X50 with illuminated Boone and Crockett reticle OR Burris Signature Select 4-16x44 with illuminated Ballistic Plex reticle.

I hunt mainly deer but do some fox and feral goat hunting also. Through trail and error I have found that my rifle has a preference for Federal 140 grain/ 9.07 gram soft point bullets, which I use for all my hunting.

Leupold suggest a zero of 200 meters for there scope with aim points for 300m, 400m, 500m, etc. from there on. I will be zeroing either scope for 100 meters. Will the shorter zero of the Leupold mean that all the aim points will also shorten and hold true i.e. 100m, 200m, 300m, etc. Etc.??

Which scope do you think has the better glass, light transmission, ease of use in the field? Which is the more rugged? As you can see I hunt in some pretty rough areas with usually awful weather. Either of these scopes are a considerable investment for me and so any advise before I make my final choice is most appreciated. I am not looking for alternative suggestions I will be buying one of these scopes. I am leaning toward one more that the other but always like to hear others opinions before making a final choice myself. Thank you all in anticipation.

Cernunnos.

its all right them saying that but other things come into play like scope mount hight. then there is what bullets your using. what fps there doing, and other things.

best thing to do is get the scope you want. and set up at the range you want and then set the target at different distances and see where your aim points come

Personally i'd go for the leupold, the warrenty is excellent, and the scope solid, personally i think better glass than the burris too,

However if you tend to zero for 100 yards the other lines on the boone and crocket reticule will be of little use, and may well be even with your zero of 200 yards...

i'd go for a duplex reticle, and then when you have a few quid to spare get turrets made to suit the round your firing,

eg. chronograph your bullets, and then get the custom turrets made to suit this bullets drop...

takes all the guesswork outta it... and is handy...

check out kenton industries.... they do really good sets.........

Snap.

Personally i'd go for the leupold, the warrenty is excellent, and the scope solid, personally i think better glass than the burris too,

However if you tend to zero for 100 yards the other lines on the boone and crocket reticule will be of little use, and may well be even with your zero of 200 yards...

i'd go for a duplex reticle, and then when you have a few quid to spare get turrets made to suit the round your firing,

eg. chronograph your bullets, and then get the custom turrets made to suit this bullets drop...

takes all the guesswork outta it... and is handy...

check out kenton industries.... they do really good sets.........

Snap.

sorry to steal your thread mate but snap that looks like a fantastic value deal for only $80. is there a catch to it?

i have a vx111 4.5-14-50 with duplex retical,personally with the type of game your goin after i would say the cross hair would be a little bit on the thin side with the standard duplex,the glass is crystal clear,however as someone mentioned on here a whle back the eye releif is very fussy on these scopes,i also got a s&b hungarian 8x56which is in a similar price range and its by far my favourite of the two,and more suited for what your going to be using it for

i have a vx111 4.5-14-50 with duplex retical,personally with the type of game your goin after i would say the cross hair would be a little bit on the thin side with the standard duplex,the glass is crystal clear,however as someone mentioned on here a whle back the eye releif is very fussy on these scopes,i also got a s&b hungarian 8x56which is in a similar price range and its by far my favourite of the two,and more suited for what your going to be using it for

Hi samasher, thank you and everyone else for the advise. A lot to think about. Do you all think a fixed power scope like the S&B mentioned ot a Leupold 6x42 would better suit the bill??

Cernunnos

Hi samasher, thank you and everyone else for the advise. A lot to think about. Do you all think a fixed power scope like the S&B mentioned ot a Leupold 6x42 would better suit the bill??

Cernunnos

s&b 8x56 all the way mate,great glass,dont get me wrong the leupold,is a great scope but just a little bit too fussy,especially in the feild for my liking,the s&b performs great on the lamp with excellent light gathering qualities,its an out an out hunting scope,that wont disapoint,600 euros is what i paid for mine ,hope this helps

I read this thread originally and said to myself "Leupold".

And today I went out and bought a Burris. I bought a Fullfield II 3-9x50 with ballistic plex ret. £299 which AFAIK is about the standard price for that model. Went out and zeroed it on my Hornet tonight, the adjustments were crisp and absolutely precise, optics are good and clear. Did some longer-range testing (normally 100 yards for zeroing) at 150, 200 and 225 yards. Bit of guesswork at 150 but everything was basically where iSnipe and the reticle said it should be, so I hit 3 shots in 3/4 inch at 200 yards, and 4 in 1/2 @ 225 yards, all in the bull straight off.

Food for thought, I'll be considering Burris a lot more in future! Didn't plan on getting a Burris, just that's what they happened to have, and it seems to work pretty well thus far. Shot a fox cub at about 120 yards later on too, and then a rabbit at about a hundred. I had an 8x56 Hungarian Schmidt on there before, and the reason for changing was that I didn't have an aim points, and that the crosshair's too thick for rabbits and foxes at more than about 120 yards. Certainly, I could see the animals in the crosshair better with the Burris, and I wasn't missing the Schmidt's overall quality either.

Mr_Logic,

That's excellent. Did you zero for 100 meters first? If so did the other aim points hold true i.e. 200m, 300m, etc.

I really like the idea of this reticle but need a zero of 100 meters, I am thinking of a fixed power scope at present because of this.

Did you get the illuminated reticle?

Can't wait to hear more,

Hope this helps,

Cernunnos.

Yep I zeroed for 100 yards, then changed ranges. With 22 Hornet the trajectory doesn't really fit the reticle, but by shooting a target at common ranges once, I know where to aim as I have a fixed reference point. For me, 150 yards = use 1st aim mark and aim low by the thickness of the 1st mark. Then at 200 yards it's take the first mark, aim high by about the thickness of the mark, at 225 yards is dead on the second mark.

For more common calibres, there is a guide to where you should be with the marks.

I really like it thus far, thin enough to use on bunnies but thick enough that you can see it.

I didn't get illumination because I've never used it on the scopes that do have it. Generally as it gets dark I'm putting the lamp on, deer occasionally get shot at this time of day but for me it's not often.

Mr_Logic.

That's great and very promising. Did the points of impact on the reticle alter much with changes to the magnification. Were you able to change the magnification with your zeroing or did you only have the scope at one power setting??

The more common calibers on the guide you mention, does it include the 6.6x55? If not does it reference the 7mm08? As they are very similer to each other.

Thanks for your help with all this.

Cernunnos.

The reticle is only true at one magnification, in my case 9x, which is all I used it on, 9x suits me just fine.

I'll dig out the box again and have a look about the 6.5, but I expect it'll be in there. Even if it's not, get the rifle out and see where the shots go against the reticle, still be very useful.