working ferrets

I know people who dont feed there ferrets before a days hunting and people who do with the old synario if you feed them they wont work and if you dont feed them they will kill in ?

whats you're veiws people ??

:signthankspin:

I dont go out to work on an empty stomach so my ferrets wont either :)

:D i agreee mate about the empty stomach :11: i feed mine once a day always in the morning and find tht my ferrets work gd. i find that as you approuch the set and make alot of noise the rabbits do tend to run to a stop end. and if you move slowly and quitely towards the set the rabbits tend to bolt :D:guitar:

thts what i think im only 17 and still young so i could be wrong but hey put me right if i am :11:

cheers devvo :guitar:

i feed ferrets every day, if they are working or not. I find it makes little difference. My ferrets will stay with a kill if they have been fed or not.

I know this because i never used to feed them before i went out and then decided to just feed them and see what it was like. worked exactly the same BUT collars went on easier and they didnt wriggle as much as they werent looking for food :good:

But hey, each to his own.

If it works, don't knock it

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Devvo: You're doing alright, mate :good:

Yep. Always fed my ferrets at night, personaly. End of the day. Gives them something to digest. Suited me because my day too was done and I was about to start relaxing. Come the morning, we were all fresh and ready for a bit of work.

But, as anyone who's worked construction knows: That good breakfast, once you've worked yourself awake, is the best damn meal and fires you up to finish the job ;) That's why I always gave mine a kidney or a bite of liver, 'Half Time'.

Oddly enough; I honestly can't remember ever having a serious lay up since I was a kid. F*** knows what I was doing as a nipper, but probably nothing right! Then again, I don't think I was particularly good as an adult either :unsure: Something worked. Probably the ferrets!

when i was younger i used to get "lay ups" every weekend !

didnt get a single one last year but my ferrets are alot smaller than the ones i had then and im probably a teeny

bit wiser :wacko:

dont know if the size matters....the mrs says it doesnt :laugh:

Guest Bigbob

I always put a rabbit in at night theres usually some left in the morning whilst im picking whos going hunting that day but if there wasn't i would give them something .Proper working ferrets are like cats they should hunt for fun ,if mine get a rabbit that wont bolt they will stay with it till its dead or they are dug too ,once they kill it they move off making no attempt to eat it

Guest rabbiter

I feed them with a hot liver during the day and if they are working hard and bolting alot of rabbits I like to change the two ferrets over for two fresh ones after two hours ,so two hours on ,two hours off ,works for me and a wee feed about every 3 hours .

I feed them with a hot liver during the day and if they are working hard and bolting alot of rabbits I like to change the two ferrets over for two fresh ones after two hours ,so two hours on ,two hours off ,works for me and a wee feed about every 3 hours .

hi mate sounds like a good rutine but isint liver bad for ferrets or is just bad for kits?

From my past experience and from others, liver for growing kits is bad news.

Causes their back legs to seeze up.

A bit if rabbit liver for grown ferrets now and again, should do them no harm.

Frank.

looks like i,m the only one that hungers my ferrets before they are worked, in the past i have tried feeding before work and didn,t do very well , now that i don,t feed before work i get better results, i only work ferrets for half a day then change to fresh ferrets, when i,m doing a job , i cannot afford to have the customer see me ferret a warren and chance leaving rabbits in to be seen the next day, when i leave a warren i know it is empty and i reckon its cos my ferrets are working hard to kill or bolt all the rabbits.each to thier own