Ive always used a rabbit head to bait the trap, urban foxes, but after watching the rat pack on bbc1, am thinking of giving garlic sausage a go

yesterdays catch

post-5267-1251725136_thumb.jpg

although you cant see it from the picture, the shot entered from top of head and exited under jaw, as per picture

we had one set one a local shoot and tried all sorts of things in it fish rabbit pheasant but only caught when we started to bait with pedigree chum but now the same trap is set on a diff shoot about 40 miles and getting results from rabbits so pays to try diff things i guess but dont forget to cover the floor of the trap with soil so they not walking onto the mesh

good luck mate

d2d

yea always used that trick when trapping mink, when am trappin them i always cover the wlole trap in sticks, leaves, stones whatever, has always worked and i do it just so they dont try to get at bait setting the door off. take it thats not an issue when trapping foxes. its the first time ive tried this method of fox trap! found a good spot not far from a chicken coupe, where the landowner is regularly having them taken cheers jamie

hi J

if its comming in for the chooks regular and thats where ya setting it then use a dead chook mate as obviously it got a liking for them, alsp do spmething about the brightness of the trap if its new, sorry if im telling you the obvious

good luck mate

d2d

i all ways cover the floor they do not like the mesh on there feet unless real hungrey i use smelly cat/dog food in a bag with perfirated holes to allow smell out and helps to get it rottening and smelly. then again my clients would,nt ware rabbit guts .townie foxes .then you have the foxes who wont go in as they have been caught and released again they dig all round baited end and under to collect the bait crafty .this calls for the 22 rimmi god i hate my job .atb noel

Live traps ,fox traps at least ,need pegging down .Slightest rock and you have a trap shy fox .Best way of baiting is to dig a hole at the bait end and [small hole ]place bait in that .Cover floor yes but dont go silly so the door wont close [yes ive done that in the early days but learn fast lol].As for trying to colour the mesh ,dont bother as a fox that is that shy wont look at a trap at all .