Bird identification?

My dog (non-working) caught a bird in the garden much to my mum's dismay: it had been hiding in the bushes and so when we let him out he found it and ran around the garden celebrating his kill (it has a broken neck). But me nor what I can think to google can identify it. So I was wondering if you guys could help. By the way, the only thing I can think of is a red grouse, but the markings on the wing dont match with pics I've seen.

Thanks all the same.

IMG_0588.jpg

IMG_0592.jpg

IMG_0591.jpg

IMG_0590.jpg

IMG_0589.jpg

Yeah I agree that it's young but it doesn't look at all like common pheasant adults, in my opinion ... but I doubt you guys are wrong, it's just that the younguns I've seen, and the adults, neither look like this one.

Ah well, thanks.

Yeah I agree that it's young but it doesn't look at all like common pheasant adults, in my opinion ... but I doubt you guys are wrong, it's just that the younguns I've seen, and the adults, neither look like this one.

Ah well, thanks.

Probably a melanistic even the hens throw unusual markings.atvb dell

Ah well, thanks.

Probably a melanistic even the hens throw unusual markings.atvb dell

that aint a melanistic mate thats just a normal cock pheasant, you can tell melanistics from a hatch.

Yes you are right only theirs that much variation now in the coulor of pheasents due to differnt strains been hatched and realised.atvb dell

I made the same mistake last week while on Holiday in Dartmoor. We took my son to a rare breeds farm near Totnes and while looking at some of the recently hatched chickens I noticed two which looked a little different, more elegant and similar to game fowl, so I asked one of the assistants what they were. You've guessed it: pheasants! Because they were in with the chickens I simply assumed it was a breed of chicken. :blink: