Raising the profile

Certainly had a great day yesterday at a village fete where my mate and I organised some ferret racing.

We had never done this before and didn't know what sort of reaction we'd get or how popular it would prove be.

Turns out we were one of the highlights. So many people came up throughout the day, having never seen a ferret before and were asking plenty of questions and had a real interest in it.

They all received some informed answers listening intently and came away happy to have learnt something.

Some people thought they were rodents! Others never knew they had sharp teeth, so I showed them! People learnt about the origins and the difference between weasels and stoats and the problems with mink.

All age ranges and walks of life enjoyed themselves.

The children absolutely loved it, we let them handle the ferrets and have their photos taken, we always had a keen crowd.

We gained more permissions from a few people who have rabbit problems.

Some old boys came up and reminisced on the days when they used to do it.

The ferrets revelled in the attention.

The racing (we held 3 races) drew a crowd and we made some money for the village.

It was a great opportunity to raise the profile of the sport and we didn't have one person who had a bad word to say, not a single anti.

Best part of the day was seeing all the youngsters confidently handling the ferrets and big beaming smiles from them and the parents.

Top day, we're definitely doing it again.

well done mate, sounds like you did a "proper job" :clapper:

yeah sure does sound a fun day & good ferret PR, amazing how many people think they are rats or big mice lol & i bet you have set off a trend now loads of kids wanting ferrets,great work mate ibet you had a blast, did you manage to stay sober all day ;) hope the next ones is just as good, keep up the good work :clapper:

regards john

well done mate, sounds like you did a "proper job" :clapper:

yeah sure does sound a fun day & good ferret PR, amazing how many people think they are rats or big mice lol & i bet you have set off a trend now loads of kids wanting ferrets,great work mate ibet you had a blast, did you manage to stay sober all day ;) hope the next ones is just as good, keep up the good work :clapper:

regards john

Cheers chaps!

It made me smile when a little girl about 6 or 7 ran back to her parents saying, "Can we get a ferret for Christmas please daddy?"

Could only manage a couple halves of cider during the day because it was too hot. We had a few afterwards though!

well done mate, I was at a village fete only last week and got chatting to the organisers who said they would be more than happy for me to do somthing with the ferrets next year. I think ill give it a go as sounds like you had a great day. Well done....

Darren

my wife runs aferret club and does a few racing events in the summer, the ferrets are a great attraction and most people are delighted to see them. As you say a lot of people have no idea about them, she was asked the last time out, are they chipmunks ?

Good on yer mate its always a good thing to educate the non ferreting people what

ferrets and ferreting is all about

So glad it all went well and the kids loved the ferrets and understood that ferts are not

the horrid savage things they are sometimes portrayed as

WELL DONE AND GOOD LUCK ON YOUR NEXT FETE

Lol yeah, I took mine down the beach because they like playing around in the cliffs and someone said it was illegal to keep wild animals.

I said that they weren't and she said "I know a lot about wildlife and squirrels are wild creatures"

I nearly pissed myself.