Tonights Foxes

Went out tonight originally to get some rabbits with the .22lr but it was chucking it down so I thought I would head down to the other farm where the farmer said he had a problem with a dog fox near the free range chicken shed and sit with the 22-250.

Being still relatively new to lamping foxes I thought I would chance my luck and parked up about a 100yards from the shed (which is built in a large hollow) with a good elevated view of both sides. I hoped the fox would appear before the light went but it didn't and eventually after an hour of waiting and the light had finally disappeared I flicked on the night vision scope (not on the rifle , just using it as a spotter) and saw 3 foxes appear.

I was a bit nervous as I now had to ditch the NV and use the lamp with my free hand whilst steadying the rifle from the pickup. Sighted up on the closest one about 80yards away and down it went, the others bolted right away. I was quite pleased with myself and I then turned the lamp off and sat tight a few minutes to see if the other two turn would reappear (a long shot I thought but I had already sat for over an hour so I thought another 5-10mins wouldn't really matter).

This time I rested the rifle across the bonnet flicked on the NV and I couldn't believe it, one of the other foxes returned and was sniffing round the one I had just shot! I did the same again and put the lamp on and took aim and again the fox dropped. By this time the adrenalin was really pumping as I would have been happy to shoot just one fox in a night! I went over to grab the dead foxes and take a couple of photos on my phone.

As I headed back to the car I flicked the lamp round and saw the eyes of the 3rd fox sitting at the edge of the treeline, would I be jammy enough to bag a third fox I thought. This time I got my mp3 player and speakers out and sat them on the bonnet and put on the cottontail download I got off Varmint Als website a couple of nights ago and then picked up th NV again and I couldn't believe my luck the other fox started heading back towards me! I fumbled for the lamp again and flicked it on but I was struggling to co-ordinate the lamp and look through the scope. the fox had turned and was now heading away by this time but it stopped for a moment just as I picked it up in the sight and down it went, when I went to pick it up as you can see from the photo there was not much of its head left. Anyway I left them for the farmer to find in the morning so I imagine I will be in his good books, just a shame it is now 3.50am and I have to be at work for 9am lol

post-19182-1249095655_thumb.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done dave you managed to go 1 better than me,me and my mate had went up to 1 of our permissions at the request of the farmer to do a bit of ratting with the air rifles.On getting there he was still out and about as a cow had just calved so we went to our range in 1 of his fields and had a wee bit of practise with our 17hmrs(my mtes only had his a few weeks and still getting a feel for it).After everything had went quiet we went to the bit where the farmer had sited the rats but after an hour we only got 1 shot of(the weather was terrible tho)so we had a quick look under the chicken barn where there are always rats i got a couple of rats before the rest bugged of down there holes then moved to where there are usually ferals roasting and got 3 of them .So off for a run round the fields in the disco ,after a few empty fields we sat next to the pylon that is 100 yds from the fence line onto a reedy marsh ,after 5 mins of squeaking just over the fence line on top of the dung heap a pair of eyes appeared so gun shouldered and a 17hmr round knocked the vixen down ,after retrieving getting a pic etc we turned the disco round to exit the field and head home i flicked the lamp on again and to our amazement there were another 3 sets of eyes ,2 sets just about 100yds from us and about 200 from where we had just picked up the first so lamp back over to mate rifle up and down goes number 2 his pal bugged of but the 1 further up the field was still there but wouldnt sqeak in so we drove up to the top of the rise in the field and there it was so lamp back over to mate rifle up but missed ,me mate had a bad angle and was slightly shining the beam back in thru the wind screen and into the back of the scope but as i didnt think i would have much time i took the shot with the restricted view ,the fox did jump about a foot in the air but id hit the ground beside it.We rapped it at that as it was nearly 12 and my mate was up a 5 for work.will post pics once i work out how to do it.

BTW hope it wasnt to long winded :icon_redface:

The 22-250 certainly packs the punch I hoped it would have and I like not having to really think about holdover....just point and aim upto 300 yards!

I hope to get a C/F soon but just lovin the step up from air rifle to bullet gun the now the best ive done is a 120ish yd fox with my 17hmr.