Set off to one of my permissions around half 6, drove to a high point which overlooks the full valley and had a good glass for half an hour or more.... Plenty of my last years pheasants but no sign of any roe.

Arrived at my starting point shortly after, got all the gear on and had another look with the binos, still nothing. Had a walk round for a further half hour checking the usual hot spots, spotted a doe with a set of large twins in a long grass field and watched her for a short while before they slipped away into a standing wheat field. As I lifted my line of sight from the wheat I spotted the tell tale red colour of another roe 3 fields away, I couldnt tell what it was because it had its head down feeding but obviously decided to have a stalk and try get a better view.

After crawling on my hands and knees for 2 fields I got into a spot I thought I'd easliy be able to tell its sex and sure enough it was a buck. I cautiously snook down the back of a dyke to where I knew there was a gap and could possibly get a shot. Another last check confirmed the buck was still there, I slowly set my quadsticks up and steadied the 308. With the crosshairs place just behind the shoulder I gently squeezed the trigger and the successful 'thump' of the 150gr Winchester round was evident, the buck lurched forward and stumbled, it then jumped into a small kopice and it all went quite. I was confident and waited a good few minutes before going to inspect the site of the shot. There was splatter of blood on the grass behind where the buck had been, and a trail leading 10yards into the kopice where the buck was laying stone dead. While gralloching afterwards, I found the heart was completely destroyed.

It was an ideal young cull buck, and had a small 5 point head but it could have been a gold medal head for all I cared, the stalk was absolutely brillaint. Woollyback :D

post-27614-1249063557.jpg

nice shooting, how do you find the quad sticks?

Now i've used them abit they're brilliant, the setting up just took abit of mastering ie not making any noise and the least possible movement. The buck was shot at 124 yards and killed with a perfect heart shot. The gun felt like it was in a vice and there was no movement at all, overall very impressed with them.

Hi well done to you i have shot hundreds of roe & am lucky to have medal bucks & have 3 golds to my name & got the silver/bronze too. As you say some of my best stalks are of lesser bucks even does & i enjoy taken people/friend's out & whatching them shoot & get enjoyment from seeing there faces. I also enjoy the many sites you see at all times of year while stalking & have seen a young yearling buck & fox playing together with a friend that was great.

Set off to one of my permissions around half 6, drove to a high point which overlooks the full valley and had a good glass for half an hour or more.... Plenty of my last years pheasants but no sign of any roe.

Arrived at my starting point shortly after, got all the gear on and had another look with the binos, still nothing. Had a walk round for a further half hour checking the usual hot spots, spotted a doe with a set of large twins in a long grass field and watched her for a short while before they slipped away into a standing wheat field. As I lifted my line of sight from the wheat I spotted the tell tale red colour of another roe 3 fields away, I couldnt tell what it was because it had its head down feeding but obviously decided to have a stalk and try get a better view.

After crawling on my hands and knees for 2 fields I got into a spot I thought I'd easliy be able to tell its sex and sure enough it was a buck. I cautiously snook down the back of a dyke to where I knew there was a gap and could possibly get a shot. Another last check confirmed the buck was still there, I slowly set my quadsticks up and steadied the 308. With the crosshairs place just behind the shoulder I gently squeezed the trigger and the successful 'thump' of the 150gr Winchester round was evident, the buck lurched forward and stumbled, it then jumped into a small kopice and it all went quite. I was confident and waited a good few minutes before going to inspect the site of the shot. There was splatter of blood on the grass behind where the buck had been, and a trail leading 10yards into the kopice where the buck was laying stone dead. While gralloching afterwards, I found the heart was completely destroyed.

It was an ideal young cull buck, and had a small 5 point head but it could have been a gold medal head for all I cared, the stalk was absolutely brillaint. Woollyback :D