Suggestions

I think we're going off track a bit here, there is no problem with the amount of posts that break rules in here, I can deal with them easily enough.

If someone posts about Foxes/Deer with Airguns then they're deleted, straight away.

Minor infractions are dealt with via the Warn system and if they get to as you say three strikes, or 30%, then i'd be considering deleting them anyway.

But this place is not one which takes up all of my time with members breaking the rules, what I was looking for with this thread is how to curb the same topics, asking the same questions, being asked all the time.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peronally I dont think it needs curbing, new members will always ask the same thing, whether its to make their first post and get there membership started or just some thing to say or even talk to folk, which is what a forum is for, if I dont like one of the posts then I give it a wide berth, you cant have a single section and please every one on it, folk will form there own little groups with like minded people, but this post already seems to be causing divisions, people will leave the site one way or another, I dont think its the crap posting, I think its the needless bickering that kills a section, we need kids to come into the sport so we can pass on out knowlage and invest in them for the future, its unfortunate that they lark about, but thats life, clip there lug holes and move on!

In light of recent topics and in particular, Polls in this section, I get the feeling that it is turning into a bit of a nonsense part of the forum, where the kids can come out to play without repercussion.

That isn't what I want this section to become. It has a reputation as a valuable and level headed section where shooting skills are exploited and shared with others, but it seems to be getting the point of no return, with the same topics, asking the same questions, with very little theory being put into practice.

I ask a simple question,

What do you want to see from this section?

ATB

SS :thumbs:

Good Topic It,s about time this one was put to bed

To be a good shot with an air rilfle takes a long time.Not slaging of bullet or shotgun.

First of all A Lot of youngsters or first timers get a rilfle and have no one to teach them properly

They dont know how to zero a site or range it

So they come on here and ask for advice.Fine makes good sence

Then all the bickering starts.Get this one or that one.1.77 or.22 is the best Make ,Modle How much cash are you willing to part with

Not a lot of people ask. Why do you want the gun.What is it for.What are you hoping to shoot with it.

How old are you.How tall are you What is you weight.No point in telling a guy that weight ten stone to buy a Pro Sport ( to heavy)

Do you need a gun for stalking or decoying.Do you know feildcraft how and where to build a hide wind shift flight paths what time of year is best

What do you you need it for magpie crow rabbit squirrel All most of them seem to do is argue about there best shot.Before someone stars giving me pellter have been shooting for over 30 years.atb. Catcher 1 :thumbs: Hope you get some results mate great topic.

In light of recent topics and in particular, Polls in this section, I get the feeling that it is turning into a bit of a nonsense part of the forum, where the kids can come out to play without repercussion.

That isn't what I want this section to become. It has a reputation as a valuable and level headed section where shooting skills are exploited and shared with others, but it seems to be getting the point of no return, with the same topics, asking the same questions, with very little theory being put into practice.

I ask a simple question,

What do you want to see from this section?

ATB

SS :thumbs:

Good Topic It,s about time this one was put to bed

To be a good shot with an air rilfle takes a long time.Not slaging of bullet or shotgun.

First of all A Lot of youngsters or first timers get a rilfle and have no one to teach them properly

They dont know how to zero a site or range it

So they come on here and ask for advice.Fine makes good sence

Then all the bickering starts.Get this one or that one.1.77 or.22 is the best Make ,Modle How much cash are you willing to part with

Not a lot of people ask. Why do you want the gun.What is it for.What are you hoping to shoot with it.

How old are you.How tall are you What is you weight.No point in telling a guy that weight ten stone to buy a Pro Sport ( to heavy)

Do you need a gun for stalking or decoying.Do you know feildcraft how and where to build a hide wind shift flight paths what time of year is best

What do you you need it for magpie crow rabbit squirrel All most of them seem to do is argue about there best shot.Before someone stars giving me pellter have been shooting for over 30 years.atb. Catcher 1 :thumbs: Hope you get some results mate great topic.

post-34669-1248527298.jpg

" What would I like to see from the air gun section?" you asked SS? :hmm:

Well, for starters, I would like to see a hell of a lot less bitching and slating off of people in here - it happens all too bloody often, don't you think mate? :yes:

I would (like most others) to see less of subjects being done to death as well - time and again.

With regards to young or in-experienced shooters, would it be a good idea to have a thing sort of like FAQ, but for total newbies, as opposed to those who have started a while ago and are now getting into it proper, like? Then those of the membership willing to help them, could simply look in now and then and help out with their own knowledge?Instead of having like, 50 armchair critics jumping all over them (AND bitching!!) - you get what I mean, I'm sure bud. ;) I look in regularly, and while not posting in everytime I am around, I will help out with a suggestion or two when I can - no hesitation or problem with that on my part. :thumbs:

I can fully reallise that you, as an individual, can only ask for, or do so much, but surely it makes good sense for someone like yourself, who is 'in touch' with the mob, to be listened to? :yes:

Regards,

Grim.

hi there guys i think a good start would be to disable the poll option

and then the second is if someone ask's for a bit of advice dont just type up use the search (if you know there is a post relating to there question paste the link and help them out a little.

also dont go slagging them off just cause they ask a silly question may sound silly to us experienced shooters but not to a begginer.

just my thoughts on the matter

atb rob

Edited by spike25blue
I think we're going off track a bit here, there is no problem with the amount of posts that break rules in here, I can deal with them easily enough.

If someone posts about Foxes/Deer with Airguns then they're deleted, straight away.

Minor infractions are dealt with via the Warn system and if they get to as you say three strikes, or 30%, then i'd be considering deleting them anyway.

But this place is not one which takes up all of my time with members breaking the rules, what I was looking for with this thread is how to curb the same topics, asking the same questions, being asked all the time.

I gladly eat my words, i've always wondered how that warn thing worked.

I gladly eat my words, i've always wondered how that warn thing worked.

Like to find out? :laugh:;)

A few good points there lads. But I dont know why folk moan about newbies posting the same things all the time, if you dont want to answer them then dont, leave it to some one that does, because once the newbies become confident on this section they will take their turn to answer other newbies like we did, and thats how it works, putting them down will only drive new and possilbly good members away, its the people that dont want to help newbies that jump on them with smart arse comments that are the problem, they dont enhance the section and only turn up when somebody asks an age old question that every one asks when starting out in airgunning, just to post a derogatory answer, so what are the mods going to do when someone posts a derogatory answer after some one hits the report button, because thats the only way to sort these school yard tossers out, I'd like to think that pinning the most obvious and rhetorical questions would be the answer, but when I came on here I was a forum virgin, so for me as a newbie you'd have had to pin the pinning thread, or have drawn me a map :D

I think that it would be beneficial to split the airgun section into two sections as has been said previously.

Maybe a beginner, and advanced section, as age is irrelevant much of the time as some of the youngsters on here probably know just as much if not more than some of the older members.

But at the end of the day whether or not people would use them correctly is left to be considered :whistling:

One other suggestion would maybe to include an FAC section so people do not have to post in the rimfire section as some people who do not shoot SGC /FAC may be missing out on some of the related topics posted there. FAC is a bit vague at the minute, and having a dedicated section where people considering putting in for an FAC air rifle, or wanting to share information on them would certainly make finding out information more precise and easier to find.

So that would include three sections in all,

1. Beginner

2. Advanced

3. Fac air

? Im sure youllcome up with something mate, if not just ban it all ! saves all the hassle :laugh:

Sometimes I feel like banning everything but i've resisted thus far ;)

I think splitting the section is a good idea, though I don't believe splitting it by the persons ability is a great idea. Those who are in the Beginners section would end up asking each other the same question and getting nowhere as the Advanced, more knowledgable members would stick to the advanced section.

I like the idea of keeping the main section as one for Shooting Reports and putting all Technical, Maintenance and Help topics in one of the sub-forums, hopefully to be renamed. I'm happy enough to move every topic that is meant for the Technical forum into it until members get the message that the main section is for shooting reports.

maybe not a section for beginners to post on per se - but perhaps a beginners section full of useful sticky posts - ones that have been moved over from the regular section when seen as good info - lock em too maybe!

plus having it as its own area means no miles of scrolling down screen to get to the daily posts (somesites i use are sticky mad - just gets in't way!!

at least then people can be referred to this section if they ask something thats already been done to death

some things are bound to come up more than once 'whats the fill pressure for xxx' etc - probalby not a sticky in the way that 22/177 springer/pcp questions come up

would like to see seperate technical / hunting sections just for ease of reading too - but may generate fewer answers as people may not make a point of going to technical section if they dont have a problem themselves where as it stands you see all posts and maybe answer if you get my drift

atb

chris