Dogs that go to ground after rabbits.

Does anybody else have a small type terrier that goes to ground after rabbits? I've got a small, 10" JRT that flies down if there's anything at home. I know it's not a true test of an earth dog, but it's good fun all the same.

Does anybody else have a small type terrier that goes to ground after rabbits? I've got a small, 10" JRT that flies down if there's anything at home. I know it's not a true test of an earth dog, but it's good fun all the same.

NOT GOOD WHEN THEY BACK FILL THEMSELVES & YOU HAVE TO DIG THEM OUT.. GREAT AS A MARKING DOG FOR FERRETING THO :thumbs:

NOT GOOD WHEN THEY BACK FILL THEMSELVES & YOU HAVE TO DIG THEM OUT.. GREAT AS A MARKING DOG FOR FERRETING THO :thumbs:

Yeah, that's what I got her for originally. Problem is she's that small, she flies down after them if there's anything there & the hole's big enough! :laugh:

HPIM1052-1-2.jpg

Guest rodsmith

if mine took a liking to rabbit, :hunter: :headshot:: . the ground i work them on can be hard going.spending a few hours digging to a rumble beneath and lots of baying and screaming,then you break through,pull the terrier back,shine up the tube and see some lovely red eyes and big droopy ears!!!

oh my days,the shit hits the fan(or the lead hits the terrier!!)

if mine took a liking to rabbit, :hunter: :headshot:: . the ground i work them on can be hard going.spending a few hours digging to a rumble beneath and lots of baying and screaming,then you break through,pull the terrier back,shine up the tube and see some lovely red eyes and big droopy ears!!!

We're not all into the red fellas though mate! :D She probably would work fox if she was entered properly, I've been on digs with her grandsire a good few times. He's a great dog, a baying type hunt terrier that gets used in places like farm tips where a dig is nigh on impossible. He hardly ever has to be dug to, but doesn't give in until the fox bolts.

Guest rodsmith

We're not all into the red fellas though mate! :D She probably would work fox if she was entered properly, I've been on digs with her grandsire a good few times. He's a great dog, a baying type hunt terrier that gets used in places like farm tips where a dig is nigh on impossible. He hardly ever has to be dug to, but doesn't give in until the fox bolts.

got 1 the same here mate,worth thier weight in gold!!!! got room for plenty more but i rarely hear of them up for grabs.

got 1 the same here mate,worth thier weight in gold!!!! got room for plenty more but i rarely hear of them up for grabs.

I SHOOT WITH A MATE THAT HAS 4 & HIS PUT IN MORE GRAFT THAN MOST SPANIELS IVE SEEN, WE ROUGH SHOOT OVER THEM

ON REED BEDS & THEY MARK THEM IN STONE WALLS TOO.

Interesting, does she ever manage to actually catch them and pull them out? How often does she scare them out of another hole? Or does she not go in deep enough? Has she ever got stuck or does she always manage to get out herself?

Interesting, does she ever manage to actually catch them and pull them out? How often does she scare them out of another hole? Or does she not go in deep enough? Has she ever got stuck or does she always manage to get out herself?

She's flushed a few out of one massive set at the end of last season, and caught another in one. Touch wood, she hasn't got stuck as yet, she's small all over, not just in height. She hasn't been in that many big warrens, only the one I just mentioned. I don't go out solely putting her to ground after rabbits, I work her with the ferrets, but I like to see her going to ground now & again. :thumbs:

One of her on the way in:

19-04-09_1150.jpg

She's flushed a few out of one massive set at the end of last season, and caught another in one. Touch wood, she hasn't got stuck as yet, she's small all over, not just in height. She hasn't been in that many big warrens, only the one I just mentioned. I don't go out solely putting her to ground after rabbits, I work her with the ferrets, but I like to see her going to ground now & again. :thumbs:

One of her on the way in:

19-04-09_1150.jpg

hahaha cool picture, cool little dog. Cheers for the pic. Thats the type of terrier I'm after. I want one that does that but doesn't go down after fox or badger or anything other than rabbits. As you use her for ferreting, does she tend to leave other underground dwellers alone? Or will she go to ground in anything large enough to fit in regardless wether there is somebody home or not?

my pat x is a bugger for going down rabbit holes ,the other week she even managed to turn round down there ,i was expecting pulling a leg to get her out but got a snotty nose instead .its not fun when your in a rush in a morning to go to work though