Raw & complete

Guest MOLLY

I know you are not supposed to mix raw with complete feed, due to the different levels of digestion. My question is why?

Why is it wrong to have different foods digesting at different times from one feed?

MOLL.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its to do with bacteria/ stomach upsets. Dogs are able to digest meat quickly, kibble takes longer. When you feed them together the kibble absorbs the stomach acids and thus the meat stays in the stomach longer than it should. This enables bacteria in some meats to spread within the dogs stomach + cause upsets.

jon

Guest Ditch_Shitter
Any thoughts?

Only a passing muse on why bother to put the 'complete' stuff into the mix at all. But then, I too chuck all sorts in with my lots meat. I guess we all have our favoured recipes and reasons :good:

Incidentally; I get my dog meat from the local butchers. He's crafty and chucks a LOT of fat in there. He's doing this because we have to pay directly, by the pound, for our waste disposal. Sneaky devil. I pay Him to help dispose of His waste! :blink: I then - and this is my main point - micro wave the raw meat, to melt away all the fat he's minced into it. So my lot don't, strictly, get fed " Raw ".

Oh. And I also occassionaly sling big hunks of purely raw meat out on the land for them. They enjoy that and get fat as moles for a day or two on it. But then they always start fetching bits in and trying to bury them in my arm chair and such :sick: Not sure I can reccomend that for house allowed dogs!

Guest Ditch_Shitter
:unsure: Sorry, Red Tail. I understand perfectly that You use plain biscuit. I was just using your initial " Any thoughts " as a spring board. I suppose I should have quoted your own 'ATs', then stitched in the bits of the others comments. But I didn't want it to get laboured and complicated ..... like this :blink:
raw meat & veg can/t go wrong, leave the dry stuff for the hamsters, :laugh:

Ive found a butcher that will give me ckicken carcases and bones ect,ive tried feeding my terriers and lurcher on it but it makes them shit concrete.i tried adding a bit of dried complete feed in with it but they leave it.

is this constipation normal for dogs on butchers meat?any suggestions?

i feed a mixture that way the dogs digestion is used to variety and they get a wide range of nutrients. i worry a little that the weird and wonderful world of diets to be found as a human preoccupation has started to get into the dog world what next plastic surgery for the lurcher?

Guest MOLLY

Thanks for the replies :good:

So i gather it is ok to feed both complete and barf as long as you feed it at different times?

How long do you think it takes for the dog to digest raw, or untill the complete has absorbed all it will?

MOLL.

Guest MOLLY

One of my dogs looks terrible on barf...i havent the foggiest why :unsure: , ive tried increasing the feed etc but no difference. When looking back through old piccies i found some of her looking amazing, and she was fed on Eukanuba then. So a while back i put her back on it and she is looking good again. But i still want her to have raw and bones.

MOLL.

Guest MOLLY
stevesel,your probally giving the dog too much bone to meat ratio,chicken carcass is mostly bone,and dont forget a little offal,too much of which can make a dog loose

:good: , if mine get too much bone i have the same probs...i only give bone about 2-3 times perweek now, not everyday.

MOLL.