OK Corral comes to Reading...

Out with Deker last Saturday night (small hours into Sunday) on one of his permissions, it's basically a leisure complex, but they have cricket and football pitches which is what we're protecting from rabbits.

Started annoyingly - we'd just got there and walked off to the nearby football club, which is also one of Deker's permissions - just got there and the coppers turned up. Turns out they were trying to find a dodgy van which had been seen in the area, but we were asked for paperwork etc. Credit to them, they were courteous to us which was nice, but they had no idea on firearms.

They asked us for FACs, so I dug mine out (when we'd walked all the way back to the motor - joy!) and the guy thanked me and then said he would have to call the ARV since he had no idea if it was genuine or not - he'd never seen one before! I informed him that there was a national firearms database, and that he could radio in to have it checked. So he did. 15 minutes later, when they'd worked out how to log into the database, all was well! Just crossing the t's and dotting the i's, and in an urban environment they can't be too careful, but how hard would a half day's training on firearms laws be?!

Anyway, Boys in Blue departed, we set off again. Deker spied a rabbit pretty soon, and knocked it down easy, then another as we neared the football ground again. getting in there, I shot at and missed a couple of sitters, not quite sure what was happening there, rifle seemed off-zero. Deker had one more in the football ground and we headed back to the complex.

Luckily, Deker had a zero card so we put that up and I sorted my rifle, which was an inch high. Shot a couple of bunnies in the back fields, and then we headed round to the cricket bit. AFAIK, the groundsman says that's the worst bit, so we got set up before the lamps went on, expecting a couple to be sat out.

There are two very nice spots to set up - one is the decking outside the pavilion, which is where I went, and the other is a couple of picnic tables 25 yards down from there. Both set, we put the lamps on, and quickly spotted a load of bunnies.

Deker fired first, and hit, and then I shot one also. Rabbits were clearly confused by the sound as they didn't know which way to run, so both of us were firing as fast as we could at these rabbits. Think we both got through a mag and a bit of ammo - absolutely manic! We were the amidst the smell of burnt powder, tinkling as spent cases hit the concrete below us - like something out of a film and tremendous fun.

That mad spree accounted for 7 rabbits, by which time I think evening's total was about 13 or 14. We went back round the back, having disposed of corpses and picked up brass, and shot a couple more. A quick look round and back to the motor.

I just said to Deker I'd have one more quick butcher's out the back, just on the off-chance, and more rabbits had appeared. So, 2 more rabbits shot, we departed. Final tally 18 bunnies and good fun had!

Just back from the same place, got there 04.35 and left about 06.50. Coincidentally I got 18 bunnies again. The cleaners in the pavilion had a ringside seat and the HMR was in fine form again. I have to be out of this place by 07.00 as the staff and customers start turning up for the fitness centre, also had a guy turn up for the allotment next door at 06.45 who was a bit taken aback!! No coppers this time though!

Last trip out I finished up my Hornady red tips and before I get to the blue ones I've decided to use up a couple of hundred Remington Accutip-V I recently got cheap. They shoot a little higher than the Hornady and to my surprise they are doing very well, I had a box of these shortly after I got the gun and was not that impressed. 19 shots today, the one I missed was about 180 yards and I think it was me, I put it over it's head, all of the other 18 shots accounted for a bunny each!

Longest today was 161 yards, only about 3 or 4 were less than 100 yards.

Downside was the steady drizzle which has left me and the gun soaked!

Hey Ho!! :thumbs:

Guest rodsmith

nice one.assume you mean reading in berkshire?? im a junction from you.do you not see many foxes round there?? the only time i night fished there i heard no end of foxes calling and smelly pakis talking.lol..

nice one.assume you mean reading in berkshire?? im a junction from you.do you not see many foxes round there?? the only time i night fished there i heard no end of foxes calling and smelly pakis talking.lol..

Plenty of foxes usually...one was screaming its head off when we were talking to the police!!!