Flea Infestation

Can anyone help me, i have a problem involving fleas. My girlfriends dog has them and no matter what i do i cant get rid of them. I have tried flea shampoos, powders, and even collars. the only thing that worked was the collar which was effective for about a week, then low and behold they returned. I dont really want the expense of vet bills so if anyone knows of the 'magic cure' please let me know. The dog is a five year old black labrador bitch.

Regards,

Sam

Can anyone help me, i have a problem involving fleas. My girlfriends dog has them and no matter what i do i cant get rid of them. I have tried flea shampoos, powders, and even collars. the only thing that worked was the collar which was effective for about a week, then low and behold they returned. I dont really want the expense of vet bills so if anyone knows of the 'magic cure' please let me know. The dog is a five year old black labrador bitch.

Regards,

Sam

hI Sam

try frontline spot on you can buy at most pets shops or vets

or from the vet try Advocate both are very good ,l think you

can get Advocate on line

hope this helps

Frankie

had a similar problem a few yrs back may sound silly but cured it with garlic through food and benzyl benzate now i always feed dogs some garlic once a month not say it right it just what i do raw food daily but kibble help now and then

Also, i thought i would mention, there is also a collie bitch and another labrador bitch and they have the problem too.

Regards,

Sam.

No problem Sam

Frontline and Advocate both come in a pack of 3 pipettes one for each dog lasts for one month

Regards Frankie

had a similar problem a few yrs back may sound silly but cured it with garlic through food and benzyl benzate now i always feed dogs some garlic once a month not say it right it just what i do raw food daily but kibble help now and then

How much benzyl benzoate do you apply and where because i know it burns the skin if you put to much on. we have benzyl and garlic for the horses so i will be giving it a try, Thanks.

Regards,

Sam

How much benzyl benzoate do you apply and where because i know it burns the skin if you put to much on. we have benzyl and garlic for the horses so i will be giving it a try, Thanks.

Regards,

Sam

Hi just take the hit for frontline/advocate i use frontline from petmeds free postage. This gives you 3 pipets in a pack & sorts it out & for DOGS sake get on with it it must be driving them mad & not nice to live with & for your health. you will need to get a weight idea of your dogs to order the frontline etc.

You need to treat the beds as well. If they are inside dogs, basically you'll need Canovel or one of the sprays & spray the house from top to bottom. It will drive you nuts, move all furniture before you spray & then leave doors shut for bout 30 mins.

Remove all dogs bedding- wash beds, blankets towels -anything you use on them. Same if they are outside dogs- if on straw/papers- throw it.

It you do it properly you will only need to do it once- go onto Frontline- it does work & quickly plus it breaks the cycle. I dont do mine 3 dogs every month- do them every 8 weeks now.

Bath the dogs in flea shampoo first though to at least give you a few less to deal with.

Mine in the fields & corn every day- once you get on top of the problem its easy & the Frontline spot on is a doddle to use- I normally zigzag it about on back of neck rather than leave in one place

I have tried the benzyl, the dogs arn't scratching anymore but there is still fleas on them. 2 of the dogs live outside in a stable on"dog matresses" and one lives in the house.I will get frontline spray and treat them again, i will try a combination of the tratments, shampoo and frontline aswell as treating the house. Never realised how expensive it was to keep fleas as pets!! :laugh: Im gonna try and kill the b******* once and for all, if i ever see another flea in my life it will be too soon!!

Will post a comment to let you know how i get on. Thanks for the advice gents,

Regards,

Sam ;)

I have tried the benzyl, the dogs arn't scratching anymore but there is still fleas on them. 2 of the dogs live outside in a stable on"dog matresses" and one lives in the house.I will get frontline spray and treat them again, i will try a combination of the tratments, shampoo and frontline aswell as treating the house. Never realised how expensive it was to keep fleas as pets!! :laugh: Im gonna try and kill the b******* once and for all, if i ever see another flea in my life it will be too soon!!

Will post a comment to let you know how i get on. Thanks for the advice gents,

Regards,

Sam ;)

Dont get the spray its a pain to use just get the pipets of frontline & dont let them get wet for a couple days after the application.

The reason you keep getting them back is because the off-the-shelf Shampoo only kills the ones on the dog at that time so their still in the bedding plus it won't kill the eggs so 6-8 days later your back to square one!.

I used to use Frontline but have now swapped to Advocate pippets as this also prevents fungal infections on the skin. ( Mange, Ring worm etc.)

I apply it in three spots, back of the head, between shoulder blades and base of the tail.

This treats the dog for at least a month (I can usually leave it 3 month's to be honest) and soaks into the skin so when the flea bites them it dies.

The dogs then are like a walking flea killer! mopping your house, garden and kennel free from fleas.

Edited by bullmastiff
  • 3 weeks later...